Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:45 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times

Advertisements

this is helping a lot. i don't even have a license in VA yet. not like i need it yet with all the buses and trains available here. but i'm sure i'll have a license by the time i get there. i'm not really much of a nightlife person. my main concern is low crime and cheap but it sounds like i can find that as long as i can stay away from west of 9th and north of al. pkwy. this move is temporary (like 2 or 3 years.) how is the university of louisville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 26,718 times
Just to redeem the west end of Lou., everything north of Alg and west of 9th is not crime ridden. In fact there are some beautiful new homes along Algonquin Pkwy. and another fairly new neighborhood along the river. Granted no one wants to catch a stray bullet or have their purse snatched, but these crimes occur all over the city. I think it all depends on the individual and where that person feels safe. I am in-home social worker/counselor and have more apprehension in Lebanon Jct (no offense Kimmiey) than I ever would in the west end of Lou. That being said as far as low crime and an easy commute to Ft. Knox, I would suggest the Preston Hwy/Hillview area. I work in Bullitt Co.(south of Lou.) which is maybe 5-10 min drive from the areas I mentioned. Once in Bullitt Co. Hwy 44 (their main hwy) will take you out near the entrance of Ft. Knox. It's about a 10-15 min drive, caution it is a two-lane hwy but no traffic to speak of. Hwy 44 ends at Dixie Hwy at the county line (south of the heavy traffic areas) which takes you into Ft. Know a few blocks up. So basically 25-30 minute drive maybe a few minutes longer. You won't get a signal on your cell, but the drive is beautiful. Valley station as others mentioned would also provide a pretty short commute. Traffic on Dixie gets heavy during the rush hours though. I live in the Okolona area and considered making the commute to Ft. Knox for a position I was offered. I timed it twice (during non rush hour times) both times it was around a 28min drive. That's taking the Gene Snyder Freeway to the Dixie/Ft. Knox exit and proceeding south. I attended u of l grad school and wished i had gone to undergrad there too. they have reputable med/dental/engineering programs. the in-state tuition is reasonable, and from my experience the advisors/instructors make themselves available to students. u of l is on the busline, easily accesssible, but no buses from ft. knox. radcliff/vine grove is nice also.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:10 PM

14 posts, read 59,739 times
Smile New Subdivisions in Northern Bullitt County?

Do any new subdivisions exist in Northern Bullitt County?

I prefer a single family house with 2-3 bedrooms with a basement and 2 full baths. Something around 1500 square feet with a price range of possibly $150,000 - $250,000. The neighborhood does not have to be real upscale but I want something that is not low end or any real chance to go downhill.

I am considering a move to work in or near Louisville. From what I can see on maps the north part of Bullitt County is within driving distance if I find work in Louisville.

My profession is electronics and I have a Bachelors degree in electrical engineering. If anyone knows of any company that is hiring in my field please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:36 AM

850 posts, read 3,158,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyy73 View Post
Just to redeem the west end of Lou., everything north of Alg and west of 9th is not crime ridden. In fact there are some beautiful new homes along Algonquin Pkwy. and another fairly new neighborhood along the river. Granted no one wants to catch a stray bullet or have their purse snatched, but these crimes occur all over the city. I think it all depends on the individual and where that person feels safe. I am in-home social worker/counselor and have more apprehension in Lebanon Jct (no offense Kimmiey) than I ever would in the west end of Lou. That being said as far as low crime and an easy commute to Ft. Knox, I would suggest the Preston Hwy/Hillview area. I work in Bullitt Co.(south of Lou.) which is maybe 5-10 min drive from the areas I mentioned. Once in Bullitt Co. Hwy 44 (their main hwy) will take you out near the entrance of Ft. Knox. It's about a 10-15 min drive, caution it is a two-lane hwy but no traffic to speak of. Hwy 44 ends at Dixie Hwy at the county line (south of the heavy traffic areas) which takes you into Ft. Know a few blocks up. So basically 25-30 minute drive maybe a few minutes longer. You won't get a signal on your cell, but the drive is beautiful. Valley station as others mentioned would also provide a pretty short commute. Traffic on Dixie gets heavy during the rush hours though. I live in the Okolona area and considered making the commute to Ft. Knox for a position I was offered. I timed it twice (during non rush hour times) both times it was around a 28min drive. That's taking the Gene Snyder Freeway to the Dixie/Ft. Knox exit and proceeding south. I attended u of l grad school and wished i had gone to undergrad there too. they have reputable med/dental/engineering programs. the in-state tuition is reasonable, and from my experience the advisors/instructors make themselves available to students. u of l is on the busline, easily accesssible, but no buses from ft. knox. radcliff/vine grove is nice also.

No offense taken - TAKEN ABACK - yes. Where in Lebanon Junction have you been? I am in no way upset or angry - simply concerned that perhaps classism is playing a role?

Our chief of police is a retired State Trooper, and I assure you he runs a very tight ship. No town is perfect - but other than domestic violence from some good ole' boy who has had to much to drink (which would make him a bad 'ole boy) - I cannot think of anything in this city that would cause me to be afraid to leave the doors unlocked, not walk down the street, etc.

I am so sorry you feel that way. In your line of work, the only thing I can think is that you are seeing the bad side of the poor life. Yes, people usually keep to themselves in that situation - don't know why - and no, Lebanon Junction is not by anymeans a rich town.

But - perhaps if you spent some time seeing the good side, the neighbors who still smile and wave, the Fire department who works their butt off, the police who are constantly cruising this town - maybe your opinion would be different.

And - honestly - if you think the west end of Louisville is better than L.J. - I absolutely need to take you on a walking tour. No stray bulletts in this area - pot smokers in remote areas maybe, growers - not sure - guns and gangs - not by a long shot.

AND - you guys also need to realize alot of the Lebanon Junction mailing address goes into Hardin county, and as far north as 10 miles. within that area you will find dirt poor people who are suspicious of city folk.

Tell you a funny srory - had a family down this week from Michigan. The dad was heading downtown Louisville to apply for a job. His wife and I were originally going to drive him since he did not know his way around, but we decided it would be better for him alone, gathering his thoughts, and - he had a good map. His interview DID take him to the west end - and he came back - so thankful to be back into L.J. - and said he would never ever let us go down there alone. This comment came after 2 weeks of spending time in L.J., walking, meeting the people, getting the feel.

So sorry you have had a bad experience - wish I could show you what you have missed.

Kimmiey

P.S. - had to add - I have raised my kids here, have lived here for over 20 years - I just cannot imagine where you have been. Please - let me know!

Old 02-25-2007, 01:44 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake92839 View Post
Do any new subdivisions exist in Northern Bullitt County?

I prefer a single family house with 2-3 bedrooms with a basement and 2 full baths. Something around 1500 square feet with a price range of possibly $150,000 - $250,000. The neighborhood does not have to be real upscale but I want something that is not low end or any real chance to go downhill.

I am considering a move to work in or near Louisville. From what I can see on maps the north part of Bullitt County is within driving distance if I find work in Louisville.

My profession is electronics and I have a Bachelors degree in electrical engineering. If anyone knows of any company that is hiring in my field please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Jake - ABSOLUTELY! If you google search Hillview Kentucky - look for our (city-data) info page. You will find realtors listed there to help. Additionally - you can go to the realtor.com sites - type in the area you are looking for which should be 40229 - and many, many listings will pop up. try our info page first, That is usually a great starting point. So many great new homes in that area. Happy hunting!

Old 05-21-2007, 06:30 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
I live in PRP/shively and it takes me about 35 minutes to get to Otter Creek in Meade County so it shouldn't take much longer than that to get to Ft KNox and I go Greenbelt to Dixie. So the PRP/Valley Station areas would be great for someone commuting to Ft KNox. They aren't higher end areas like the east end but I love the area myself.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:01 AM

5 posts, read 45,855 times
First it's Radcliff, no E at the end. It is a 45 min drive from Radcliff to I-65 following 31W to Gene Synder. If planning on going downtown, add 10 - 15 minutes, give or take traffic woes. Add 30 minutes if going to east end of Louisville. Prices for apartments increase in Highlands area and eastern part of county, but can be hard commute thru downtown and longer commute from east end of county. South End of Louisville, safe and reasonable apartment rates. Iroquois Park area and Valley Station recommended. Consider Okolona and Highview areas also. Too far west or north of Iroquois Park area and you are getting into bad neighborhoods with higher crime area. If someone mentions Portland, West End, Shelby Park, Butchertown, Germantown or general downtown, I would avoid it. Old Louisville around U of L college is alright and east of Baxter Ave is good, includes the Highlands. I grew up in Okolona, lived briefly in Germantown area. I worked EMS so I know the neighborhoods in Louisville pretty well. I moved to Radcliff, two years ago, best move ever made.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:23 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,690 times
I don't know enough about Radcliff to comment, but the comments of NewNurse on the various areas of Jefferson County are spot on.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:36 AM

54 posts, read 231,200 times
Butchertown, Germantown, and general downtown are not unsafe. In fact, they are on par or better than Old Louisville in terms or crime, and comparable to the Highlands. Maybe you are thinking of Smoketown or Phoenix Hill?

Old 05-22-2007, 04:02 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
Butchertown, Germantown, and general downtown are not unsafe. In fact, they are on par or better than Old Louisville in terms or crime, and comparable to the Highlands. Maybe you are thinking of Smoketown or Phoenix Hill?
I wish someone would create a map that outlined these higher crime areas, because the areas outside the west end are usually small isolated pockets often contained by railroad tracks. Smoketown is one area, although I see the gentrification creeping west from Germantown. Phoenix Hill is nearly 75% gentrified now, especially with Liberty Green and other condos. The only other seriously higher crime area east of Taylor Boulevard would be Newburg (the city, not the road), which is located near Poplar Level and Indian Trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area