Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2008, 10:40 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times

Advertisements

We are in escrow (selling) and looking to buy a townhome in Jefferson County (Prospect) when and if our escrow closes. The listing agent told us that Jefferson County taxes are now less than Oldham County's property taxes. Is this true? I do believe I read something a while back about Oldham County getting a property tax increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 01:26 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
We are in escrow (selling) and looking to buy a townhome in Jefferson County (Prospect) when and if our escrow closes. The listing agent told us that Jefferson County taxes are now less than Oldham County's property taxes. Is this true? I do believe I read something a while back about Oldham County getting a property tax increase.
Fact: Taxes on a certain property may indeed be higher in Oldham County than in Jefferson County; this is not typical however. A buyer must get an exact quote from the respective PVA of each county to determine each property's tax. Why is this? In Kentucky, there can be 5 or more taxing districts within a particular county. For example, in Jefferson County there are many Fire Protection Districts. While most charge the maximum $ .10 on each $ 100.00 of current fair market value, some may charge less. In other cases, for example, Anchorage, there is a huge school tax compared to Oldham or JCPS. Also a home may be on new sewers and there may be a Waste Disposal Tax to pay off bonds which funded the installation.

Please don't buy a home without having an understanding of taxes which may affect the particular location you are buying, and don't assume taxes are higher or lower unless you have investigated.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:20 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
Property taxes are 1.3% on the property we are looking at (combined city and county).

Old 06-21-2008, 08:06 PM

Most of Oldham County is below 1%, but LaGrange is about 1.3%

Old 06-22-2008, 06:40 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
Isn't Jefferson Co's property taxes divided up based on whether you live in the urban or suburban service district?

Old 06-22-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Isn't Jefferson Co's property taxes divided up based on whether you live in the urban or suburban service district?
Yes, every Kentucky county is divided into taxing districts. Even in Jefferson County there can be taxes that are unique to a particular section of the county.

Kentucky: Department of Revenue - Property Tax

Old 06-24-2008, 09:38 AM

39 posts, read 127,546 times
We just bought a house in the JC side of Prospect last week. The tax rate is .976. It was pretty confusing figuring out the rates until we actually found a property. I think the Greater Louisville Realtor home search shows the estimated tax rate for each property.
One thing that's different about Prospect is the trash removal is included in the property tax rate. I don't know if that's the norm in KY. We were used to paying about $300 a year for trash removal in PA. Not a lot of money but we were also paying 30% more a year in property taxes!

Old 07-15-2008, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,711 times
I'm trying to buy a home and can find out what the property tax is . I'm a 1st time home buyer. I need help

Old 07-15-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaka1 View Post
I'm trying to buy a home and can find out what the property tax is . I'm a 1st time home buyer. I need help
If you are working with an agent, he/she should be able to help you. In previous threads and again here, I recommend that you contact the PVA of your county and have them help you with your specific property's taxes. They will also help you determine what your future taxes will be.

If you are not working with an agent, I will be glad to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area