Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:12 PM

31 posts, read 52,077 times

Advertisements

One thing that continues to confound me is the prevalance of just plain bad driving in Louisville. Never have I seen so many people running red lights, making left/right turns out of the middle lane, making u-turns in the middle of traffic, etc. And this is just on the surface roads.

What's even more incredible is that these type of things happen right in front of the cops and nothing happens. I have seen a handful or less people pulled over in a year's time. What does it take (cameras?) for people to actually drive with a little respect for everyone else around them. The city's coffers seem pretty dry. Why not raise some money from the people who are making it unsafe for the rest of us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 10:30 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,548 times
did you come on this site just to complain about everything? because thats what it seems like.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:05 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basinstblues View Post
One thing that continues to confound me is the prevalance of just plain bad driving in Louisville. Never have I seen so many people running red lights, making left/right turns out of the middle lane, making u-turns in the middle of traffic, etc. And this is just on the surface roads.

What's even more incredible is that these type of things happen right in front of the cops and nothing happens. I have seen a handful or less people pulled over in a year's time. What does it take (cameras?) for people to actually drive with a little respect for everyone else around them. The city's coffers seem pretty dry. Why not raise some money from the people who are making it unsafe for the rest of us?
I haven't been to Louisville to experience the drivers first-hand but i will go all-in and say that Louisville drivers are better than DC drivers. DC drivers drive so horribly it makes your trip to the store dangerous. The police are totally apathetic towards the drivers. I think cameras are nothing but revenue raisers and cant replace the human part of a live cop.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:45 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
The big thing about Louisville area drivers that newcomers must try to learn as fast as they can. We don't use turn signals because you should have known where we were going.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:41 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I haven't been to Louisville to experience the drivers first-hand but i will go all-in and say that Louisville drivers are better than DC drivers. DC drivers drive so horribly it makes your trip to the store dangerous. The police are totally apathetic towards the drivers. I think cameras are nothing but revenue raisers and cant replace the human part of a live cop.
I was going to say the same thing lol DC has some CRAZY drivers!

Old 06-24-2008, 07:46 AM

7 posts, read 17,242 times
Atlanta drivers are pretty bad too. You have to merge onto the hwy at 85mph and dont even bother looking in your rearview to see the Semi about to run you over.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:13 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
I think you'll always find a place with worse drivers. Louisville drivers are a dream compared to Seattle. People here have absolutely NO concept of how a four way stop sign works. It's hilarious. Everyone approaches with the deer in the headlights look and then no one wants to go first because no one remembers who has the right of way. THen all four drivers attempt to go at the same time. It rains here 10 months out of the year, yet people suddenly forget how to drive when it rains. Well how can that be when it rains ALL the time??? It's crazy. I could go on and on, but Louisville is a dream. When I was in Missouri last summer, I approached a 4 way stop sign and the drivers handled it flawlessly. I thought "FINALLY!" LOL...

Old 06-24-2008, 11:11 AM

31 posts, read 52,077 times
Sure, drivers in D.C., Atlanta, Chicago, etc. are bad too. The difference, and I should have used this qualifier earlier, is that people in Louisville are generally otherwise so conservative and cautious. There's a hint of snow and people leave work hours early. There actually is snowfall and people drive 10-20 mph. How this and otherwise horrible driving? Also, Louisville is basically a large town. It's not like you can't get anywhere in 20 minutes or less.

Maybe it's a national problem because of cell phones. I don't know. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone blatantly run a red light or drive recklessly and LMPD is right there to just let it go. What does it take to get pulled over here?

Last edited by basinstblues; 06-24-2008 at 11:20 AM..

Old 06-24-2008, 02:03 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basinstblues View Post
Sure, drivers in D.C., Atlanta, Chicago, etc. are bad too. The difference, and I should have used this qualifier earlier, is that people in Louisville are generally otherwise so conservative and cautious. There's a hint of snow and people leave work hours early. There actually is snowfall and people drive 10-20 mph. How this and otherwise horrible driving? Also, Louisville is basically a large town. It's not like you can't get anywhere in 20 minutes or less.

Maybe it's a national problem because of cell phones. I don't know. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone blatantly run a red light or drive recklessly and LMPD is right there to just let it go. What does it take to get pulled over here?
Why don't you keep testing it out and let us know?

Old 07-04-2008, 11:03 PM

6 posts, read 18,702 times
Drivers are bad here in San Diego too. We have had problems with drivers running red lights, so now we have an auto camers device that photographs the driver and license tag, and those people who get caught receive citations in the mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: