Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 6,851 times

Advertisements

Howdy,
My fiance and I are having a little trouble finding a rental that allows a large dog (100lb. lab mix) and 2 cats. I was hoping that some of the friendly people in this forum would have some advice for places to look into or avoid...anything is appreciated

-Where you are working - He'll be working at UofL medical campus downtown and likely I would be as well

-How much you are willing to spend on housing - about $1000/month or something about there.

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate. maximum 30-40 mins

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? no kids.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? We're looking with some place that has some greenery around for the dog. Being relatively close to a supermarket and pharmacy would be ideal - so I guess "suburbia delight".

-Community amenities important to you. Washing machine inside or at least on premise. A stove, fridge, and a patio/balcony would be nice too. A place that had lots of light would be a bonus.

We were suggested to look at the east-side of UofL. Are there any opinions of Waterford Place, the overlook at St. Thomas, the Paddock at Eastpoint, Woodbridge Apartments, Summit Place...or if they would allow 2 cats as the "2nd animal"? Thank you again

Old 07-17-2012, 02:52 PM

7,064 posts, read 16,643,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkyinky View Post
Howdy,
My fiance and I are having a little trouble finding a rental that allows a large dog (100lb. lab mix) and 2 cats. I was hoping that some of the friendly people in this forum would have some advice for places to look into or avoid...anything is appreciated

-Where you are working - He'll be working at UofL medical campus downtown and likely I would be as well

-How much you are willing to spend on housing - about $1000/month or something about there.

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? We're looking with some place that has some greenery around for the dog. Being relatively close to a supermarket and pharmacy would be ideal - so I guess "suburbia delight".

-Community amenities important to you. Washing machine inside or at least on premise. A stove, fridge, and a patio/balcony would be nice too. A place that had lots of light would be a bonus.

We were suggested to look at the east-side of UofL. Are there any opinions of Waterford Place, the overlook at St. Thomas, the Paddock at Eastpoint, Woodbridge Apartments, Summit Place...or if they would allow 2 cats as the "2nd animal"? Thank you again

no idea but theyre all nice. Out of those, I would go with the Overlook. It is just closer in to downtown and closer to what makes Louisville unique and cool. The other areas around I-265, while nice and new, are literally "anywhere USA."

That said, if you are both working downtown, why not live downtown or close to it? I would really suggest looking for an old home to rent from a private landlord in one of Louisville' closer in urban nabes that make the city unique, walkable, and kitsch. You will be in closely proximity to people instead of socially isolated in a parking lot enclosed "complex" where it is literally next to impossible to walk a dog and meet other couples or just walk to get a local cup of java. So, get on craigslist and give it a whirl. It takes more work to find these places.....you may visit a few that look great in pics but are dumpy in person or on a not so great street. But you will never know if you do not look, and I think you will feel much more connected to the city and its vibe, especially as a downtown worker in the medical district and nearby Nulu.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:04 PM

9 posts, read 28,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkyinky View Post
Howdy,

We are being transferred to Louisville and my fiancé is currently living at Waterford Place while our house is being built (I am in Minnesota until our wedding up here in October). We also have a dog, although she's medium-large (55 lbs) and doesn't sound as big as yours. He looked at a couple of the complexes you listed and found Waterford to be the best bang for our buck, plus we love St. Matthews. Although I was unable to see the unit yet when I visited in early August, I really liked the grounds. He's happy with the place thus far and says he can't hear other people's pets unless their windows are all open at the same time. He does say traffic can get backed up around the area, though.

However, if I can offer some advice as a girl not yet living in the Lou, if you're looking for a unique experience that's closer to downtown, check out some private rentals as previously mentioned. As a glutton for culture, I love the Highlands and a lot of amazing old houses are rented out as single units up to four plexes, which might also be easier with the number of animals you have. The only reason we didn't ultimately go this route (and we tried!) is that a lot of these types of rentals are not flexible with their lease terms and we can't commit to a year. Trust me, I still check the listings on Craigslist and curse myself for what we're missing out on. If you're flexible with your lease commitment, size of the apartment (which can also lead to cheaper rent) and possible street-only parking, give it a look.

We also looked downtown and while there are some fabulous pet-friendly rentals (albeit more expensive and not sure of the weight limits), what stopped us from going there was the reminder that if our dog needed to go out in the middle of the night in, say, Glassworks or the Henry Clay, we'd have to get up and go down an elevator and/or numerous flights of stairs PLUS find an appropriate place to do so. Food for thought.

Good luck!

Old 12-15-2012, 07:27 PM

35 posts, read 59,942 times
I am interested in moving to Louisville by 2-13.i am looking for a cna job that would accept my I'll.st.license.i am looking for a facility within walking distance where I might be able to rent an apt.400-600 a mo.a 1 bdrm near shopping that accepts cats.thanks.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl2 View Post
I am interested in moving to Louisville by 2-13.i am looking for a cna job that would accept my I'll.st.license.i am looking for a facility within walking distance where I might be able to rent an apt.400-600 a mo.a 1 bdrm near shopping that accepts cats.thanks.
Hmmm, that is a very low rent range. Where are you moving from? Do you like urban and walkable or more of suburban apartment complex style? Age and interests would help.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 13,061 times
Default Moving to Louisville in mid-Feb

Hello all, this forum has been VERY helpful so far, so I thought I'd ask opinions on what neighborhood would be good to move to. I should be in Louisville to look for a house to rent during the last week of January, and ideally I would like to go through a realtor because we have some specific requirements. Here's my list:

-Where you are working: Off of Preston Hwy, near I-265 and I-65, but I will be travelling and working from home most of the time.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: Up to $1500 per month
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: Since I'll regularly have to drive to Lexington, Columbus and Nashville, commute is not an issue.
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?: No kids, but two golden retrievers
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? I prefer small town feeling but close to retail centers (I don't want to drive 15 minutes to hit a grocery store)
-Community amenities important to you: newer suburb type, not ritzy but not blue collar either, would prefer a newer home to rent (within 10 years old), where people keep homes looking nice, no tires in the front yard if you get my drift.
-Pie or cake? Neither, give me ice cream any day!

My husband is 55, I'm 44. We lived in Denver for 12 years and owned a home, had to sell and move to San Diego for a job, then moved up to Orange County CA for the last 6 months, and now my job is moving me to Louisville - which we are SO happy about! Hate California and the mindset here. Plus I have about 200 relatives living in and around Owensboro so it will be nice to be close to family.

We need a house to rent that is single story only, has a decent backyard for the dogs and someone who will accept our two dogs which are over 100 lbs. We need wood/pergo flooring because the dogs would dirty up carpet too much. Close to a major highway would be important as I'll be driving regularly for work and my husband will be looking for a job.

I have been looking around and reading posts and it sounds like south or southeast would be good for us, maybe around McNeely lake? Not sure but I need some direction as well as a recommendation on a real estate agent or house finders service that can meet me in a few weeks to show me some houses. We're not ready to buy yet.

Thanks, I'm so glad I found this forum!

Carlene

Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodslass View Post
Hello all, this forum has been VERY helpful so far, so I thought I'd ask opinions on what neighborhood would be good to move to. I should be in Louisville to look for a house to rent during the last week of January, and ideally I would like to go through a realtor because we have some specific requirements. Here's my list:

-Where you are working: Off of Preston Hwy, near I-265 and I-65, but I will be travelling and working from home most of the time.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: Up to $1500 per month
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: Since I'll regularly have to drive to Lexington, Columbus and Nashville, commute is not an issue.
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?: No kids, but two golden retrievers
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? I prefer small town feeling but close to retail centers (I don't want to drive 15 minutes to hit a grocery store)
-Community amenities important to you: newer suburb type, not ritzy but not blue collar either, would prefer a newer home to rent (within 10 years old), where people keep homes looking nice, no tires in the front yard if you get my drift.
-Pie or cake? Neither, give me ice cream any day!

My husband is 55, I'm 44. We lived in Denver for 12 years and owned a home, had to sell and move to San Diego for a job, then moved up to Orange County CA for the last 6 months, and now my job is moving me to Louisville - which we are SO happy about! Hate California and the mindset here. Plus I have about 200 relatives living in and around Owensboro so it will be nice to be close to family.

We need a house to rent that is single story only, has a decent backyard for the dogs and someone who will accept our two dogs which are over 100 lbs. We need wood/pergo flooring because the dogs would dirty up carpet too much. Close to a major highway would be important as I'll be driving regularly for work and my husband will be looking for a job.

I have been looking around and reading posts and it sounds like south or southeast would be good for us, maybe around McNeely lake? Not sure but I need some direction as well as a recommendation on a real estate agent or house finders service that can meet me in a few weeks to show me some houses. We're not ready to buy yet.

Thanks, I'm so glad I found this forum!

Carlene
Are you more city people? Or suburban? Rural? What do you like to do in spare time? How big are your dogs, and do you need a big yard?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 13,061 times
We are definetly not city people nor rural...suburb type. We do need a yard but it doesn't have to be a half acre or anything. Our dogs are large golden retrievers, one is 85 lbs and the other is over 120 lbs. For fun we like to read and cook and travel, maybe go see a movie or see a play a few times a year.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 15,264 times
Hello everybody!!!

I'm moving to Louisville on October 1st of this year due to my job relocation. I'm coming from NYC so it's a huge career move for me and my family.

-Where you are working: 462 S Fourth St.
-How much you are willing to spend on housing: Up to $800 on 1 or 2 bedrooms
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: I prefer walking as much as possible. If not, about 15-20 mins commute
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Whichever as long as they're highly rated.
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? Coming from NY, I would prefer a little bit of city living, maybe small city excitement.
-Community amenities important to you: Church, Grocery, Public Transportation, Parking, Restaurants, Shopping
-Pie or cake: Doesn't matter.

Thanks a lot for your inputs!

Old 01-27-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martine8 View Post
Hello everybody!!!

I'm moving to Louisville on October 1st of this year due to my job relocation. I'm coming from NYC so it's a huge career move for me and my family.

-Where you are working: 462 S Fourth St.
-How much you are willing to spend on housing: Up to $800 on 1 or 2 bedrooms
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: I prefer walking as much as possible. If not, about 15-20 mins commute
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Whichever as long as they're highly rated.
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? Coming from NY, I would prefer a little bit of city living, maybe small city excitement.
-Community amenities important to you: Church, Grocery, Public Transportation, Parking, Restaurants, Shopping
-Pie or cake: Doesn't matter.

Thanks a lot for your inputs!

Highlands, Old Louisville, Butchertown, or Clifton for you. PM me if any questions. Welcome!

New2Lou
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area