U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 57,315 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of moving to Louisville KY from Southern California but we're a gay couple--in our 30's--can anybody offer us any advice? Are we nuts? We think it's really a beautiful town and has a lot to offer. However, we are concerned that we might be victims of gay bashing on a nightly basis. Can anyone give us any advice? Is this a stupid idea on our part? Where should we live--the highlands?. ANY information would be really appreciated.
Mucho thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 03:52 PM

6,990 posts, read 15,123,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesnrodger View Post
We're thinking of moving to Louisville KY from Southern California but we're a gay couple--in our 30's--can anybody offer us any advice? Are we nuts? We think it's really a beautiful town and has a lot to offer. However, we are concerned that we might be victims of gay bashing on a nightly basis. Can anyone give us any advice? Is this a stupid idea on our part? Where should we live--the highlands?. ANY information would be really appreciated.
Mucho thanks.
Louisville is no So Cal, but it is accepting of all people, especially in the city itself close to downtown. To think u will be a victim of gay bashing is a silly stereotype. Most gay couples choose to live either downtown, or close to downtown in Old Louisville, Butchertown, Highlands, Crescent Hill, or Clifton. You will find many other gay couples in these areas, leading perfectly normal and happy lives. For its region, I would say Louisville has a relatively high percentage of gays. It is not strange to see gay couples walk down Bardstown Road in the Highlands holding hands near, say Day's coffee shop. There are several gay clubs now, the better of them Connection, Starbase Q, and Glow. There are probably at least a half dozen others, as well as a couple bars for lesbians mostly. The gay community grows significatly every year as Louisville's urban renaissance continues. So, you will notice a much slower pace to life here, but the ppl are very friendly, and ample opportunity for people of all races and orientations exists.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the insight STX12499. Your right that it is silly of me to think that we'd be gay bashed sitting in our home--didn't mean to play into any stereo type, sorry about that.
To be honest, So Cal isn't as nearly as accepting as some would have you think. We live in Laguna Beach and last year there were nearly 50 reported incidents of hate crimes aimed at the gay community, or what's left of the gay community here.
I grew up in Louisville, but left in the late 80's to go to college and grad school back east, and have only come back to visit family. I wasn't out of the closet back then so I really had/have no connection with the gay beat of the city. I really love my visits back, especially the overwhelming friendliness of the people. Yes, like parts of So Cal there are red necks, racists, homophobe etcs. but I liked what I saw during my christmas visit and thus, this posting.
Thanks again for some great insight.
You might not be the best person to ask but is there a well developed gay network there such as a local HRC chapter or LamdaLegal or an equiv.?
I think we are going to start looking for a house there in the next couple of months and would like to figure out how to meet the rest of the Louisville gay population!
Thanks

Old 01-24-2007, 09:12 AM

51 posts, read 270,851 times
Milesnrodger, I think Louisville has progressed a lot over the years with its expansion. I wouldn't hesitate to look for a home in the communities stx12499 suggested... We are starting to see a lot of people move to Kentucky from California and like yourself quite a few people who grew up here come back. I'm originally from Ohio but I've seen how Kentucky has a lot to offer. Best of luck to you both...

Old 01-24-2007, 08:11 PM

13 posts, read 60,070 times
My cousin and his partner live in Louisville and have a nice quiet suburban life in a nice neighborhood. They may have had some difficulty at first, but it mostly had to do with getting to know neighbors and building trust. And, frankly, we all gotta do that. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2007, 05:04 AM

850 posts, read 3,014,235 times
Ditto, Ditto, Ditto. - Louisville would absolutely be the best place - and I think you will find the cultural events, festivals and 'things to do' the best around. Try the following article for more info.

http://www.planetout.com/travel/arti...ml?sernum=6799

Good luck on your move - you will be warmly welcomed.

KimmieyKY

Old 01-25-2007, 12:52 PM

6,990 posts, read 15,123,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesnrodger View Post
Thanks for the insight STX12499. Your right that it is silly of me to think that we'd be gay bashed sitting in our home--didn't mean to play into any stereo type, sorry about that.
To be honest, So Cal isn't as nearly as accepting as some would have you think. We live in Laguna Beach and last year there were nearly 50 reported incidents of hate crimes aimed at the gay community, or what's left of the gay community here.
I grew up in Louisville, but left in the late 80's to go to college and grad school back east, and have only come back to visit family. I wasn't out of the closet back then so I really had/have no connection with the gay beat of the city. I really love my visits back, especially the overwhelming friendliness of the people. Yes, like parts of So Cal there are red necks, racists, homophobe etcs. but I liked what I saw during my christmas visit and thus, this posting.
Thanks again for some great insight.
You might not be the best person to ask but is there a well developed gay network there such as a local HRC chapter or LamdaLegal or an equiv.?
I think we are going to start looking for a house there in the next couple of months and would like to figure out how to meet the rest of the Louisville gay population!
Thanks
well, people here are friendly. and even though the gay community here is getting sizable, its still small enough that its quite easy to meet people. I am straight, but have several gay and lesbian friends. Also, the largest local gay club, Connection, draws people from regional cities every week like Nashville, Cincy, Indy etc as apparently it is one of the largest (and best) gay nightclubs in this region. You may try checking out www.louisvillemojo.com . Its a local networking site kind of like a local "myspace." anyhow, I know there are tons of gay people on there, and you could meet some people through there or at least ask them about all the ins and outs of the gay community in Louisville. I will tell you that the highest percentage of gays per capita are probably in Old Louisville and downtown, followed closely by the Highlands and Clifton. Hope this helps.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:10 PM

Thanks everyone for the very good information. It sounds like we will have a great opportunity to have a great life in Louisville--even as a gay couple!
We've been checking out homes in the Highlands and St. Mattews area as well as condos downtown...lots to choose from and the prices..well, let's just say you can buy just about any home in Louisville for what just the average home sells for in Laguna Beach. Yes, the weather is nice here, but not that nice!
If anybody else knows about any groups or other opportunities for us to get involved with the Louisville gay community send 'em on!
Again, thanks everyone for the information...much appreciated.
Miles

Old 02-01-2007, 03:21 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,163,201 times
Quote:
Probably the Fairness Campaign...they are the local activist group.

http://www.fairness.org/default.htm (broken link)

Old 02-02-2007, 06:07 PM

3 posts, read 22,391 times
There was a time, within the past 10 years, that Louisville had the largest per capita gay population. I don't think a lot of people know that.

The Highlands is an older part of town, very artsy, and has a large gay population. I would suggest living in the Eastern part of Louisville. The southern part is more "redneck," and the west end is more "urban."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area