Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:25 PM

38 posts, read 101,505 times

Advertisements

Racial crimes doesnt mean that minorities dont face non-criminal behavior. I posted this in my reply to aad2h "The racial issues I personally faced came from my wife's friends (who are more close-minded than her), a church (isnt that bad?) and police who watched me run through the park thats in the Highlands and then get in my car and drive off---the reason they pulled me over was 'suspicious behavior'---their words, not mine. They didnt charge me with anything but tried to trip me up on information such as my address, birthdate, etc."

If you want me to go into more detail on the first two, feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 04:50 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz69 View Post
Racial crimes doesnt mean that minorities dont face non-criminal behavior. I posted this in my reply to aad2h "The racial issues I personally faced came from my wife's friends (who are more close-minded than her), a church (isnt that bad?) and police who watched me run through the park thats in the Highlands and then get in my car and drive off---the reason they pulled me over was 'suspicious behavior'---their words, not mine. They didnt charge me with anything but tried to trip me up on information such as my address, birthdate, etc."

If you want me to go into more detail on the first two, feel free to ask.
I am not denying that you may be telling the truth, but your anecdotal evidence goes against what everyone else here has said. Also, I always find it odd when brand new posters sign up and 80% of their first few posts are something negative about a city they left. However, you are certainly entitled to your civil opinion. I am sorry you did not feel welcome in Louisville because I certainly do and I am Arab American.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:45 PM

38 posts, read 101,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I am not denying that you may be telling the truth, but your anecdotal evidence goes against what everyone else here has said. Also, I always find it odd when brand new posters sign up and 80% of their first few posts are something negative about a city they left. However, you are certainly entitled to your civil opinion. I am sorry you did not feel welcome in Louisville because I certainly do and I am Arab American.

I created this account to ask questions about the current city we live in. I did think it was worthwhile to inform others about a city I did live in prior so that I am contributing as well.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz69 View Post
I created this account to ask questions about the current city we live in. I did think it was worthwhile to inform others about a city I did live in prior so that I am contributing as well.
As long as you are civil, you are entitled to any opinion you like. Thanks for the discussion.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:43 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Sorry I missed out on this discussion. I just wanted to interject something. I grew up in Chicago and have lived in ALOT of places, both overseas and throughout this great country of ours. I currently live in the Seattle area, which is, as you may know, a hotbed for "progressive" thinking and prides itself in being racially diverse. That being said, I do NOT agree with the notion that Louisville is prejudiced or not racially/ethnically tolerant of others. My beloved Chicago, contrary to outside perception, is very segregated for being a cosmopolitan city in so many other ways. In Seattle and much of the Pacific Northwest, I've noticed that blacks and whites may hang out together or socialize, but it's less about the friendship and more about proving that their NOT racist. There is something very unauthentic about the dynamic, (and I can't really put it into words; you'd have to see it for yourself). It's more about making a statement than actually seeing beyond color. WHen I was in Louisville and S Indiana, I did not get that vibe at all. Now I understand that most cities have segregated neighborhoods to some degree, but I felt in Louisville that these relationships I saw: black and white men fishing together, black and white women hiking together, walking together down the street, that there was something much more authentic in their interaction. It wasn't "cool" or "hip" to hang in order to prove that you're not racist. Rather, being together was just the way it was. No statement, no alterior motive. I once had a black person here in Seattle tell me he was moving back to the KY neck of the woods because "At least back there, if someone doesn't like you or if they're racist, you know about it. Here, everyone is polite to your face while they stab you in the back." No joke.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Sorry I missed out on this discussion. I just wanted to interject something. I grew up in Chicago and have lived in ALOT of places, both overseas and throughout this great country of ours. I currently live in the Seattle area, which is, as you may know, a hotbed for "progressive" thinking and prides itself in being racially diverse. That being said, I do NOT agree with the notion that Louisville is prejudiced or not racially/ethnically tolerant of others. My beloved Chicago, contrary to outside perception, is very segregated for being a cosmopolitan city in so many other ways. In Seattle and much of the Pacific Northwest, I've noticed that blacks and whites may hang out together or socialize, but it's less about the friendship and more about proving that their NOT racist. There is something very unauthentic about the dynamic, (and I can't really put it into words; you'd have to see it for yourself). It's more about making a statement than actually seeing beyond color. WHen I was in Louisville and S Indiana, I did not get that vibe at all. Now I understand that most cities have segregated neighborhoods to some degree, but I felt in Louisville that these relationships I saw: black and white men fishing together, black and white women hiking together, walking together down the street, that there was something much more authentic in their interaction. It wasn't "cool" or "hip" to hang in order to prove that you're not racist. Rather, being together was just the way it was. No statement, no alterior motive. I once had a black person here in Seattle tell me he was moving back to the KY neck of the woods because "At least back there, if someone doesn't like you or if they're racist, you know about it. Here, everyone is polite to your face while they stab you in the back." No joke.
I actually met with cobolt and gave her a brief tour...I believe this was her initial comment to me, that she could not believe how many interracial couples she saw walking around like it was just normal.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:02 AM

7 posts, read 17,248 times
AAD2H,

I am actually moving to Lville in the next 3 months and would appreciate any info you obtain for my own knowledge. I am 27 and moving from Atlanta where it is very "clicky" so to speak. Thanks,

Matt

Old 06-25-2008, 03:40 PM

10 posts, read 34,522 times
Mac55,

I should also be there in the next couple months- haven't been extended a formal offer just yet for the job I am applying for, but am expecting one very soon as they called today to make sure I was still interested in relocating. I have also been accepted to UofL for grad school, so either way I think I'll be making my way up. I anticipate moving around the first of August.

I was interested in Atlanta, as a few of my friends moved down there after college- they love it and I love visiting there, but not sure how much I'd actually want to live there though. Cost of living is a bit too high for me at this time, and the traffic scares me!

Hopefully Louisville has lots to offer and plenty of cool young professionals to meet. I've heard almost all positives so far, so that is encouraging.

Post on this thread or DM me if you have any specific questions (don't know how helpful I can be just yet), or get any more insight on the city in the near future. Have you already decided on an area to live, made visits up, etc? I have been up once for my job interview, but have visited a couple times with a friend who grew up there. He loves it and says he thinks the city will fit my personality (whatever that means!) He said its a cool place, pretty accepting, and that I shouldn't have a problem meeting people as a newcomer.

Anyway, good luck on the move up! Be sure to keep in touch and let me know of any info you find.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:08 PM

Default It's official!

Well, I got the job offer last week! I put in my two weeks notice at my old job today and registered for grad classes at UofL...all thats left to do now is find a place to live and make the move! I just wanted to thank everyone for their help and insight thus far. I will more than likely be needing more of it now that the fun part is coming up...finding a place to live!

I am sort of hesitant to buy just yet as I want to make sure I like the job/city and get more of a feel for all the neighborhoods first. I've been looking online and have found quite a few potential rentals on the Old Louisville site. In an earlier post, I was advised against OL as my job will be on Shelbyville Road in the Hurstborne Business Parkway. Is this the general consensus? I REALLY like some of the places that I am seeing in that area, but I do not want to create too huge of a problem for myself with my commutes. I will be checking out the Cherokee Triangle and Clifton Hills areas once I am able to get up there and look around as well.

I was advised to check out the Clifton Hills,St.Matthews, and Lyndon areas by the people at my new job, as most of them live around there, but it seems to me that they may be more "suburban-friendly"?? Is that about right? I am really looking for something with a more urban feel-somewhere that is more chill, laid back, and with more people my age and more things around than just a bunch of huge cookie cutter shopping centers.

I am defintely nervous about starting all over again, but I am excited- can't wait for these two weeks to be over!

Old 07-22-2008, 05:09 PM

Default oops

I meant just the St. Matthews and Lyndon areas were referenced by future co-workers...they didn't say anything about Clifton Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area