U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:56 AM

43 posts, read 107,950 times

Advertisements

As we continue to explore a job opportunity in your fine city, I am fine tuning my housing choices. What are the opinions of Heather Green in Oldham? I have yet to touch my feet on the ground there but I really like what I am learning! I need more input about the schools. I have a 3rd grader and and 8th grader. I see Goshen to be the best elementary and like Hillcrest as well. What is the difference between North oldham and south oldham? Also any builders to stay away from? Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 01:27 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,343,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellib View Post
As we continue to explore a job opportunity in your fine city, I am fine tuning my housing choices. What are the opinions of Heather Green in Oldham? I have yet to touch my feet on the ground there but I really like what I am learning! I need more input about the schools. I have a 3rd grader and and 8th grader. I see Goshen to be the best elementary and like Hillcrest as well. What is the difference between North oldham and south oldham? Also any builders to stay away from? Thanks so much!
Never heard of it, but really anywhere in Oldham is nice. I personally find the US 42 corridor, from prospect to goshen, to be the most upscale and the best investment. All the schools and high schools are excellent in the district, so the difference between north and south oldham is trivial. Much of my decision would be based on where I would work and commutes. In general though, I would say the part of Oldham north and west of I-71 is generally considered the most upscale, especially in some of those subdvisions around North Oldham HS, which is an excellent school.

Here are the best elementary schools on the KY side of the metro area:

1: Greathouse/Shyrock 114 (Louisville)
2: Anchorage Independent 112 (independent school district located in Louisville)
3: Goshen 107.5 (Oldham)
4: Schaffner Traditional 105.9 (Louisville)
5: Liberty 104.4 (Oldham)
6: Audubon Traditional 102.8 (Louisville)
7: Norton 102.2 (Louisville)
8: Wilder 101.2 (Louisville)
8: Lowe 101.2 (Louisville)
10: Buckner 101.0 (Oldham)

This is according to CATS standardized testing scores from 2007 (Louisville Magazine was my source).

As you can see, most are in the city...the reason the city avereages are so low is there are several horrible schools which bring the average down.

And, here is US NEWS rankings from last year:

According to US News National Ranking of high schools, only 5 Louisville metro high schools made the top 1200 list. In Louisville they were Manual, Eastern, and Ballard. South Oldham and Oldham made the list at the low end (between 1000 to 1200 best). The list only contains public schools.

Here is an example for Manual, which is actually one of the best high schools for math/science in the country. It ranked 112 on this years US News overall list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuPont_Manual_High_School

Old 08-02-2008, 02:14 PM

4,825 posts, read 13,610,132 times
Heather Green is a superior new development. It is well planned and is much more convenient that its location might initially feel. Students living in Heather Green will attend Buckner Elementary (only 1 mile away) and Oldham County Middle and High Schools. The previous writer keeps harping on JCPS schools, but what he doesn't mention is that # 1 & # 4 are Traditional schools with almost the same odds of attending as winning the lottery. # 2 is in the highest school taxed property district in the state as well as the requirement to purchase a home with some of the highest property values in the area. # 3, # 5, & # 10 are all typical Oldham County schools which any student can achieve according to their distinct abilities.

The value of homes along US 42 are no greater than other areas of Oldham County. If you buy a $ 250-300,000 home in any area of Oldham County, you can expect it to hold or gain value equal to or better than any other area in the US. Homes priced in the $400-600,000 range are having some trouble, but not as bad as the media portrays.

Oldham County Schools Web - Home is the Oldham County Board of Education's web site.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:22 PM

thanks for your opinions. I have enjoyed reading both Stxx and tomo cox's comments here. I know you both battle it out regarding oldham and louisville proper. Please comment on what the average to above average builder cost per sq. ft would be in oldham. I am looking to stay below 625,00 and frankly am seeing many homes that are in the 500,000's that impress me with the level of finishes in the home. Also whats up with irrigation systems. It sees it is not the normal for the homes to have this.....also how built out is heather green and what is the time line there. One more thing, how far of a commute to the tinsletown and target shopping area......Thanks!

Old 08-02-2008, 05:22 PM

153 posts, read 510,580 times
The homes in Heater Green are very well built and appointed.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellib View Post
thanks for your opinions. I have enjoyed reading both Stxx and tomo cox's comments here. I know you both battle it out regarding oldham and louisville proper. Please comment on what the average to above average builder cost per sq. ft would be in oldham. I am looking to stay below 625,00 and frankly am seeing many homes that are in the 500,000's that impress me with the level of finishes in the home. Also whats up with irrigation systems. It sees it is not the normal for the homes to have this.....also how built out is heather green and what is the time line there. One more thing, how far of a commute to the tinsletown and target shopping area......Thanks!
Heather Green to my knowledge is only a few lots from done. There are however several spec homes are still available in the development.

I can not express an accurate builder cost due to the recent inflation caused by fuel including delivery expense. This doesn't mean that other input costs have fallen due to demand, but I just don't want to make a statement here that I am not 99% or greater knowledgeable about.

Heather Green to Springhurst no more than 12-15 minutes at speed limits.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:13 PM

thanks tom and King copper! I am that typical Mom that find Oldham county so appealing. I have yet to see it in person but it feels similar to an area in St.Louis that I have lived in. I am referring to wildhorse creek area in chesterfield if any one knows it! I find the slightly removed feeling refreshing and don't mond having to drive for an outing. I don't live in the mall but like to know there is a nice one to go to. On that note how far is the major mall and how old is it? I will miss the ocean here but I have plans to put a pool in the yard and heck let's make it salt water too. If I need to go as far as to add a sandy beach so be it! The less density area will suit me well! Also how long to drive into greater Louiville for say a good restaurant or theatre show?

Old 08-02-2008, 06:46 PM

Well, 10-15 min will put you in front of anything from Stoney River Steaks, Mitchell Fish Market, or Olive Garden, two franchise steak houses, and of course, Max & Erma's. Another 15 minutes will put you at another 100 or so "table cloth" eateries.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:25 PM

How about the nice indoor mall? Where is it and how old is it? Also I think I found a web site featuring the downtown district of Lagrange. There were train tracks running down the middle of it...is this a place where people gather?

Old 08-02-2008, 07:45 PM

You will have a choice of nice Malls. Mall St. Matthews and Oxmoor Mall are two highly competitive "luxury" centers with the likes of Von Maur, Dillards, Macy's, Sears, serving as anchors. Then to the south of Louisville is the largest mall, Jefferson. Because of its location, it tends to cater to more blue collar shoppers. The best Christmas Mall for some mysterious reason seems to be Greentree Mall which is just north of the Ohio River.

My office is in downtown LaGrange. Lots of people enjoy its quaintness and the ability to "pet" a moving train is unique in the United States. The problem is the "downtown" is basically one city block and several leaders off Main Street. I enjoy being a part of the area, but it's not a shopping mecca for all.

Regarding gathering, yes, there are several fairs and festivals which draw people to the courthouse yard, restaurants, and shopping. It is almost New Englandish during those events. Off the top of my head, you'll enjoy an annual arts fair, a summertime "Oldham County Day", and the annual "Light-up LaGrange" open house festival on the first Friday evening of December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area