Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 15,507 times

Advertisements

Hi! This is such a great forum!

My boyfriend and I are moving from Providence, RI, to Louisville verrry soon. he is actually already down there staying with a friend while he starts his new job; i'll be there in two weeks or so.

He is working in Middletown.
I think he could stand a commute of a half hour or so if necessary. For me it's all about being close to a lively community area. I am an artist, so the closer i am to cultural/artistic hotspots the better
Willing to spend up to 1000 or so per month, but it all depends...I need to be able to set up a studio space in or around where we live...
No kids
city excitement is definitely our thing. he is a musician-chef (extremely talented in both areas, and has maintained a career in both) and I am a painter. I am 25 and he is 33.
I workout every day, so it would be great to have a decent gym nearby.

I feel like I know NOTHING about Louisville (yet), so ANY kind of input is appreciated!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:30 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhild View Post
Hi! This is such a great forum!

My boyfriend and I are moving from Providence, RI, to Louisville verrry soon. he is actually already down there staying with a friend while he starts his new job; i'll be there in two weeks or so.

He is working in Middletown.
I think he could stand a commute of a half hour or so if necessary. For me it's all about being close to a lively community area. I am an artist, so the closer i am to cultural/artistic hotspots the better
Willing to spend up to 1000 or so per month, but it all depends...I need to be able to set up a studio space in or around where we live...
No kids
city excitement is definitely our thing. he is a musician-chef (extremely talented in both areas, and has maintained a career in both) and I am a painter. I am 25 and he is 33.
I workout every day, so it would be great to have a decent gym nearby.

I feel like I know NOTHING about Louisville (yet), so ANY kind of input is appreciated!!!
Louisville is very comprable to Providence, although slightly larger. Like Providence, it is an overgrown college town and very hip and artsy. Like Providence, it is overshadowed by nearby larger and more "namebrand" cities (although the ones around Providence are MUCH larger and cooler).

That said, you need to focus in on the Highlands. I would also look into Old Louisville, downtown, Butchertown, Crescent Hill, Clifton, and Germantown, but I would focus on the Highlands. Look at a map. Focus on the area around Cherokee Park, close to Bardstown/Baxter Ave. Then, search craigslist for 2 bedroom apartments in the 700-1000 range. You will certainly find what you need, just be aware that many places are older, so be sure to ask about the age of appliances, the availability of washer/dryer, parking, etc.

Also, get your boyfriend started on the forum at LouisvilleHotBytes.com. It is free to join and will introduce you both to the wonderful foodie culture in the city.

Let me get you started:

Highlands
http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/2175667489.html (broken link)

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/2138921260.html (broken link)

The emerging Butchertown area:

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/2174972502.html (broken link)

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/2170689170.html (broken link)

(this one is a STEAL for how updated it is at that price. Also may benefit if you need more of a temporary spot on a month to month lease)

Clifton:

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/2175897375.html (broken link)

Old LOuisville:

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/2157071889.html (broken link)

Crescent Hill:

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/2116430673.html (broken link)

Germantown

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/2174442794.html (broken link)

(just to the west of this home is railroad tracks which divides this area from the only "ghetto" east of ninth street which is known as Smoketown/Shelby Park).

downtown:

http://thehenryclay.com/residential (this owner/developer has some great urban properties and is the go to for urban restoration downtown).

Last edited by Peter1948; 01-24-2011 at 08:59 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 15,507 times
Thank you so much, this has been so helpful; if you think of anything else, let me know!

Old 02-25-2011, 12:34 PM

5 posts, read 17,622 times
Breckinridge County I am looking to relocate here how much money should i have saved before relocating I am not employed but have skills. I am educated and furthering my education a single mom and well the area is not offering us much and I want the kids to have more then they do in the area, they offer more methadone clinics then they do events or places for families and friends.. please any suggestions i will be updating my profile and information.

xxoo,
Becky n family.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:52 PM

5 posts, read 17,622 times
-Where you are working: in home

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: Rent: from 500-650/mo. Own: depends but a 1br or 2br price range or if there is utilities included

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: max 30 mins, preferably 15 mins at the most though

-If you have kids: public or private depends on income

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? away from the city but am flexible depending on housing amounts... Looking for a fresh start that is reasonable and realistic for my personal situation.

-Community amenities important to you: what is amenities???

-Pie or cake? pie <3

Old 05-25-2011, 07:29 AM

7 posts, read 21,507 times
Default Moving to Louisville from South Dakota

Hello all,

In July, I will be moving to Kentucky after finishing up my MBA degree and will be working in banking in Elizabethtown. From what I have heard from others, many commute down to Elizabethtown from Louisville, which is what I plan on doing since I want to live in a larger city.

I was hoping for any advice on where to live that would be beneficial commute wise and also what some nice areas would be as well. My budget will be around $1000 per month for housing, but would prefer to spend less. Since I do not have the savings for a down payment on a house yet, I will be renting. I would be looking for a one bedroom since I have no kids, and maybe even a loft if the commute was not bad.

Also, what kind of activities do young professionals have to do in the city?

I was also hoping to find out about the culture of the city as well, i.e. liberal or artsy.

Any other help or advice would also be very helpful! Thanks!

Old 06-08-2011, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 7,326 times
Default Moving to Louisville

Hi,

First time posting. I am considering a move to Louisville. I have been to the city before. Much of my family lives in KY so I know what to expect in that regard.

Where you are working; Initially I will be substitute teaching district wide
-How much you are willing to spend on housing: 600$ furnished. I prefer a yard , am willing to share with another person.
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: 30-40 mins Bus/bike/moped
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? No kids
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: I am looking for a friendly neighborhood experience that is close to night life and a thriving famers market. It does not have to be polished. A neighborhood or area with spacious yards or garden spaces is desired.

-Community amenities important to you: I love gardening and bicycling.
bike shops, hardwares stores, local scene stuff. bus access,
-Pie or cake? PIE

I would really like to find a unique place with a large space for urban Farming. It is my ambition to create a small urban farm and supply to certain restaurants and one farmers market.
Good luck finding a landlord right?
What I most want to know is what areas may facilitate this idea?

Read more: [URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/louisville-area/397715-newcomers-please-read-before-posting-so.html#ixzz1OiNqLVoY[/URL]

Old 09-09-2011, 11:35 AM

11 posts, read 18,570 times
Hello, Newbie here. I might be coming to Louisville for a job at WKLY. I am in my late 20's and somewhat familiar with louisville. I was wondering if someone could give me advice on Cost of living, apartments etc,etc.

For right now, I have a offer of 30,000 a year and a little bit concerned, if this is possible to live on in Louisville.

I am still paying off my student loan debt, which takes a considerable amount of my check now. I only make about 18,000 a year now and making ends meets gets hard from time to time.

I am hoping this move and job will help with paying student loans. I am interested in living close to my job if the area is affordable.

Some things about me. I love a big city with a small town feel and I think Louisville fits that interest for me. I enjoy walking to things close by such as a fitness center, local bar with different type beers, huge sports fan. Anything with a nice running path is great. Being from Indiana and being an hour from Indy. I am somewhat spoiled by everything being so close, but I am willing to drive or run to get to some excitement. Very active guy in other words.

I also saw this apartment on craiglist. I was wondering if this is a scam because it looks very nice and very affordable.

Modern Apartment living (http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/2527717374.html - broken link)

sorry if I left out any important information.. I will get back to answer any question soon as possible.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadis View Post
Hello, Newbie here. I might be coming to Louisville for a job at WKLY. I am in my late 20's and somewhat familiar with louisville. I was wondering if someone could give me advice on Cost of living, apartments etc,etc.

For right now, I have a offer of 30,000 a year and a little bit concerned, if this is possible to live on in Louisville.

I am still paying off my student loan debt, which takes a considerable amount of my check now. I only make about 18,000 a year now and making ends meets gets hard from time to time.

I am hoping this move and job will help with paying student loans. I am interested in living close to my job if the area is affordable.

Some things about me. I love a big city with a small town feel and I think Louisville fits that interest for me. I enjoy walking to things close by such as a fitness center, local bar with different type beers, huge sports fan. Anything with a nice running path is great. Being from Indiana and being an hour from Indy. I am somewhat spoiled by everything being so close, but I am willing to drive or run to get to some excitement. Very active guy in other words.

I also saw this apartment on craiglist. I was wondering if this is a scam because it looks very nice and very affordable.

Modern Apartment living (http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/2527717374.html - broken link)

sorry if I left out any important information.. I will get back to answer any question soon as possible.
To get more responses, I recommend a new thread.

I currently live in Louisville making about $24-25k a year and have debt and I live pretty decently. I was able to find a place within 10 min drive of my office for $400 a month plus electric.

I am correct I'm assuming WLKY is downtown? If so, I'd look into Downtown Phoenix Hill, and Old Louisville for proximity.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:24 PM

8 posts, read 23,362 times
connections...biggest gay bar in the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area