Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,885 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I am moving to Louisville for a new job that starts on August 1st. I just found out that I got the job on Monday so I'm in a tight spot trying to quickly find an apartment. I currently live in Washington, DC and am doing my entire search from DC. However much I'd like to, I most likely will not be able to come and look at apartments in person due to time constraints with my current job.

I have found an apartment that I love that is in Jeffersonville, IN. It is a townhome, so ground level entry points. It is right near Jeffersonville High School/River City Park (around E 10th Street and Allison Lane). Is this area safe? I am a single 23yo female who will be living alone.

Would I actually enjoy living here? I'm not looking to be downtown in the action. I'm okay with a suburban community. Everyone keeps telling me the East End, but it seems too congested, too commercial, and for any respectable apartment, slightly out of my budget ($600-700).

I've also heard terrible things about crossing the bridge. But I will be working 6:30am-3:30pm. Should I be concerned about traffic on the bridge?

I greatly appreciate any replies to my questions! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 04:50 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snllama View Post
Hi Everyone!

I am moving to Louisville for a new job that starts on August 1st. I just found out that I got the job on Monday so I'm in a tight spot trying to quickly find an apartment. I currently live in Washington, DC and am doing my entire search from DC. However much I'd like to, I most likely will not be able to come and look at apartments in person due to time constraints with my current job.

I have found an apartment that I love that is in Jeffersonville, IN. It is a townhome, so ground level entry points. It is right near Jeffersonville High School/River City Park (around E 10th Street and Allison Lane). Is this area safe? I am a single 23yo female who will be living alone.

Would I actually enjoy living here? I'm not looking to be downtown in the action. I'm okay with a suburban community. Everyone keeps telling me the East End, but it seems too congested, too commercial, and for any respectable apartment, slightly out of my budget ($600-700).

I've also heard terrible things about crossing the bridge. But I will be working 6:30am-3:30pm. Should I be concerned about traffic on the bridge?

I greatly appreciate any replies to my questions! Thank you!
As someone who is going the opposite direction (Louisville to Arlington, VA) I'll chime in.

I don't think Jeffersonville would give much to worry about in regards to crime. However the issue is that the I-65 bridge that links Jeffersonville and Louisville is undergoing construction and is wreaking havoc for drivers at all hours. The backup connection which is the 2nd St bridge won't be much better.

For your criteria, I'd suggest looking South of I-265 in areas like Fairdale, Fern Creek, etc. I think there are spots there that are in your range but safe and less East Endish. I'd also look at Clifton or Crescent Hill. While they are technically East End I looked at places there that seem to fit your criteria that aren't very East Endish.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:11 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
It is a safe area, but rather boring. You are very close to nearby shopping on other necessities that include Meijer and Kohls.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:00 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,231 times
there are a couple apartment complexes there (10th st and allison ln.) that are kinda old and have some not -so-desireable neighbors. I would definately put your search light on the side of the river that you will be working. plenty of safe, affordable areas in louisville that offer a lot more than jeff. the commute from jeff, albeit short mileage wise, is a nightmare. the highlands is my favorite neighborhood in town and you could def. find something there in your price range. clifton is another good choice.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 6,615 times
Stay away from French Quarter apartments on 8th street that are located near Allison lane. Always a rough area there. typically the more outskirts of town you are the better. I am not really crazy about Jeff so I live a few miles north in Sellersburg. Pretty calm here.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:48 AM

5 posts, read 12,728 times
I'd also recommend living on the same side of the river you're working on, the commute is far easier that way. Your schedule definitely makes that better as that's generally going in and leaving before the bulk of the traffic, but I'd still avoid it. Jeffersonville is far safer than DC as a whole, though some apartment complexes are always questionable everywhere. Been a long time since I've rented, so I can't offer any suggestions there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area