Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 10:09 AM

8 posts, read 26,412 times

Advertisements

I've been reading that the East is safer for a newcomer. So I've planned to avoid the West until I get familiar with Louisville. I know it seems stupid but I have to get a feel for my surroundings first.

Well now it looks like I might have to go there anyhow. How would you describe the general area or feel of Dixie Hwy in Southwest Louisville. I'm sure it depends on where but I dont have the address. All I know right now is that it is near a clerks office.

I know every town has it's scarier areas, is this one of those areas that I should avoid? if so is it safe during the day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 01:35 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Areas south of the Rockford Lane/ Gagle Ave area are safe. There is a lot of nice new developments in the Terry Rd and Pages Lane area

Old 06-15-2008, 05:59 PM

Ah ok, thanks. Im meeting in Sears Essential, near Upper Hunters Trace if Im not mistaken. I just looked at the area you were talking about on google maps. Looks like its in the clear. So it's fairly safe, good. So you haven't heard anything about that particular area (muggings, shootings, car theft, murders, scams)?

Old 06-15-2008, 07:08 PM

153 posts, read 538,010 times
My brother lives on Pikes Peak Rd. and I find his neighbors to be good hardworking people.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:15 PM

257 posts, read 881,121 times
hey, i've lived in the pleasure ridge park area for 21 years. the area is very safe to me. it's not, obviously, growing as fast as the east end. it is, however, getting much better retail additions to the area. i agree with census; there are many nice new areas on terry road. the area is expanding its hospital, has a community college, a nice new super walmart center on the greenbelt, and is also home to the expansion of the parks system at the boat docks. i believe this area will see a resurgence in the coming years. the area is a very hardworking area too. you will find your spots of well manicured lawns and spots where it seems to be pretty run down. it just depends on what you're looking for.
they are building these nice new homes/town homes on greenwood road right east of terry road. you should check them out! i think they are really nice!
New Homes St. Louis, Atlanta, Louisville and Kansas City - McBride & Son Homes Home Builder, Developer (http://www.mcbridehomes.com/community.asp?communityID=163 - broken link)

Old 06-15-2008, 07:35 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuchlonger View Post
Ah ok, thanks. Im meeting in Sears Essential, near Upper Hunters Trace if Im not mistaken. I just looked at the area you were talking about on google maps. Looks like its in the clear. So it's fairly safe, good. So you haven't heard anything about that particular area (muggings, shootings, car theft, murders, scams)?
I live in that area and I have never had any problems. What neighborhood are you talking about? Dixie is a big 'ol place!

Old 06-15-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
hey, i've lived in the pleasure ridge park area for 21 years. the area is very safe to me. it's not, obviously, growing as fast as the east end. it is, however, getting much better retail additions to the area. i agree with census; there are many nice new areas on terry road. the area is expanding its hospital, has a community college, a nice new super walmart center on the greenbelt, and is also home to the expansion of the parks system at the boat docks. i believe this area will see a resurgence in the coming years. the area is a very hardworking area too. you will find your spots of well manicured lawns and spots where it seems to be pretty run down. it just depends on what you're looking for.
they are building these nice new homes/town homes on greenwood road right east of terry road. you should check them out! i think they are really nice!
New Homes St. Louis, Atlanta, Louisville and Kansas City - McBride & Son Homes Home Builder, Developer (http://www.mcbridehomes.com/community.asp?communityID=163 - broken link)

I'm not so sure about greenwood boatdocks getting finished, it seems that construction has stopped completely as suprising as that is

Old 06-16-2008, 09:24 AM

12 posts, read 70,713 times
Welcome to Louisville!!
Im a resident of Southwest Louisville & to tell you the truth would not have it any other way. I live in an upscale neighborhood off of Arnoldtown Road & absolutely love it. It is called Hardwood Forest. If you can afford the 250,000-1,000,000 dollar home price you should check it out. Their is also a new Christian Academy of Louisville on Saint Andrews Church Road that, if you have kids you should check out. It is the southwest campus. Their are many new developments along the rolling hills of eastern Dixie Highway and also some nice ones on the west side. Check out neighborhoods like grandel farms (terry road), Hunters point (upper hunters trace), pleasure ridge point(greenwood road), Ashby woods (ashby lane) <--- all along the western edge of dixie highway with prices anywhere from 180,000-350,000. On the eastern edge Parkridge (manslick/palatka rd.), Saint Andrews Landing (near Christian academy), All neighborhoods along Arnoldtown Road, Saint Anthony Estates(st. anthony church road), Bridge gate(3rd street), Stoneridge (east pages), Pinnacle Place(east pages) <---along along the eastern edge with prices anywhere from 200,000-over 1,000,000.

Around all of these neighborhoods their are nicer older homes with prices in the mid 100's to low 200's. This part of town gets a bad reputation, but believe me driving down the street your just as likely to see a BMW as you are a hooptie. hope this helps

Old 06-16-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS LOU View Post
Welcome to Louisville!!
Im a resident of Southwest Louisville & to tell you the truth would not have it any other way. I live in an upscale neighborhood off of Arnoldtown Road & absolutely love it. It is called Hardwood Forest. If you can afford the 250,000-1,000,000 dollar home price you should check it out. Their is also a new Christian Academy of Louisville on Saint Andrews Church Road that, if you have kids you should check out. It is the southwest campus. Their are many new developments along the rolling hills of eastern Dixie Highway and also some nice ones on the west side. Check out neighborhoods like grandel farms (terry road), Hunters point (upper hunters trace), pleasure ridge point(greenwood road), Ashby woods (ashby lane) <--- all along the western edge of dixie highway with prices anywhere from 180,000-350,000. On the eastern edge Parkridge (manslick/palatka rd.), Saint Andrews Landing (near Christian academy), All neighborhoods along Arnoldtown Road, Saint Anthony Estates(st. anthony church road), Bridge gate(3rd street), Stoneridge (east pages), Pinnacle Place(east pages) <---along along the eastern edge with prices anywhere from 200,000-over 1,000,000.

Around all of these neighborhoods their are nicer older homes with prices in the mid 100's to low 200's. This part of town gets a bad reputation, but believe me driving down the street your just as likely to see a BMW as you are a hooptie. hope this helps
Don't forget Beth Haven Baptist school on Johnsontown road

Old 06-16-2008, 11:02 AM

Thank you all so much! you have eased most of my fears. I actually only am meeting someone in that area (Sears Essential) and wasn't sure if I should be or not, being new to the area.

Thanks so much for your opinions & insights!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area