U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2008, 02:21 PM
 
2,410 posts, read 5,279,923 times
Reputation: 1901

Advertisements

How is downtown Louisville? Has there been redevelopment with some charming shops and museums? Thanks for the info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2008, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
666 posts, read 2,376,196 times
Reputation: 275
yes there is 4th Street Live with many bars and nightclubs, and many other parts of 4th Street has a lot of restaurants and shops, West Main Street also has a lot of art galleries, and cafes. I dont know the last time youve been downtown but a lot has changed in the past 10 years. There is more development on the way with Center City and Museum Plaza.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2008, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Kent, Washington
10,254 posts, read 20,077,696 times
Reputation: 10280
Still pretty much of a dump.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2008, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 20,870,030 times
Reputation: 2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Still pretty much of a dump.
You are such a doll
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2008, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
209 posts, read 681,769 times
Reputation: 136
A dump? Huh? Even with Museum Plaza on hold, there is a ton of important real estate in development. It's full of activity and interest. Downtown Lexington, on the other hand, looks like a town of about 75,000 in 1967.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2008, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Kent, Washington
10,254 posts, read 20,077,696 times
Reputation: 10280
Quote:
Originally Posted by louroclou View Post
A dump? Huh? Even with Museum Plaza on hold, there is a ton of important real estate in development. It's full of activity and interest. Downtown Lexington, on the other hand, looks like a town of about 75,000 in 1967.

Tout it all you want, downtown is still a dump. Lots of emptiness and parking lots, depressing. An interstate running along the river. We checked it out with a mind of moving there, no way.

Rapping Lexington won't make Louisville any better. Downtown Lexington is no great shakes either but it's not a sprawling mess. And it's small enough to walk easily.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2008, 04:44 PM
 
6,972 posts, read 15,095,019 times
Reputation: 3404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Tout it all you want, downtown is still a dump. Lots of emptiness and parking lots, depressing. An interstate running along the river. We checked it out with a mind of moving there, no way.

Rapping Lexington won't make Louisville any better. Downtown Lexington is no great shakes either but it's not a sprawling mess. And it's small enough to walk easily.
Honest criticism is well taken, but trying to start a pissing match with a much larger city is not. Louisville indeed has too many parking lots downtown, but there is lots of infill in progress and more to come. To compare downtown Louisville and downtown Lexington is beyond laughable.

If the big three projects get going (museum plaza, arena, and center city) it will amount to 1 billion in projects with just this three and another 1 billion in medium to smaller projects. I'd imagine that is about comprable to the amount of development in ALL of fayette county. But again, this is not not a pissing match. For pics and development news, check our development sticky. Some projects are going slow but none have been cancelled.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2008, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Kent, Washington
10,254 posts, read 20,077,696 times
Reputation: 10280
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Honest criticism is well taken, but trying to start a pissing match with a much larger city is not. Louisville indeed has too many parking lots downtown, but there is lots of infill in progress and more to come. To compare downtown Louisville and downtown Lexington is beyond laughable.

If the big three projects get going (museum plaza, arena, and center city) it will amount to 1 billion in projects with just this three and another 1 billion in medium to smaller projects. I'd imagine that is about comprable to the amount of development in ALL of fayette county. But again, this is not not a pissing match. For pics and development news, check our development sticky. Some projects are going slow but none have been cancelled.

I'm not the fella that brought up Lexington here or started comparing them. And while saying I shouldn't start a pisssing match you then procede to continue one. Odd.

Regardless of what downtown Louisville may someday be right now it's nothing much. Like I said, we investigated and found it lacking.

If you want only positive and boosterish opinions you ought'a say so.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 06-13-2008 at 05:33 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2008, 08:26 PM
 
6,972 posts, read 15,095,019 times
Reputation: 3404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'm not the fella that brought up Lexington here or started comparing them. And while saying I shouldn't start a pisssing match you then procede to continue one. Odd.

Regardless of what downtown Louisville may someday be right now it's nothing much. Like I said, we investigated and found it lacking.

If you want only positive and boosterish opinions you ought'a say so.
Well, if we were to rank regional downtowns from IL, IN, MO, TN, MI, WV, OH and KY, here is how Louisville stacks up:

1 Chicago
2 Indianapolis
3 Nashville
4 Memphis
5 Louisville
6 Columbus
7 Atlanta
8 Cincinnati
9 Saint Louis
10 Cleveland
11 Grand Rapids
12 Knoxville
13 Lexington
13 Kansas City (before KC live opens fully when it will jump to number 6 or so)
13 Detroit
16 Fort Wayne17 Charleston, WV

So, if you have honestly traveled you will see that Louisville stacks up pretty well. I would be highly surprised if you even knew half of what exists in downtown Louisville.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2008, 09:23 PM
 
2,104 posts, read 6,364,479 times
Reputation: 1526
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Well, if we were to rank regional downtowns from IL, IN, MO, TN, MI, WV, OH and KY, here is how Louisville stacks up:

1 Chicago
2 Indianapolis
3 Nashville
4 Memphis
5 Louisville
6 Columbus
7 Atlanta
8 Cincinnati
9 Saint Louis
10 Cleveland
11 Grand Rapids
12 Knoxville
13 Lexington
13 Kansas City (before KC live opens fully when it will jump to number 6 or so)
13 Detroit
16 Fort Wayne17 Charleston, WV

So, if you have honestly traveled you will see that Louisville stacks up pretty well. I would be highly surprised if you even knew half of what exists in downtown Louisville.

So, did you just make up a list based on your opinion as "proof". That is honestly amazing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top