U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2008, 08:48 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,097 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I are looking for an affordable,friendly area to move our family & Louisville is on the short list. We currently live in Western NY state and honestly,we have never been crazy about this area. Taxes are crazy,people are rude,the schools are mediocre,etc.
We are looking for a family friendly place that we can actually afford to live in when we get there. I have a lot of questions because we've never been to Kentucky and really don't know everything we probably should know before we take the leap. So here goes my list of questions:

In Louisville itself,are there any houses in good neighborhoods for rent? We don't want to buy before we try(we learned that lesson already and are currently getting ready to put this house up for sale)

My hubby is used to having a large yard(we have an acre which I know won't happen in Louisville lol) and doesn't like not having a yard,so somewhere with some kind of back yard would be ideal.I think that if there was a tiny private area in the back with a park across the street he'd be able to adjust.Is there anything like that?

What price range should I expect to pay for monthly rent.Honestly,every area in the country has been a major sticker shock for me! Rent for decent houses in good neighborhoods in WNY max out at $900 and home prices are 1/3 of what most other areas pay.It must be because our taxes are crazy as well as our utilities? I pay 3,000 a year in taxes on a house that's market value is 77,000 & taxable amount is 55,000 and my utilities are about 250 a month for a small energy efficient home.Larger homes in this area are no strangers to 4-500 monthly gas bills.

What neighborhoods would be a target area for a family?Good public schools are a must.Private school for 4 kids just will not be possible.

My husband works in the shipping/receiving field & should be able to transfer with the company he is with now, but in case that doesn't work out for the long run,I'm concerned with the job market outlook. Has there been an increase or decrease of jobs in the area? Some websites I've looked at report positive growth and others say negative,so I'm wondering what is the opinion of someone who actually lives there?

I have been a stay-at-home mom forever and never was able to go to college. My youngest will be in kindergarten,so I'd like to be able to work part time and go to school part time.What options for colleges are there in Louisville,or is there a website I can visit to get a general idea?

Maybe a silly question, but according to the cost of living calculator, your food is cheaper. How much is a gallon of milk? A large can of regular run of the mill Folger's coffee? If my milk & coffee is cheaper it may just be worth the move since we go through enough of it around here

Any other info that someone who has never lived or been to Kentucky and knows absolutely nothing should really know before they make a decision?

Thanks so much! I've read a lot of threads for the past few days on many different areas of the country and it seems that Louisville is one of the cities with the most positive responses from people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2008, 09:11 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
11,161 posts, read 23,129,501 times
Reputation: 11145
If you want a more urban area with good schools your best bet would be Crescent Hill, St Matthews, or Audubon Park. If you want a more suburban area then the best schools are in the Northeast suburbs (North of Bardstown Rd along I-265), Oldham and Shelby counties also have very good public schools, Bullitt & Spencer counties have worse schools based on statewide testing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 05:32 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 20,947,225 times
Reputation: 2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnomore View Post
My hubby is used to having a large yard(we have an acre which I know won't happen in Louisville lol) and doesn't like not having a yard,so somewhere with some kind of back yard would be ideal.I think that if there was a tiny private area in the back with a park across the street he'd be able to adjust.Is there anything like that?
There are a few neighborhoods in Louisville you can get an acre. Fairdale, Valley Station the the SW part of the county and several in the high end neighborhoods. Or you could go to a surrounding county like Oldham (GREAT schools), Bullitt or Hardin. Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 05:32 AM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,824 posts, read 13,559,933 times
Reputation: 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnomore View Post
Hi. My husband and I are looking for an affordable,friendly area to move our family & Louisville is on the short list. We currently live in Western NY state and honestly,we have never been crazy about this area. Taxes are crazy,people are rude,the schools are mediocre,etc.

We are looking for a family friendly place that we can actually afford to live in when we get there. I have a lot of questions because we've never been to Kentucky and really don't know everything we probably should know before we take the leap. So here goes my list of questions:
You should find several places in the Louisville market a great place to raise a child x 4.

In Louisville itself,are there any houses in good neighborhoods for rent? We don't want to buy before we try(we learned that lesson already and are currently getting ready to put this house up for sale)

Don't limit yourself to Louisville proper. FYI, there is a nice brick 4 bed for rent in the area for $ 1800 per month.

My hubby is used to having a large yard(we have an acre which I know won't happen in Louisville lol) and doesn't like not having a yard,so somewhere with some kind of back yard would be ideal.I think that if there was a tiny private area in the back with a park across the street he'd be able to adjust.Is there anything like that? Don't come with any preconceived "can'ts"

What price range should I expect to pay for monthly rent.Honestly,every area in the country has been a major sticker shock for me! Rent for decent houses in good neighborhoods in WNY max out at $900 and home prices are 1/3 of what most other areas pay.It must be because our taxes are crazy as well as our utilities? I pay 3,000 a year in taxes on a house that's market value is 77,000 & taxable amount is 55,000 and my utilities are about 250 a month for a small energy efficient home.Larger homes in this area are no strangers to 4-500 monthly gas bills. Taxes in the area range from about .8% to 1.5% of the property's fair market value.

What neighborhoods would be a target area for a family?Good public schools are a must.Private school for 4 kids just will not be possible. Oldham County schools are as good as any private/parochial school in Jefferson County. If you live in Jefferson County with elementary/middle school aged kids, odds are you will want private/parochial.

My husband works in the shipping/receiving field & should be able to transfer with the company he is with now, but in case that doesn't work out for the long run,I'm concerned with the job market outlook. Has there been an increase or decrease of jobs in the area? Some websites I've looked at report positive growth and others say negative,so I'm wondering what is the opinion of someone who actually lives there?Tie down a job before you move! There are good jobs here, but the industrial sector is in quite a bit of termoil right now. Ford and GE are area industrial leaders and both are in layoff stages.

I have been a stay-at-home mom forever and never was able to go to college. My youngest will be in kindergarten,so I'd like to be able to work part time and go to school part time.What options for colleges are there in Louisville,or is there a website I can visit to get a general idea?U of L, Jefferson Community, Indiana University offer good public college programs.

Maybe a silly question, but according to the cost of living calculator, your food is cheaper. How much is a gallon of milk? A large can of regular run of the mill Folger's coffee? If my milk & coffee is cheaper it may just be worth the move since we go through enough of it around here Shopping the big boxs (Walmart, Costco, Sam's) milk has been $ 3.50-3.80, coffee $ 4.50

Any other info that someone who has never lived or been to Kentucky and knows absolutely nothing should really know before they make a decision?
Kentucky will love you, but only if you love Kentucky. Don't come here and hide in your cave.

Thanks so much! I've read a lot of threads for the past few days on many different areas of the country and it seems that Louisville is one of the cities with the most positive responses from people.
Take your time, but hurry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
666 posts, read 2,386,474 times
Reputation: 275
i used to live in WNY, in East Aurora, where do you live now if you dont mind me asking? you might want to look into Oldham County in places like Crestwood and Pewee Valley, they have homes there with bigger yards with cheaper prices, and youre still 10-15 minutes away from shopping, the movie theater, ect. Oldham County also has excellent schools.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 06:06 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,097 times
Reputation: 12
We are in Brocton,NY. Maybe that's why we can't stand WNY because of this town... Let's just say we've decided to homeschool our kids until we can get out.

Thanks for all of the info.We're still in the idea and research stage of relocation.Our biggest hurdle will be selling the house. We've only owned it for 2 1/2 years,but with 4 kids I'm going to be painting for a week straight
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2008, 09:41 PM
 
Location: louisville, ky
257 posts, read 828,692 times
Reputation: 96
i'm not really sure why everyone seems to think jefferson county elementary and middle schools are bad. i believe most schools in the east end will give anyone a superior education. i'm a twelve year graduate of the jefferson county public school system. i graduated second in my high school class and with honors. i've felt very prepared for college. to note, i'm in the engineering field and have a year left for my bachelor's. i've never had a problem with the jcps system. i'm not bragging at all; i guess i'm just saying that of course it can be done. there are very very nice homes in the eastern parts of louisville where you can get very sizeable yards for your children. you don't have to move outside the county. since the actual urban core is skewed to the extreme part of jefferson county, there is lots of room within jefferson county in which to find a home. i'm sure with gas prices the way they are, it would also probably be most plausible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2008, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Louisville, KY
68 posts, read 213,379 times
Reputation: 35
Thank you BW87a! I have lived all over the city including Oldham and Bullitt Counties. As a mother of three (one not yet in school, one in high school and one in elementary with special needs), I have been thru more schools than most. I've found pros/cons in every school my son has attended. If your children are of average to normal intelligence, they should do well in any school in which they attend.
I disagree that schools in the east end or Oldham County are better, but will totally agree that they are probably safer. Just my opinion and not based on fact.
If you have a child with special needs, however, be prepared to fight your way thru the hoopla of the school system bc ECE SUCKS! Yeah, I said it. I meant it. 6 long years and my son is finally in a classroom where he can excel.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2008, 12:32 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,778 times
Reputation: 15
Default Jcps

I'm also tired of people saying private schools are a must in Louisville. The truth is, if your children are motivated and want to learn, they have all the opportunities they could want in JCPS. I grew up in PRP/Iroquois and went to Trunnell, King, Noe, and PRP. I was in the advance program so I was kept with other students who actually wanted to learn and don't have any regrets. I'm at my final year at Ohio State and will be graduating magna *** laude, so I felt very prepared. The state testing system is completely useless, as many students who don't care about education (as I saw first hand) would simply guess on all the problems before taking a nap. I would only suggest private schooling if you have children who need to be forced to learn. As far as what area of the city is best for schools, it doesn't matter if your children are motivated enough to apply to go to one of the magnet schools. I've heard that some cities make parents pay for children to go to a school if it isn't the one in their district, but this isn't the case in Louisville. My home school was either Iroquois or Doss, but there was no way I was going to waste 4 years there, so I applied to PRP and Manual and decided to go to PRP. According to state testing, PRP is a horrible school, but if you only examined the advance program students it would be a completely different story. 90% of the teachers I had were completely commited to their students and I don't think any other high school would have better prepared me. I know 9 out of 10 people in the city would say Manual is the best public school, but I feel that's only because most of the smartest kids go there and get the same education as they would at PRP, Male, Eastern, etc.

I've enjoyed my years here in Columbus, and plan on staying for a few more either here or Chicago for work. But I definitely plan on returning to Louisville by the time I'm 30 and starting a family so I'm sure you'll love the city.

Sorry if this post seemed unorganized or rambling, but it's 2:30 AM and I've been studying all night.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2008, 05:25 AM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,824 posts, read 13,559,933 times
Reputation: 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRPtoOhio View Post
I'm also tired of people saying private schools are a must in Louisville. The truth is, if your children are motivated and want to learn, they have all the opportunities they could want in JCPS. I grew up in PRP/Iroquois and went to Trunnell, King, Noe, and PRP. I was in the advance program so I was kept with other students who actually wanted to learn and don't have any regrets. I'm at my final year at Ohio State and will be graduating magna *** laude, so I felt very prepared. The state testing system is completely useless, as many students who don't care about education (as I saw first hand) would simply guess on all the problems before taking a nap. I would only suggest private schooling if you have children who need to be forced to learn. As far as what area of the city is best for schools, it doesn't matter if your children are motivated enough to apply to go to one of the magnet schools. I've heard that some cities make parents pay for children to go to a school if it isn't the one in their district, but this isn't the case in Louisville. My home school was either Iroquois or Doss, but there was no way I was going to waste 4 years there, so I applied to PRP and Manual and decided to go to PRP. According to state testing, PRP is a horrible school, but if you only examined the advance program students it would be a completely different story. 90% of the teachers I had were completely commited to their students and I don't think any other high school would have better prepared me. I know 9 out of 10 people in the city would say Manual is the best public school, but I feel that's only because most of the smartest kids go there and get the same education as they would at PRP, Male, Eastern, etc.

I've enjoyed my years here in Columbus, and plan on staying for a few more either here or Chicago for work. But I definitely plan on returning to Louisville by the time I'm 30 and starting a family so I'm sure you'll love the city.

Sorry if this post seemed unorganized or rambling, but it's 2:30 AM and I've been studying all night.
The key to what you say is "advanced program." I am one who continually blasts JCPS in favor of parochial, Oldham, or Indiana schools. Not once in my blasting have I ever said a child can't get a good education in JCPS. What I have said is that the odds are better. The sad part of JCPS is that there are some outstanding schools, but for every great JCPS school there are two bottom dwellers. The odds of a newly relocating family getting their child(ren) into Manual or Male for example is nearly zero.

Under any reasonable standard whether it be educational, social, civic, political, or economic, busing is a terrible failure. Since this is a presidential election year, all one must do is to simply ask the Reaganistic question, "after 30 years of busing, are the children of color better off as adults than they were?"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top