Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:16 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times

Advertisements

Is the Rusty Pelican still open in Hikes Point? They used to have really good fried fish when I lived there 17 yrs. ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 04:27 PM

14 posts, read 36,728 times
I've been there. It is well known over most of Louisville with rave reviews but I've never understood it. The fair is marginal at best. I've never understood the fascination with King Fish either.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:12 AM

49 posts, read 156,379 times
My mother's family are all big seafood people and they swear by this place. Summer just wasn't Summer without a few trips to Mike's. Myself? I don't eat fish, so I spent a lot of summer afternoons under a tree by the parking lot, waiting to go home. And if one in your party doesn't like the smell of fried fish, they're out of luck, the place reeks of it.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
Yeah years ago and it was OK. The place is known for stuff like turtle soup and frog legs, but has the usual Louisville deep fried fish. I actually liked the long-gone Cape Codder better.

Missy should be able to fill you in as I bet she's been there.
As a child, I remember when Mike Linning was around, and the food was a whole lot better. I'm not sure if the family owns it today. Like everything else, when the original owners die off, so goes the product. O'Bryans Tavern, on Flintlock, off Dixie Hwy, has fish that taste like what Linnings used to be. Good portions to.
You might want to try Clarksville Seafood, on Eastern Blvd, in Clarksville. It is a former Cape Cod restaurant with some of the best tasting batter on a fish. One draw back though, they have some of the worst hours and rude employees that ever was. Their fish is so good though, they can care less if you come back, cos they'll pick up more customers elsewhere.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:23 PM

153 posts, read 538,230 times
The Fishery in St. Matthews had great fried food years ago. They may still!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:14 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot1950 View Post
As a child, I remember when Mike Linning was around, and the food was a whole lot better. I'm not sure if the family owns it today. Like everything else, when the original owners die off, so goes the product. O'Bryans Tavern, on Flintlock, off Dixie Hwy, has fish that taste like what Linnings used to be. Good portions to.
You might want to try Clarksville Seafood, on Eastern Blvd, in Clarksville. It is a former Cape Cod restaurant with some of the best tasting batter on a fish. One draw back though, they have some of the worst hours and rude employees that ever was. Their fish is so good though, they can care less if you come back, cos they'll pick up more customers elsewhere.
I haven't been to O'Brayn's cause I don't drink but I may have to try the fish!

Old 01-15-2009, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
[URL="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Mike%20Linnings%20Restaurant%20&um=1& ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl"]Mike [LEFT][FONT=serif][LEFT][FONT=serif]LinningsLinnings[/FONT][/LEFT][/FONT][FONT=serif][/FONT][/LEFT] Restaurant - Google Maps[/URL]

They have a menu posted off the Levee Bike trail... I noticed they even serve frog legs and alligator! I know they call out over a loud speaker when people's food is ready. They got rave reviews on Google.

Anyone ever ate there?
Yes I have and I grew up knowing the some of the family and have been around there all my life, long ago they were very good when Lin Linning was alive and David linning worked at his family's restaurant
Quality was premium, but Lin died and David moved on, The place is known more for a drug stop for cocaine and pills, the food quality is Nil they now buy all things frozen and even the turtle for soup is shipped in frozen. Nothing here is fresh, quality changed when the kitchen linings took over, Grease for frying is only cleaned at the end of the year when they close.
prices are ridiculous for low quality greasy food. Poor service, waiters that will rip you off as well as a staff that is on drugs, take a look at the eyes of any outside bartender.
My advice go get some fresh food, they are somewhat busy but this place is a habit for many who only go to drink outside. portions have gotten small because of declining business and lower profits, gone are the days of 3-4 fillets on the plate for a fish sandwich, and now they cost $ 9.00 for a fish sandwich, that only come with 2 pieces of white bread.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:12 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,160,291 times
I guess I must be the only one here who could go and eat at "Mike's" any day of the week! I love it, love everything about it, but I guess because I practically grew up there I have so many great memories.

The food is good--like someone said, not great, but good, and good value for money. I mean where else on earth can you get 1/2 a chicken on a "sandwhich"? lol The fried fish is typical Louisville style, which is breaded and deep fried, but I like it anyway.
I absolutely LOVE the cole slaw, and have never found any place else that has cole slaw that tastes the same. The onion rings are greasy, but I love 'em anyway. The reason nothing tastes just like it used to is because they've done away with the old fashioned lard, and have gone with healthier options. Also, because I happen to know that they now change the cooking oil frequently; before they used to just strain all the bits and pieces out of it, top it up and keep using it to the end of the season! Which is why I always thought it tasted better in fall than spring and early summer. I must sound totally gross, but I really did/do like that!

The reason the alligator is tough, is because 'gator is tough anyway. I've always found it to be like an overcooked butterfly pork chop with a fishy after taste--which doesn't bother me a bit, I like gamey meat, but if I want 'gator I'll go to Louisianna, Mississippi or Florida, where it's local game. 'Gators aren't in Kentucky, so nobody knows how to cook it! Now venison or wild turkey on the other hand......
Frogs legs--I tried them once when I was a kid--my grandma tricked me by telling me it was a chicken leg. I bit into it, didn't mind it, and finished it off (thought the bone looked a little weird, but....I was only little) Grandma asked me if I liked it and I said yes. Then she told me what it really was and I instantly puked right there in the gravel! the people at the next table were so impressed! lol I was only about 6 or 7. To this day, I can't go Frogs legs.

I think the incredibly laid back, almost sloppy, atmosphere is the thing I like best, although I have noticed that it's changed a fair bit since my younger days. I personally can not recall a single visit that didn't entail motorcycles ROARING past, and heaps of mean looking guys with slutty looking women. I used to stare until I got into trouble by mom. I didn't stare because I meant to be rude; I stared because I found them all so....intriguing! The bikers & their gals seemed so......different to what I knew. Rough, rowdy, foul language, uproaring laughter......I thought they seemed like they were having an awfully good time!
I do not doubt that drugs and other ill gotten gains exchange hands in and around the ML grounds--I believe it always has, but people are just more aware of it now days, and people are less secretive about it too.

it's true that if you want fast service you need to get a waiter--they'll hotfoot it out to you because they want a hefty tip! ( and I always thought the guys in their gold-coloured jackets looked just like waiters should look--I don't think they wear them anymore; now it's just whatever they can reach to put on.
And, I've noticed on the last few times I've been there -- most recent was 2007--that the bar staff (in and out) is nothing like what it used to be. Now everyone does look like they are partaking in the wacky weed, or worse, and there isn't as much joking around and chitchat. When Lin died, it started to go a different way, and then when David left, well hell, it went completely off the original path.

But even still, some things never change:
--you still can't understand what anybody says over that PA system;
--you still have to wait for a table inside (if you want to eat inside that is)
--the dead stuff on the walls and window sills haven't changed in at least 33 years (I still love that stuffed Armadillo--if they ever close down I will ask to buy the damn thing! haha)
--everyone still has to walk up the flood wall to look at the river at least once a visit; when I was a kid I used to think it was so romantic to watch the guys and gals walk up the flood wall, hand in hand and stop for a kiss at the top......in fact I made my Aussie husband do that with me. He didn't see the significance of it, but it made my "fantasy" a reality! lol
--you still can't make it through a meal without some kid doing a face plant on the swings (and now at the play area)
--all of the cabins are still always taken, so if you can't handle bugs, eat inside or at home!
--there are still always plenty of characters there to watch and discuss
--there is still inadequate parking for the amount of people who flock there; if you hate to park and walk, then get there EARLY
--even after you've been away for a while, you will still run into people you know and haven't seen in years

I could probably go on and on. Like I said above, I am partial to Mike's, and can't help it--it's like part of my DNA or something! lol My family has been going there faithfully since my grandma was young, actually I think since the place opened. It's a tradition in our family. In the spring summer and fall, we eat there a couple times a month. Bad for our physical health, but good for the emotional/psychological health.

I'd go as far to say that if you didn't grown up in the South End, you won't have the same appreciation for it--don't shoot me dead if you disagree! lol Just my personal opinion.

Cheers!

Old 01-16-2009, 03:21 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
I guess I must be the only one here who could go and eat at "Mike's" any day of the week! I love it, love everything about it, but I guess because I practically grew up there I have so many great memories.

The food is good--like someone said, not great, but good, and good value for money. I mean where else on earth can you get 1/2 a chicken on a "sandwhich"? lol The fried fish is typical Louisville style, which is breaded and deep fried, but I like it anyway.
I absolutely LOVE the cole slaw, and have never found any place else that has cole slaw that tastes the same. The onion rings are greasy, but I love 'em anyway. The reason nothing tastes just like it used to is because they've done away with the old fashioned lard, and have gone with healthier options. Also, because I happen to know that they now change the cooking oil frequently; before they used to just strain all the bits and pieces out of it, top it up and keep using it to the end of the season! Which is why I always thought it tasted better in fall than spring and early summer. I must sound totally gross, but I really did/do like that!

The reason the alligator is tough, is because 'gator is tough anyway. I've always found it to be like an overcooked butterfly pork chop with a fishy after taste--which doesn't bother me a bit, I like gamey meat, but if I want 'gator I'll go to Louisianna, Mississippi or Florida, where it's local game. 'Gators aren't in Kentucky, so nobody knows how to cook it! Now venison or wild turkey on the other hand......
Frogs legs--I tried them once when I was a kid--my grandma tricked me by telling me it was a chicken leg. I bit into it, didn't mind it, and finished it off (thought the bone looked a little weird, but....I was only little) Grandma asked me if I liked it and I said yes. Then she told me what it really was and I instantly puked right there in the gravel! the people at the next table were so impressed! lol I was only about 6 or 7. To this day, I can't go Frogs legs.

I think the incredibly laid back, almost sloppy, atmosphere is the thing I like best, although I have noticed that it's changed a fair bit since my younger days. I personally can not recall a single visit that didn't entail motorcycles ROARING past, and heaps of mean looking guys with slutty looking women. I used to stare until I got into trouble by mom. I didn't stare because I meant to be rude; I stared because I found them all so....intriguing! The bikers & their gals seemed so......different to what I knew. Rough, rowdy, foul language, uproaring laughter......I thought they seemed like they were having an awfully good time!
I do not doubt that drugs and other ill gotten gains exchange hands in and around the ML grounds--I believe it always has, but people are just more aware of it now days, and people are less secretive about it too.

it's true that if you want fast service you need to get a waiter--they'll hotfoot it out to you because they want a hefty tip! ( and I always thought the guys in their gold-coloured jackets looked just like waiters should look--I don't think they wear them anymore; now it's just whatever they can reach to put on.
And, I've noticed on the last few times I've been there -- most recent was 2007--that the bar staff (in and out) is nothing like what it used to be. Now everyone does look like they are partaking in the wacky weed, or worse, and there isn't as much joking around and chitchat. When Lin died, it started to go a different way, and then when David left, well hell, it went completely off the original path.

But even still, some things never change:
--you still can't understand what anybody says over that PA system;
--you still have to wait for a table inside (if you want to eat inside that is)
--the dead stuff on the walls and window sills haven't changed in at least 33 years (I still love that stuffed Armadillo--if they ever close down I will ask to buy the damn thing! haha)
--everyone still has to walk up the flood wall to look at the river at least once a visit; when I was a kid I used to think it was so romantic to watch the guys and gals walk up the flood wall, hand in hand and stop for a kiss at the top......in fact I made my Aussie husband do that with me. He didn't see the significance of it, but it made my "fantasy" a reality! lol
--you still can't make it through a meal without some kid doing a face plant on the swings (and now at the play area)
--all of the cabins are still always taken, so if you can't handle bugs, eat inside or at home!
--there are still always plenty of characters there to watch and discuss
--there is still inadequate parking for the amount of people who flock there; if you hate to park and walk, then get there EARLY
--even after you've been away for a while, you will still run into people you know and haven't seen in years

I could probably go on and on. Like I said above, I am partial to Mike's, and can't help it--it's like part of my DNA or something! lol My family has been going there faithfully since my grandma was young, actually I think since the place opened. It's a tradition in our family. In the spring summer and fall, we eat there a couple times a month. Bad for our physical health, but good for the emotional/psychological health.

I'd go as far to say that if you didn't grown up in the South End, you won't have the same appreciation for it--don't shoot me dead if you disagree! lol Just my personal opinion.

Cheers!

Good post!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 04:58 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,904 times
Speaking of South End things, the Toad Stool Inn in Shively used to have good frog legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area