Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 12,858 times

Advertisements

Hi, since I've lived almost all my life on the West Coast, I'd appreciate some help in finding neighborhoods to start looking for a place to live in Louisville.

-Where you are working: U of L Hospital

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: Rent: from 400-650/mo. Own: depends but a 1br or 2br price range

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: max 30 mins, preferably 15 mins at the most though

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Nope

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? Since I'm single and young, would like a SAFE place near downtown/restaurants/movie theatres, etc where I don't have to drive 20 mins to get to a walmart or a grocery store. Also would like the buildings to be on the newer side or renovated older properties since I don't want the problems that come with older homes, buildings, etc. Also would need something with parking included, if that makes a difference.

-Community amenities important to you: Not much than what's above

-Pie or cake? Cake

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2010, 09:28 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pith84 View Post
Hi, since I've lived almost all my life on the West Coast, I'd appreciate some help in finding neighborhoods to start looking for a place to live in Louisville.

-Where you are working: U of L Hospital

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: Rent: from 400-650/mo. Own: depends but a 1br or 2br price range

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: max 30 mins, preferably 15 mins at the most though

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? Nope

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? Since I'm single and young, would like a SAFE place near downtown/restaurants/movie theatres, etc where I don't have to drive 20 mins to get to a walmart or a grocery store. Also would like the buildings to be on the newer side or renovated older properties since I don't want the problems that come with older homes, buildings, etc. Also would need something with parking included, if that makes a difference.

-Community amenities important to you: Not much than what's above

-Pie or cake? Cake

Thanks!

Your description best fits tghe HIghlands, yet the properties are very old. Id still say look in that area for a renovated property. Try craigslist.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 15,344 times
Wink Moving to Louisville from Tampa

Hi all. We are a Navy family moving to Louisville in June from Tampa FL. We would like some info on where we should be looking and possibly a recommendation of someone to call for our rental needs.

Specifics:

Husband will be working on Dixie Hwy.

We can go as high as $1600 to $1800 for rent 3 year minimum lease

we are currently commuting 30 mins for husband and 45 minutes for me so anything less than that would be great but not a make/break it situation.

Private school. Most likely The Montessori School of Louisville on Champion Farms

I would really love more historic home or something with something "interesting" about it but it seems Old Louisville might not be safe? Found a nice on on the 1400 block of S. 1st how is that neighborhood?

Barring a decent historic feeling home, that sort of feel would be great. Suburban is ok too. Just a bit closer to school and a bit closer to shopping than what we have now (shopping about 30 mins and more away currently)

PIE!!!!!

TIA

Old 03-25-2010, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilibetty7 View Post
Hi all. We are a Navy family moving to Louisville in June from Tampa FL. We would like some info on where we should be looking and possibly a recommendation of someone to call for our rental needs.

Specifics:

Husband will be working on Dixie Hwy.

We can go as high as $1600 to $1800 for rent 3 year minimum lease

we are currently commuting 30 mins for husband and 45 minutes for me so anything less than that would be great but not a make/break it situation.

Private school. Most likely The Montessori School of Louisville on Champion Farms

I would really love more historic home or something with something "interesting" about it but it seems Old Louisville might not be safe? Found a nice on on the 1400 block of S. 1st how is that neighborhood?

Barring a decent historic feeling home, that sort of feel would be great. Suburban is ok too. Just a bit closer to school and a bit closer to shopping than what we have now (shopping about 30 mins and more away currently)

PIE!!!!!

TIA

Old Louisville is fairly safe despite what the critics say. That said, it is like any inner city area and there are some areas northwest and to the east of the neighborhood where drug deals occur, and car break ins remain a problem.
Compared to Tampa, however, crime is a joke. Certainly nothing like an area like Ybor.

I would look there, but I would also look at all the historic neighborhoods. That said, the Highlands seems ideal to you. Somwehere off Bardstown Road or Taylorsville road north of I-264. 264 will allow your husband a breeze of a commute and you will get a historic home in a walkable and 100% safe area. Unlike Tampa or any of FL, Louisville has a historic charm to it in many naighborhoods inside the 264 loop. Do yourself a favor and drive Cherokee Road, Willow Road, and the streets near Cherokee and Seneca Parks. You will fall in love and wonder where the charm in Florida is! I used to live in Louisville and miss it.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:59 AM

2 posts, read 15,344 times
Default thank you!

Thank you so much! I was pretty excited when we were told that we needed to go to Louisville because I miss the beauty of the historic homes and neighborhoods. Ybor has some charm but I wouldn't live there if you paid me! lol. I will drive down Cherokee as you suggested and who knows if I will find something. Keep your fingers crossed! Apparently noone has a HOUSE to rent in old Louisville!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 7,535 times
Hi! Will be relocating to Louisville for work.

-Will be working in east side of Louisville
-Willing to spend up to $1000
-Will tolerate up to 30 minute commute
-No kids, but have a puppy so desire a yard
-Looking to rent a 2-3 bedroom house with yard (preferably fenced in)
-Safety is very important
-Looking for a community with a small town country/suburban feel where we can walk to shops/stores

Thank you for any information you can provide!!!

Old 04-22-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy'sBuddies View Post
Hi! Will be relocating to Louisville for work.

-Will be working in east side of Louisville
-Willing to spend up to $1000
-Will tolerate up to 30 minute commute
-No kids, but have a puppy so desire a yard
-Looking to rent a 2-3 bedroom house with yard (preferably fenced in)
-Looking for a community with a small town country/suburban feel where we can walk to shops/stores

Thank you for any information you can provide!!!
Two places:

Norton Commons
LaGrange

Old 04-23-2010, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 7,515 times
Hi! I (w/husband)will be relocating to Louisville for work.

-Will be working in downtown (zip:40202, 4th street) Louisville
-Willing to spend up to $1500
-would like to walk to commute
-No kids
-Looking to rent a 1-2 bedroom
-prefer high rise building with gym and pool....and also laundry in unit, open kitchen, hardwood floor, close to walk downtown or River park.

These three condo are on my list....fleur de lis, waterpark place, riverpark place...
Is riverpark place completed and rent it? and where is located, exact address? I cannot find any information about this condo yet.

Thanks so much.

Last edited by liger0421; 04-23-2010 at 10:14 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 10:15 AM

666 posts, read 2,537,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liger0421 View Post

-No kids
-prefer high rise building with gym and pool....and also laundry in unit, open kitchen, hardwood floor, close to walk downtown or River park.

These three condo are on my list....fleur de lis, waterpark place, riverpark place...
Is riverpark place completed and rent it? I cannot find any information about this condo yet.

Thanks so much.
Riverpark Place isn't completed, or even started. Fleur De Lis is nice, as is Waterfront Park Place (not Waterpark Place). There are a lot of nice lofts in the downtown area you should look at too, just do a Google search.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liger0421 View Post

-No kids

Is riverpark place completed and rent it? and where is located, exact address? I cannot find any information about this condo yet.

Thanks so much.
River Park has been stalled.

Waterfront Park Place best fits your criteria. Have you considered buying? They are actually condos. Same with Fleur de Lis and also Mercantile Gallery Lofts. I would go to these buildings or call them and ask if any unit owners are renting their units. They usually are.

I did find this. It seems too good to be true at the listed price. If it is for real contact them.....NOW!

Here are some more to check out:

Downtown Loft Condo (http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/1668528462.html - broken link)

This one is actually Old LOuisville, south of downtown

2 bedroom/2 bathroom Condo (http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/1669876071.html - broken link)

Not the most walkable region bc sobro (area between downtown and Old Louisvile) is a little sketchy, but its a straight shot about 7 blocks into downtown on the bus.

This is actually across the river, and would be a mile walk across a busy bridge into dt but there are sidewalks and the views are grand

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/1683131787.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area