Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:35 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times

Advertisements

I am THOROUGHLY embarrassed that this type of crap still goes on, but not surprised that it happened in Oldham county. I find it odd that an interacial couple was targeted while neighbors got nothing:

KKK flier inserted into Oldham paper
Publisher angry, asks police for help
By Melissa Gagliardi July 10, 2008

Julie Nelson Satterly, editor and publisher of the Oldham Era, said she received a number of calls Tuesday from residents who received copies of the Oldham Era with fliers from the KKK.

"I was beside myself. I said, 'Rest assured, we didn't have anything to do with that,' " Satterly said.

The Oldham Era is delivered to subscribers on Thursdays. But some papers, dated June 26 and July 3, were found in some driveways Tuesday morning.

"I think that helped our readers understand it wasn't us," said Satterly, who contacted Oldham police about the matter.

Pewee Valley Police Chief Mike Losik said he spoke with one resident of Confederate Estates subdivision who received the literature. The woman pointed out that she is part of an interracial marriage and that none of her neighbors received the flier, he said.

Other papers with the flier were delivered along Old Brownsboro Road and Old Zaring Road. Satterly said she doesn't know how many people received them.

The fliers say: "If you are reading this you are in Klan Country. Join and support the Ku Klux Klan. Join the KKK and fight for race and nation."

At the bottom, the fliers include an out-of-town phone number and a Web site address.

Calls to the phone number are forwarded to an automatic voice-messaging system at a different number.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:25 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
This is very disturbing to me.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:12 AM

57 posts, read 101,996 times
Yes this is disturbing, I am so sorry this happened to you, unfortunately they are very well still around enforcing white supremacy. I can't wait till the day we are at peace.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:00 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
If I remember right the same thing was done in Bullitt county quite a while back.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:25 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I am THOROUGHLY embarrassed that this type of crap still goes on, but not surprised that it happened in Oldham county.
Your repeated attacks on Oldham County are totally unfounded in every way. You have not even a clue as to what goes on out here, the quality of people or the embarrassment a political terrorist has caused. It is imperative that you maintain dignity and above reproach attitudes.

Moderator cut: personal - off topic

Last edited by Marka; 12-17-2008 at 05:24 AM..

Old 07-11-2008, 08:53 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Pewee Valley Police Chief Mike Losik said he spoke with one resident of Confederate Estates subdivision who received the literature. The woman pointed out that she is part of an interracial marriage and that none of her neighbors received the flier, he said.
There is a subdivision called "Confederate Estates" in Oldham County? And a mixed race couple chose to live there? The developer might as well a sign at the entrance saying "Whites Only". I don't think you could get away with that even down here in North Alabama.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:22 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
There is a Confederate Acres somewhere in Louisville too so that isn't suprising. As far as the note, it very well could have been some crazy teens playing a prank, who knows. Sad either way.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:14 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
There is a subdivision called "Confederate Estates" in Oldham County? And a mixed race couple chose to live there? The developer might as well a sign at the entrance saying "Whites Only". I don't think you could get away with that even down here in North Alabama.
Wrong, Confederate Estates gets its name from being in very close proximity to the Confederate Cemetery in Pewee Valley Kentucky.

In a previous reply, a moderator of this forum noted that he would have expected racism in Oldham County. Facts are that Oldham County is one of the most progressive racial areas of Kentucky, if not the nation. While busing caused "white flight" to Oldham and other area counties, it was not race that drove it, but rather the stupidity of placing a child on a bus for political and not educational gain.

We understand and appreciate the historical significance of events and look at them for what they were then.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:37 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Wrong, Confederate Estates gets its name from being in very close proximity to the Confederate Cemetery in Pewee Valley Kentucky.

In a previous reply, a moderator of this forum noted that he would have expected racism in Oldham County. Facts are that Oldham County is one of the most progressive racial areas of Kentucky, if not the nation. While busing caused "white flight" to Oldham and other area counties, it was not race that drove it, but rather the stupidity of placing a child on a bus for political and not educational gain.

We understand and appreciate the historical significance of events and look at them for what they were then.
Regardless, if I was a developer, I wouldn't name a subdivision "Confederate" anything if I wanted to be inclusive. The fact is that term alienates people.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:39 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post

Louisville is not even one of the most progressive racial places in the nation, so how can its conservative, 95% white exurb be? (a county that doubled in population from around 14k to 28k in the 1970s when Louisville announced its bussing plan that helped integrate schools more).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldham_County,_Kentucky

Furthermore, Tomox has misquoted me. I did not "expect racism" in Oldham County. Please refer to the original posting for the true context of what I said, in light of a sad and factual situation. What makes this case so disturbing and makes it less likely to be a teenage prank is that an actual interracial couple living in a subdivision called "Confederate Acres" was targeted with the flier while next door neighbors were not. Someone does not want her black husband there. Louisville actually had a monument called the Confederate Monument by Greek Row at UofL. In the past three years the name of the monument was changed to Unity and the street on Greek Row was changed to Unity Place from Confederate Place. Oldham should do the same with that subdivision. If a similarly named subdivision exists in Jefferson County, it should change its name too.

Last edited by Peter1948; 07-11-2008 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area