U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 07:18 PM

257 posts, read 1,027,024 times

Advertisements

Hi Gang,
I have fallen in love with Ky and absolutely love the history and architecture of Louisville, I wanted to live in the downtown area but I decided that maybe the city was a little too big for my liking. I also like Bardstown, OMG it is an awesome little historical town. My question is this? I only had so much time while in that area that I didn't get to see Elizabethtown, St. Matthews, or Shepherdsville, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the specifics on these 3 towns.

I am an older adult, no children so schools aren't important, but having some amenities are........Bookstores, coffeeshops, public parks and such. Was wondering if anyone could give me a description or info on these areas I missed. I rented the dvd "elizabethtown" today and will be watching it this weekend, they say it was really filmed there so I can get some idea of the area.

Anyhow, I am concentrating on this area for now.........LOL

Thanks, and any comments or info will be welcomed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 07:56 AM

6,992 posts, read 15,127,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
Hi Gang,
I have fallen in love with Ky and absolutely love the history and architecture of Louisville, I wanted to live in the downtown area but I decided that maybe the city was a little too big for my liking. I also like Bardstown, OMG it is an awesome little historical town. My question is this? I only had so much time while in that area that I didn't get to see Elizabethtown, St. Matthews, or Shepherdsville, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the specifics on these 3 towns.

I am an older adult, no children so schools aren't important, but having some amenities are........Bookstores, coffeeshops, public parks and such. Was wondering if anyone could give me a description or info on these areas I missed. I rented the dvd "elizabethtown" today and will be watching it this weekend, they say it was really filmed there so I can get some idea of the area.

Anyhow, I am concentrating on this area for now.........LOL

Thanks, and any comments or info will be welcomed.

Actually, most of Elizabethtown was filmed in parts of downtown Louisville (4th street and market street) as well as Versailles, KY. I don't really think anything but one or two scenes was filmed in Etown.

St. Matthews is an inner ring suburb of Louisville, only 10 minutes from downtown. It has a very urban feel in parts and even has parts where you may live in an older house and walk to bars, restuarants, bookstore, etc. Shepherdsville is growing sprawly suburbia, about 20-25 minutes from downtown Louisville. Retail is slim in the area but there is a plethora of new subdivisions as well as an associated rural vibe in parts. Elizabethtown is a small city in its own right vibe and feel. It is over 45 minutes south of Louisville without traffic and is semi-independent of Louisville, although residents rely on Louisville for cultural attractions, airport, etc. Still, Etown is in the greater Louisville region.

Based on your description of what you want, Louisville or its immediate suburbs would be more to your liking. Etown won't have many amenities you are looking for.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:24 PM

850 posts, read 3,014,450 times
Hey stx - have you forgotten about the shops and development on Hwy 31w in Elizabethtown? They have everything now - Old Navy, Bed Bath & Beyond, Barnes and Noble, Best Buy, Pier One, etc. Walmart, Target, Lowes, and Home Depot are seconds from K-mart, Staples, and Office Depot. Kroger is located on both sides of town, and the Town Mall has American Eagle, Sears, J.C.Penny - and more little stores than I can count.
Christmas shopping is a breeze - as is everday life.

And just out of my own curiosity - do you really consider it to be within the greater Louisville region - when it is 50+ miles away? Driving straight up I-65 to downtown Louisville takes about an hour with light traffic. I live 15 minutes from E-town and it takes me 45 minutes on the button to reach the Broadway exit downtown. Just wondering...

Putty -
Elizabethtown is completely independent of Louisville, actually - located in Hardin county. No, no big airport, but there is one for smaller aircraft, like Bowman field in Louisville. You may choose to use the airport in Lexington, also. It is smaller -as Louisville was when it was known as Standiford Field rather than Louisville Internatinal Airport - but Lexington is growing by leaps and bounds. Lexington and Louisville are almost equal distance to E-town.

Elizabethtown is a wonderful city - bigger than Bardstown - but with that same small town feeling. Alot to do and be involved in. I still have not seen the movie - but look forward to it!

Shepherdsville is a good location - outside of the Louisville traffic, small town feel - but easily accessible to I-65, the gateway to anywhere you want to be. It is located in Bullitt County - as Louisville is in Jefferson County. It would be a good choice if you prefer being more in the country - but driving to a bookstore takes a little drive. Mt. Washington is in Bullitt county - and it is a small town, too - but closer to the east end of Louisville.

When you visited Bardstown - had you continued straight north on Hwy31E, you would have driven right through it. Many who do not want the Louisvile traffic live there and commute to Louisville daily - but the shopping is till sparse. Growing, though!

I do agree that what you seem to be describing may better fit the St. Matthews area of Louisville (east end) - but E-town may also be the ticket if you do not mind driving to live theatre. That is really the only thing it is missing - it is present - but not on the scale of Actor's Theatre of Louisville.

Hope this helps a little. The major difference will be this - did you like the feel of Bardstown but just needed more things to do? Then E-town is the ticket.

If you think a bigger city is more your style - then shoot for the east end of Louisville. Check out http://www.louisvilleky.gov/ - this will help you learn more about Louisville Metro.

Good luck to you wherever you land!

KimmieyKY

Old 01-29-2007, 01:22 PM

elizabethtown is a VERY small town. To say that it offers everything Louisville does with the exception of SOME live theatre is just very misleading. Its like saying Louisville offers everything New York does. Come on Kimmy!!! A good restaurant in etown is Cracker Barrel or Texas Roadhouse. A good restuarant in Louisville is AAA four stars like the English Grill or Z's. An ethnic restuarant in Etown is Taco Bell or one of a couple ethnic Mexican places. An ethnic restuarant in Louisville is Vietnam Kitchen in a neighborhood with at least SOME international diversity. Ethinc is Louisville includes every genre. A good bookstore in Etown is Borders, a good one in Louisville offers eclectic reading and music you could never find in etown (carmichaels's). A nice store in etown is Old Navy. A nice store in Louisville is at least Banana Republic, if not a department store like Von Maur where you can find things like Burberry shirts, designer jewelry, etc. Do you think many of the women in the east end of Louiville would trade Z spa for a small salon in etown? I am not being snotty, just being realistic. To someone who knows nothing about KY, you are making etown sound like it offers everything Louisville does. Sure, for suburban, simple minded country type people it may. But for the more sophisticated set, they would not be able to live in a place like etown. Thats not to see its not a nice place. it is nice--and relaxing. But not much there for anyone with any taste for the "finer things in life." (I dont know how else to phrase this?)

Furthermore, etown is part of the Louisville CSA, which strecthes from etown to scottsburg, IN. So yes, its is broadly part of the Louisville region, although mildly independent in that ppl dont need to come to Louisville everyday. This is a federally defined economic region. If you are interested, look up "consolidated metropolitan areas." Etown is reliant on Louisville in almost every single way for anything outside basic daily life, and for those that have a taste for something more than Texas Roadhouse or nightlife in a dive bar, its essential to come to Louisville. In the same way, Louisvillians leave town to shop in bigger cities, see bigger and better museums, attend pro sporting events, etc. Does that make sense? Hopefully Putty can see what I am trying to point out here.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:48 PM

850 posts, read 3,014,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
To someone who knows nothing about KY, you are making etown sound like it offers everything Louisville does. Sure, for suburban, simple minded country type people it may. But for the more sophisticated set, they would not be able to live in a place like etown. Thats not to see its not a nice place. it is nice--and relaxing. But not much there for anyone with any taste for the "finer things in life." (I dont know how else to phrase this?)

You are right. Having lived here since 1966, attending school in Jefferson and Bullitt counties, working in the Medical Community of Jefferson and Bullitt Counties, being 10 to 15 minutes away from E-town since 1984 - with family from Henry to Hardin county and all points in between and southeast to Casey County, southwest to Paducah......I only know one thing.....

When to NOT respond to a comment like yours.

Have a nice day.

KimmieyKY

Old 01-29-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
You are right. Having lived here since 1966, attending school in Jefferson and Bullitt counties, working in the Medical Community of Jefferson and Bullitt Counties, being 10 to 15 minutes away from E-town since 1984 - with family from Henry to Hardin county and all points in between and southeast to Casey County, southwest to Paducah......I only know one thing.....

When to NOT respond to a comment like yours.

Have a nice day.

KimmieyKY
Just bc you lived somewhere for a long time does not make you an authority. I wasnt trying to be mean, just honest. The fact is, Etown does not offer the same amenities that Louisville does. You made that direct statement and I tried to clarify what you said. If putty wants single nightlife, historic homes, art galleries, fine dining, more diversity, better and eclectic shopping, cultural amenities, etc, she must choose Louisville. If she prefers more of a country, small town lifestyle and is satisfied with shopping options like Old Navy and Cracker Barrel, that is her choice. However, I did not want to mislead and disappoint her, thats all.

When you make a comment like Etown offers what Louisville does minus something like Actors Theatre, I just think that is way off. I would never tell someone from New York that Louisville offers everything NYC does except for Radio City Music Hall. That would just be silly, but to a foreigner unfamiliar with both cities, they may take that literally. Fact is, Louisville does not have much national name recognition, so someone may be inclined to think Louisville and Etown are similar. Heck, amny people already think Lexington offers everything Louisville does, but if you have lived in both cities, you know that the difference is DRAMATIC even btwn those two!

Old 02-07-2007, 07:52 PM

26 posts, read 131,488 times
Default You are being snotty

[ I am not being snotty, just being realistic. To someone who knows nothing about KY, you are making etown sound like it offers everything Louisville does. Sure, for suburban, simple minded country type people it may. But for the more sophisticated set, they would not be able to live in a place like etown. Thats not to see its not a nice place. it is nice--and relaxing. But not much there for anyone with any taste for the "finer things in life." (I dont know how else to phrase this?]

stx, I am from So Cal where we have access to the supposed 'finer things in life' including dining, theatre, sports, etc... Let me say that I've visited both Louisville and E Town and from my perspective E Town provides a slower paced, more relaxed environment absent the 'finer things in life' that we no longer feel are so 'desirable'.

I think your observations are probably accurate regarding the distinction between the 2 areas (I have no reason to doubt you) however just for the record living in an area with supposed upscale amenities is of limited attraction to one who has lived in a fast paced environment (I am referring to myself and not Putty).

Last, when I consider relocation (and I am) it is the people and their attitudes that are of primary consideration for my decision making. I can alway drive to Louisville (which I will when I feel the need to) however I hope (and believe) that the majority of Louisville residents are more friendly than what I've read in the tone of your reply to kimmieky..

Old 02-08-2007, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne G View Post
[ I am not being snotty, just being realistic. To someone who knows nothing about KY, you are making etown sound like it offers everything Louisville does. Sure, for suburban, simple minded country type people it may. But for the more sophisticated set, they would not be able to live in a place like etown. Thats not to see its not a nice place. it is nice--and relaxing. But not much there for anyone with any taste for the "finer things in life." (I dont know how else to phrase this?]

stx, I am from So Cal where we have access to the supposed 'finer things in life' including dining, theatre, sports, etc... Let me say that I've visited both Louisville and E Town and from my perspective E Town provides a slower paced, more relaxed environment absent the 'finer things in life' that we no longer feel are so 'desirable'.

I think your observations are probably accurate regarding the distinction between the 2 areas (I have no reason to doubt you) however just for the record living in an area with supposed upscale amenities is of limited attraction to one who has lived in a fast paced environment (I am referring to myself and not Putty).

Last, when I consider relocation (and I am) it is the people and their attitudes that are of primary consideration for my decision making. I can alway drive to Louisville (which I will when I feel the need to) however I hope (and believe) that the majority of Louisville residents are more friendly than what I've read in the tone of your reply to kimmieky..
well, i did not mean to come off the wrong way. If I did, I apologize. However, I think Kimmy made a pretty blanket generalization, and since people generally know little about Lville, I wanted to make sure people knew what she was saying. I would never tell you Louisville offers the same thing as LA minus a beach and a "couple theatres." There is no comparison btwn Louisville and LA. Likewise, there is no comparison btwn Louisville and etown. Louisville is a "diverse" metropolis compared to Etown. Likewise, LA makes Louisville look like a very slow paced town with not as much to do. But thats ok, its all in what you want....lets just not mislead people. again, sorry for the mix up.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:33 PM

26 posts, read 131,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
well, i did not mean to come off the wrong way. If I did, I apologize. However, I think Kimmy made a pretty blanket generalization, and since people generally know little about Lville, I wanted to make sure people knew what she was saying. I would never tell you Louisville offers the same thing as LA minus a beach and a "couple theatres." There is no comparison btwn Louisville and LA. Likewise, there is no comparison btwn Louisville and etown. Louisville is a "diverse" metropolis compared to Etown. Likewise, LA makes Louisville look like a very slow paced town with not as much to do. But thats ok, its all in what you want....lets just not mislead people. again, sorry for the mix up.
Hi STX,

Thanks so much for your comments, I appreciate your intent (to not mislead people) and I think I may have over reacted in my tone towards your reply to KimmieKY. I hope I have not offended you with my tone, and if I have please accept my apologies too. I appreciate everyone who has knowledge and is willing to share it for those of us (myself included) who are trying to make intelligent decisions about relocations to Ky. Thanks for your insights and again, I agree with your approach that it's all relative (the comparisons) to what one wants (personal preferences). I believe E Town and Louisville are both good places to live and it really comes down to individual taste, preferences and values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area