Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 12:50 PM

187 posts, read 1,022,697 times

Advertisements

Can it be done in the Louisville area? And within 15 minutes or so of University of Lousville?

I am here right now, going back to Missouri on Friday, so I have some time to explore. I like most areas of Louisville and I also thought that Jeffersonville was okay, but apparently it is next to an area called Buechel which isnt so good? I also had mixed feelings about the areas along Dixie Highway, not sure if thats a good area for a young family to live in or not.

But at any rate what are the better areas that I can get a 4 br house in for 150k or less with good schools?

How about the Indiana towns of New Albany, Clarksville, and Jeffersonville? Good places to live or not?

Thanks, and we really like this area a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 12:57 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
The Lyndon area (along LaGrange Road btw I-264 and Hurstbourne Pky) offers that, it is probably a 15-20 minute drive in rush hour down the 8 lane Watterson X-Way. You can get on the Watterson from Hurstbourne and only go through 4 traffic signals along a 3 stretch of LaGrange / New LaGrange Road... I wish Lexington would give that a try.

There are some more affordable built in the 1960s surrounded by newer upscale developments. You might also want to check out the Moorland or Whipps Millgate suburban cities in the Lyndon area.

Floyd Co Indiana has great schools, but all the bridges can back up in rush hour. Sellersburg in Clark Co might be ok, but Clarksville & Jeffersonville are pretty dumpy and have a much higher crime rate than Louisville

Last edited by censusdata; 07-28-2008 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: correct my Kaintuckee grammar

Old 07-29-2008, 12:59 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The Lyndon area (along LaGrange Road btw I-264 and Hurstbourne Pky) offers that, it is probably a 15-20 minute drive in rush hour down the 8 lane Watterson X-Way. You can get on the Watterson from Hurstbourne and only go through 4 traffic signals along a 3 stretch of LaGrange / New LaGrange Road... I wish Lexington would give that a try.

There are some more affordable built in the 1960s surrounded by newer upscale developments. You might also want to check out the Moorland or Whipps Millgate suburban cities in the Lyndon area.

Floyd Co Indiana has great schools, but all the bridges can back up in rush hour. Sellersburg in Clark Co might be ok, but Clarksville & Jeffersonville are pretty dumpy and have a much higher crime rate than Louisville

I would not call Jeffersonville dumpy at all and I highly doubt it has a higher crime rate than Louisville, especially violent crime. I think the northern end of New Albany, around the Charlestown Road exit, is wonderful and affordable.

Also, explore the area around Veterans Parkway in Jeffersonville and the Armstrong Farm subdivision.

However, please dont discount some of the neighborhoods immediately SE of UofL. This includes the Eastern Parkway Corridor and the areas around Audubon Park (you probably wont be able to afford Audubon Park proper but areas around it are very affordable. If you look on google maps, the area is called Parkway Village just south of Eastern Parkway and Preston.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:41 PM

187 posts, read 1,022,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I would not call Jeffersonville dumpy at all and I highly doubt it has a higher crime rate than Louisville, especially violent crime. I think the northern end of New Albany, around the Charlestown Road exit, is wonderful and affordable.

Also, explore the area around Veterans Parkway in Jeffersonville and the Armstrong Farm subdivision.

However, please dont discount some of the neighborhoods immediately SE of UofL. This includes the Eastern Parkway Corridor and the areas around Audubon Park (you probably wont be able to afford Audubon Park proper but areas around it are very affordable. If you look on google maps, the area is called Parkway Village just south of Eastern Parkway and Preston.

Hmmm, I've driven down Eastern Pkwy like 4 times this week, its a nice street. Are the public schools pretty good in the area that you spoke of?

I also really like the area along Lexington Ave/Westport Rd between I-64 and Hurstbonne. I like the little area of businesses where Lexington and Westport intersect. How about that area?

Thanks

Old 07-30-2008, 05:31 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy View Post
Hmmm, I've driven down Eastern Pkwy like 4 times this week, its a nice street. Are the public schools pretty good in the area that you spoke of?

I also really like the area along Lexington Ave/Westport Rd between I-64 and Hurstbonne. I like the little area of businesses where Lexington and Westport intersect. How about that area?

Thanks
I believe the elementary school on Hess Lane is very good, but after that you might need to be in a magnet school. Male HS is an excellent magnet hs near there. The Eastern Pky area is very affordable and safe and seems to be heading in the right direction.

The area around Lexington Road & Westport Road is called St Matthews. It is pricier than Eastern Pky and offers excellent schools

Old 08-29-2008, 11:02 AM

68 posts, read 233,766 times
Eastern Parkway area, depending on where you traveled, is considered the Highlands and is quite pricey-more so than the Westport Rd areas (not including new construction of course).
Lexington Rd is very expensive.
Try Fern Creek, J-Town or Okolona. Highview is also a VERY nice area and the average house is $140's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area