Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 04:05 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times

Advertisements

(note that I borrowed this thread from the VA forum, as we here are also getting bombarded with vague questions)

READ if you are asking about where to live in KY

There's been many threads recently from people requesting information on where to live in Louisville and suburbs. If you are about to post one of these information request threads, please include the following:

-Where you are working
-How much you are willing to spend on housing
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Community amenities important to you
-Pie or cake?

We on the Louisville forum would appreciate it if you included the above information in your initial post so you can get the information you want as quickly as possible and we would not have to repost the same questions for every thread. Thank you.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 23,945 times
Default Congress

I will attend a congress in Louisville in October. Are there any gay bars to visit? Any comments would be helpful! Frenk, The Netherlands

Old 12-11-2008, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 47,068 times
Will probably be moving to the Louisville area early January '09. I've been told I should look for something close to 64 and between or around the 264/265 rings (East Side). Thoughts on any specific neighborhoods/apartment complexes?

I'm:
Late 20's
Will be traveling for work, no specific work area
No kids
Serious relationship
Would like a sort of suburban/park/golf course/historical feel...Big on safety, being able to take walks
Looking for a studio or 1 bedroom
Budget: 700-800 a month

Thanks

Old 12-12-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFromDoral View Post
Will probably be moving to the Louisville area early January '09. I've been told I should look for something close to 64 and between or around the 264/265 rings (East Side). Thoughts on any specific neighborhoods/apartment complexes?

I'm:
Late 20's
Will be traveling for work, no specific work area
No kids
Serious relationship
Would like a sort of suburban/park/golf course/historical feel...Big on safety, being able to take walks
Looking for a studio or 1 bedroom
Budget: 700-800 a month

Thanks

Where are you coming from? Its not suburban, but the Highlands sounds perfect for you. Find a map of the city and locate Cherokee Park. That's where you want to live. Drive Willow Ave, Eastern parkway, cherokee road, bonnycastle road, lexington road, and canons lane, and search the areas froun them. You may also look at streets crossing frankfort avenue. Try using google street view first.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 47,068 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely give it a look.

Since I assume you gave me the more "urban park, historical feel"...What would be your more suburban counterpart (Close to the eastern side of 64)???Not saying I won't love Cherokee Park...I would just like to have two extremes to compare and contrast.

Oh, and I'm moving from the South Florida area, but not Miami/South Beach...

Old 12-15-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFromDoral View Post
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely give it a look.

Since I assume you gave me the more "urban park, historical feel"...What would be your more suburban counterpart (Close to the eastern side of 64)???Not saying I won't love Cherokee Park...I would just like to have two extremes to compare and contrast.

Oh, and I'm moving from the South Florida area, but not Miami/South Beach...
Well, there is really no suburban counterpart to that area. Another nice suburban area that is being built like an old town is Welcome to Norton Commons, a Traditional Neighborhood Development in Prospect, Kentucky You may be able to rent a condo over there. There are very few areas in the east suburbs which are walkable with a historic feel, but I would check out the areas around the Summit and Westport Village malls.

If you want an older, inner ring suburb, you may like St Matthews, which is walkable and urban at its northern terminus within a mile radius of a nice bar called Brendan's (among other bars on that strip). In this area, Bowling Boulevard has some nice apartments built in the suburban style, especially Waterford Place.

I would look strongly at the Highlands though. People move here and don't look at the city because they think or hear its dangerous, but Louisville is much different than other cities in that you CAN live right near downtown and be very safe. I can assure you that 40204, 40205, and 40206 zip codes are as safe as anything in the suburbs and much more rewarding areas to live with regards to urbanity, educated young professionals, walkabilty, and historic feel with parks.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:42 PM

9 posts, read 41,713 times
I am considering a move to Kentucky--would like to connect w/a headhunter who knows the area.
I have experience in the educational field and as a Director for a Social Service Organization which was funded from State and federal funding.
Thank you for any assistance you might be willing to share,

A Californian eager to relocate

Old 12-27-2008, 04:41 PM

36 posts, read 201,972 times
I would stay away from Kentucky as a state overall especially if you're from a more progressive and educated area. Not to say that all Kentuckians are backwards and hilljacks. There are some really nice people here but I will say that you will also very much find it hard to make friends here because its more important to what church you belong or what school you attended.

If you're from a more professional upbringing you might want to consider going to Chicago, Indianapolis, Atlanta, Charlotte, Cincinnati, or somewhere else in this region to pursue career and educational opportunities.

When coming here, you might take the whole phrase Southern hospitality with a grain of salt. Its more reserved for people in Alabama, Mississippi, and more southern states which Kentucky is a borderline state. I've lived here for about 5 years having lived further north and I just don't feel the positive vibe here especially getting to know people. A lot of people tend to be distant friends at best and I've even had a couple of close friends lose friends just because they didn't know the right social group. So you might consider doing something else. Just my opinion

Old 12-27-2008, 04:47 PM

36 posts, read 201,972 times
STX, not so sure that you can call downtown safe? Perhaps out in the Highlands, St. Matthews, even far South Dixie Hwy, or anywhere east of Bardstown and Poplar Level Road.

What I will recommend is to stay away from Newburg Rd. Southern Pkwy, Taylor Blvd and anywhere west of I 65.

Do consider moving to St. Regis, Lyndon, St. Matthews, Fern Creek, Hurstbourne, Jeffersontown, etc. They are pretty safe areas just as long as you stay away from places that might be hotbeds of troublemakers. Houses are better than apartment complexes for many reasons and established neighborhoods are generally saner.

Also, I might add to stay away from a lot of apartments and do a thorough search of apartment reviews review ratings rating at apartmentreview.com that way you can kind of get a feel of what apartments are nice and what others are slumlord areas. I've seen a lot of apartments in the Louisville area and I can tell you that there are some that are definitely a fit and others that should be classified as borderline condemmed.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:08 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelsmiley75 View Post
I would stay away from Kentucky as a state overall especially if you're from a more progressive and educated area. Not to say that all Kentuckians are backwards and hilljacks. There are some really nice people here but I will say that you will also very much find it hard to make friends here because its more important to what church you belong or what school you attended.

If you're from a more professional upbringing you might want to consider going to Chicago, Indianapolis, Atlanta, Charlotte, Cincinnati, or somewhere else in this region to pursue career and educational opportunities.

When coming here, you might take the whole phrase Southern hospitality with a grain of salt. Its more reserved for people in Alabama, Mississippi, and more southern states which Kentucky is a borderline state. I've lived here for about 5 years having lived further north and I just don't feel the positive vibe here especially getting to know people. A lot of people tend to be distant friends at best and I've even had a couple of close friends lose friends just because they didn't know the right social group. So you might consider doing something else. Just my opinion

Hmmmm, I find it interesting that you say you have lived here for 5 years in this thread but in another thread said this:I have to say that the assertion of the original writer is very correct. I've lived in the Southern Indiana and Louisville area for about 30 years of my life. Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area