U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 08:58 AM

37 posts, read 141,340 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Louisville for a weekend soon do a little sightseeing and to scope out the area as a possible place to move. From everything I have been reading on the forums I plan on checking out the Highlands. I have a couple questions I hope you can answer! First of all my boyfriend and I are in our early 30s and professionals. We enjoy live music, checking out local ethnic restaurants, bookstores, parks, farmers markets, etc. We like to go out but really aren't into the "party" scene.
-Does The Highlands seem to be a place we would "fit" in? Are their any other areas we should check out?
-Is the whole area pretty safe? Are there certain areas to avoid? What are the most desirable areas of the highlands?
-any recomendations on things to do/ places to see when we are in town?
-What is the job market like in Louisville for teachers?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 10:26 AM

11,109 posts, read 23,017,050 times
The Highlands would be the best place for you, with Frankfort Ave (Clifton/ Crescent Hill/ St Matthews) a close second. There aren't any unsafe residential areas any of the afore mentioned areas - most crime is people leaving bars at 2am getting robbed on occasion. I lived in Original Highlands for 1 year and didn't have any crime or noise problems at all.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:20 AM

Thanks! Any places we would try to visit while we are roaming Louisville? Any great restaurants to try? we eat mostly vegetarian.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:50 PM

7,000 posts, read 15,137,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPb78 View Post
Thanks! Any places we would try to visit while we are roaming Louisville? Any great restaurants to try? we eat mostly vegetarian.
join www.louisvillehotbyes.com (broken link) forum. not many cities this size have a foodie community on line like that. They offer fast and friendly advice for food, especially veggie, better than I can.

Search my older posts for MANY MANY things to do. I do believe my posts, along with censusdata's, provide the most unique ideas at urban attractions, restarants, and nightlife.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:27 PM

thanks!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPb78 View Post
thanks!
Here are some more resources:

The Highlands of Louisville, KY USA home page

Backseat Sandbar

Consuming Louisville

Home | LEO Weekly

Velocity Weekly - Louisville, Kentucky

There is LOTS to do here. Louisville has almost every thing a really big city has (on a smaller scale of course) except pro sports and super upscale shopping like Neiman Marcus. It is still a crazy sports town, it is just UL and UK, and UL games are great social events. There is also some decently upscale shopping at many locally owned boutiques (ask if you have questions).

This is a very vague description that may be good for a newcomer:

Louisville travel guide - Wikitravel

(ignore the dining recs and go to louisvillehotbytes forum for those).

Finally, start exploring the Highlands and city at street level using google street view...its almost as good as being there and saves you gas !!!!

Old 07-04-2008, 09:32 AM

6 posts, read 16,053 times
You have to go to Lynn's Paradise Cafe, it was featured on the Food Network. It is actually on Barret Ave which runs parrell to Bardstown Road. You can ask anyone and they can tell you where it is....you MUST have a burbonball Milkshake!

Old 07-04-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevih View Post
You have to go to Lynn's Paradise Cafe, it was featured on the Food Network. It is actually on Barret Ave which runs parrell to Bardstown Road. You can ask anyone and they can tell you where it is....you MUST have a burbonball Milkshake!
Its ok...Toast and Wild Eggs are better for breakfast.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:24 PM

6 posts, read 17,474 times
And do not miss Impellizzeri's Pizza!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:39 PM

Thanks!! Great ideas! I'm excited to check out the city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area