U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2007, 08:13 AM

8 posts, read 33,580 times

Advertisements

WOW! There have been a lot of postings like this, I know. But I have a slightly different question - I want to know how close in the city can we live and maintain a safe environment for my family?

If I move to Louisville I will be attending classes at the University, so will be traveling there daily. I'd like to live as close as possible to the university, but do not want to be worried about someone breaking into my house while I'm in class. I also want my son enrolled in a public school that is effective and safe.

I have never lived in a "city" before, so this is all new territory for me. I keep hearing that the East side is where I want to be with a family. I've also heard people suggest Germantown, but I'm concerned about crime. Is there anyone out there from Louisville that lives downtown, or has before, that could tell me the "real deal" about living close, safety, schools, and neighborhoods?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 09:29 AM
San

54 posts, read 412,867 times
We moved to Kentucky three years ago and love it. I can't be of much help on the city living however because we've always been in the country. We are staying in Kentucky but do to a business transfer are going to have to relocate. We are puting a newer ranch style house and 16 acres for sale. We are in Cumberland county. We are just 18 miles from Dale Hollow park which is a world champion bass fishing lake and there is a good 18 hole golf course. We are also just two and a half miles from a state maintained boat ramp on the Cumberland river. If anyone is interested I can email with pictures and all the information.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:02 PM

850 posts, read 3,019,051 times
I do nto know how to politely and politically put this - but anywhere from The university EAST will be a good area. Unfortunately - it just is what it is.

From the university, check out the areas along Eastern Parkway, Audubon Park over to Bardstown road, the Highlands, to Cherokee park.

I still maintain that Atherton High School is one of the best public schools in Louisvile, along with Dupont Manuel - very close to the university. They have a wonderful arts program, and have a spin off called the Youth Performing Arts school.
All of these can be found with a google search.

Louisville in general is among the big cities with a lower crime rate - but things happen everywhere. Most neighborhoods have a neighborhood watch - and getting to know your neighbors immediately will help.

I would suggest visiting before you make a choice, find a realtor to take you around - http://www.louisvillerealtors.com/ - and knock on the door of neighbors around the home you are looking at. They should be more than happy to clue you into the neighborhood situation.

Word of mouth from those who live there is valuable info.

You will have great success here - with the schools and living - just check out the job market in your field of study to see if this is where you permanently want to remain. It's been a little dry lately, but hopefully '07 will bring a brighter future.

Good luck - hope the info helps.

KimmieyKY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area