U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 12:09 PM

11,093 posts, read 22,993,388 times

Advertisements

This is G-R-E-A-T new for Louisville's Ford plants!!! Focus sales have increased 35% in the past year, making it a sure bet in a new era of high gas prices

Ford to build Euro-developed 2011 Focus at two U.S. plants | Automotive News Blog - Wide Open Throttle
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 12:22 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,949,542 times
Great!

Kentucky and Louisville need to do even more aggressive work to secure jobs that will faster propel our country into the environmentally-friendlier world we're being forced into. With high gas prices, increasing fuel taxes, strengthening EPA and state env. regulations, and people's general desire to save more money, the Focus should be just step #1 of many in helping Louisville become a city that makes a large positive carbon footprint.

Actually, I personally wish the EPA, fuel taxes, Louisville's reformulated gas, and nutty environmentalists didn't exist. But since they do and aren't going away, Louisville needs to make the very best of it.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:28 PM

The Focus already has an established market, while the rumors of a new cross vehicle production at Louisville's Ford plants would be a complete unknown. The Focus is actually one of the best selling cars in the UK

Personally, I'm a Toyota man who wouldn't drive a new Ford if someone gave me one, but I'm glad that this is great for the local jobs and tax revenues

Old 06-25-2008, 12:31 PM

6,986 posts, read 15,116,255 times
I have mixed feelings. Louisville needs to replace manufacturing jobs in general. 20 years from now, the "Focus" plant will be in the same discussions. Still, not bad news in light of recent manufacturing losses. KY should not sit on its laurels however and orvide BIG TIME incentives and tax breaks to companies looking at right to work states like TN and NC so KY can shine economically like them.

I guess this news is not official or the CJ would have had something???

Old 06-25-2008, 12:50 PM

688 posts, read 2,882,540 times
WHAS 11 had a story on it - they said that Ford wasn't officially commenting but that it looked pretty up-and-up:

Ford Focus may be coming to Louisville's Ford plant | LOCAL NEWS | WHAS11.com | News for Louisville, Kentucky (http://www.whas11.com/news/local/stories/WHAS11_080624_LocalBusiness_FordFocus.36c5eb1b.htm l - broken link)

Old 06-26-2008, 08:42 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,532,402 times
Considering the direction the SUV market is going, this has to be great news. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:19 AM

51 posts, read 125,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I have mixed feelings. Louisville needs to replace manufacturing jobs in general. 20 years from now, the "Focus" plant will be in the same discussions. Still, not bad news in light of recent manufacturing losses. KY should not sit on its laurels however and orvide BIG TIME incentives and tax breaks to companies looking at right to work states like TN and NC so KY can shine economically like them.

I guess this news is not official or the CJ would have had something???
STX, this so true. I grew up in N.E. Ohio (Akron/Canton) and the area has done an absolutely terrible job of making the transition to a non-manufacturing based economy. Instead of developing a workforce and attempting to attract new technology, they have spent their capital trying to resurect a manufacturing base that simply no longer exists.

Steviep

Old 06-29-2008, 06:55 PM

27 posts, read 75,514 times
Default manufacturing base?

Well, I wouldn't say that the manufacturing base no longer exists. New manufacturing plants are springing up all the time -- they're just going to low tax, low regulation states rather than high tax, high regulation states like Ohio. Manufacturing output isn't at an all-time high, but it's higher than it was earlier in this decade. Alabama and other southern states have more factory jobs than ever.

I know the weak dollar helps too, but pursuing manufacturing job growth can make sense in places where the average person is bright enough to learn but might not have a college degree.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:12 PM

The plans to move all SUV production and half of Ford Focus production to Louisville is now official

Louisville, Ky., Ford plants to shift production (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: