Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 11,654 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing conflicting information. Some teachers (from teachers.net) say they've been looking for two or more years without any luck. The Jefferson County School web site shows multiple jobs in almost all areas. I currently live in California and teach at the secondary level but I'm considering moving to Louisville if I can find a job. I've had a bad experience in Chicago where a few CPS recruiters told me there were plenty of jobs, the CPS web site displayed plenty of jobs (and still does), but when I actually went directly to the schools - there were no jobs. This was clearly a less than honest policy by the CPS. Now, after reading about teacher experiences in Louisville, I'm worried if the recruiters from Jefferson County aren't doing the same type of thing. Any teachers from Louisville that can help clarify this for me will receive my deep thanks. I have a good job now but am considering a move due to cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 03:43 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,278,529 times
Just be careful. JCPS likely does have many openings, but don't limit your search to only JCPS. Hardin, Meade, Bullitt, Spencer, Shelby, & Oldham County Boards of Education all should be in your search too, and don't forget there school corporations in Indiana which will offer good opportunities as well.

JCPS typically pays a bit better, but for some reason, the schools that need the highest and best qualified teachers are the ones fewer people want to teach in.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:57 PM

7,069 posts, read 16,675,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Andrew1 View Post
I keep hearing conflicting information. Some teachers (from teachers.net) say they've been looking for two or more years without any luck. The Jefferson County School web site shows multiple jobs in almost all areas. I currently live in California and teach at the secondary level but I'm considering moving to Louisville if I can find a job. I've had a bad experience in Chicago where a few CPS recruiters told me there were plenty of jobs, the CPS web site displayed plenty of jobs (and still does), but when I actually went directly to the schools - there were no jobs. This was clearly a less than honest policy by the CPS. Now, after reading about teacher experiences in Louisville, I'm worried if the recruiters from Jefferson County aren't doing the same type of thing. Any teachers from Louisville that can help clarify this for me will receive my deep thanks. I have a good job now but am considering a move due to cost of living.

JCPS certainly needs teachers badly, especially in math and science. Where have you looked for jobs?

Old 07-19-2008, 01:03 AM

6 posts, read 16,908 times
I have a friend that is trying to get a teaching job in Jefferson County and the surrounding areas and she says that the hiring practice is different. There are openings but for every opening the board has to interview 3 people. Sometimes the prinicipal already has a person in mind for the job but has to interview these others as a formality and as a result one of her friends went to 7 interviews before getting a position. Also they do this process extrememly late, school starts in less than a month and they haven't even started the inteviews yet. She said she might know maybe a week before school starts.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 11,654 times
Default I'm in the information gathering stage

Thanks to all who have replied. It is interesting because I think the postings add to the mixed signals. It does appear that Jefferson County needs teachers but yet again I hear about the frustration of finding work. If, as it seems, the hiring process does not occur until late in the year, I will not be able to join the ranks in Lousiville. Tomocox: I am considering outside of the city as you suggest only I'm a bit worried about the cost of gas and commuting. I commute now (about 40 miles each direction) but gas is currently at $4.26 here in California. How long, for example, would it take to drive from Highlands or Clifton to North Bullitt High School? How long, realistically, to get to the high schools in Oldham? Is the pay in those district outside of Louisville equivalent?
Thanks again for any information.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:47 AM

22 posts, read 80,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Andrew1 View Post
Thanks to all who have replied. It is interesting because I think the postings add to the mixed signals. It does appear that Jefferson County needs teachers but yet again I hear about the frustration of finding work. If, as it seems, the hiring process does not occur until late in the year, I will not be able to join the ranks in Lousiville. Tomocox: I am considering outside of the city as you suggest only I'm a bit worried about the cost of gas and commuting. I commute now (about 40 miles each direction) but gas is currently at $4.26 here in California. How long, for example, would it take to drive from Highlands or Clifton to North Bullitt High School? How long, realistically, to get to the high schools in Oldham? Is the pay in those district outside of Louisville equivalent?
Thanks again for any information.

Jefferson County is different in their hiring process. When there is a job opening in Jefferson County, you apply to the school district and not the school. So you have no idea what school you will be teaching at. So you could live on one side of Louisville and teach on the other side. So it may be better on gas to teach in another county even though it is farther away. I live in Richmond and teach in Lexington, which is 30 miles away (all interstate). Other teachers in my school live in Lexington and it takes them 20 or so minutes to get to work because of traffic and we probably use the same amount of gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area