Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:17 AM

6 posts, read 13,301 times

Advertisements

I read copy and pasted the questions and my answers. Thanks!

Where you are working

Husband will be working south side of Louisville downtown/ as well as from home some days. He is willing to drive at least 30-35 minutes one way as that is about what he drives now. Thinking south or east side of Louisville for living.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing

Between 500-800.00/month on rent. Would like at least 3 bdrm 1.5 bath (twin girls 6, and girl 19 months about to potty train~need more than one toilet lol!) Also have a male lab 70 pounds so pets welcome would help a great deal! Looking for a town house or single family home with fenced yard??

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate
30-35 min commute tops

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?

Twins are 6 will be going to Kindergarten again. Learning issues include: hard time retaining what they learn, reading, speech. Looking for a school system that may offer full day kindergarten. Any info on Louisville schools would be great. I am just starting to look into that area.

19 month old might end up going to a pre school/day care if I go back to work. Any info on this topic would be great too!

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
-Community amenities important to you

I unfortunately am a total city girl. I hate to say it but it’s true! So, the adjustment will be a harsh hit for me from what I have been told. My kids are young enough and can live anywhere once they are broke from the weekly visits to grandparents houses and make a few friends. I’m looking for an area that’s safe for my kids to play in the back yard, the dog to be outside, a park or two near by (15 min), grocery store,l library, McD’s nearby.

My husband would love to live in the country, large yard with a barn type of house. Nearest neighbor is 5 minutes away.

Of course we are both willing to meet somewhere in between both of what we like. We also love the water, boating, and any outside sport winter or summer. I have to say moving from the Cleveland area I won’t miss the 3 feet of snow and having to take the kids to school! I like the cold and snowy Christmas season yet I love the summer as well.

So, if there is an area that fits some of these things I will be a happy person! Oh yeah one last thing I’m not sure on the actual date we are moving maybe later this week I will know? The hear say time frame has been set to around October 1st. We are going to take a drive down to Louisville so I can see what Kentucky is like. I have never been there so I am looking forward to it. Going to look at rentals the weekend of August 29-Sept 1st.

Any rental companies to stay away from? Any ones that are great to work with? Thanks for any information in advance! Jenn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 11:36 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
The problem is that you will be renting. Your housing needs would be best served in the Germantown/ Original Highlands/ Parkway Village area, but the schools in the Eastern suburbs are better than those areas (not as much busing to/ from low income areas). You could get a house payment in that range in older developments through the Eastern suburbs, but I there are few rentals in that range. There are a few apartments/ townhomes that might be in that range

Parts of the SW suburbs are safe and in your price range, but the public schools there are awful - the 4 worst HS's in the state are all along Dixie Hwy.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:22 PM

153 posts, read 538,057 times
You'll be very surprised with the old city limit's eastern neighborhoods. Lville was very large up until 1930 and very similar to your home town. I would also recommend outlying areas for public schooling such as Oldham County.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:08 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The problem is that you will be renting. Your housing needs would be best served in the Germantown/ Original Highlands/ Parkway Village area, but the schools in the Eastern suburbs are better than those areas (not as much busing to/ from low income areas). You could get a house payment in that range in older developments through the Eastern suburbs, but I there are few rentals in that range. There are a few apartments/ townhomes that might be in that range

Parts of the SW suburbs are safe and in your price range, but the public schools there are awful - the 4 worst HS's in the state are all along Dixie Hwy.
Which ones aside from Western? Valley, PRP, and Doss?

Old 08-12-2008, 12:03 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Which ones aside from Western? Valley, PRP, and Doss?
Valley is the worst in the entire state, Fairdale is also really bad

Old 08-12-2008, 12:28 PM

I thought Western was THE worst, according to what you had posted before and I don't see how Valley holds onto the traditional status as bad as it is. Oh and Fairdale isn't along Dixie.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:04 AM

6 posts, read 13,301 times
We would only be renting for 1-2 years. I'm not worried about bad high schools at this point I am worried if the grade schools stink! However, they can't be too much worse than the school they attended last year! The teacher claimed they were doing great even after I was there weekly telling her and the principal they weren't!

I am worried about how they would be in school. Last year we had two issues the first, one of them ended up in the hospital after being kicked and punched in the belly. The second time the same daughter was punched in the face by another boy. The school did nothing. I ended up making a police report against a Kindergarten child (talk about bad schools!)

Anyway, one house we are looking at is on Omar Khayyam Blvd. Another one is on HASBROOK DR. How are these roads/areas?? I think the one on Omar is in that dixy hwy area? I think on another post it depends on the actual street address? Is that right?

Old 08-14-2008, 09:47 AM

12 posts, read 70,719 times
Well, as someone who lives in the more "affluent" area of dixie highway i believe that it is a pretty good area. Every part of town has it's bad areas. If you do decide on the affordable, "more bang for your buck" SW part of town i would say anywhere south of Rockford Lane and north of stonestreet road. That gives you about 5 miles to play around with, with homes ranging anywhere from 100,000 to over 1 million. The east side of Dixie Highway is the more affluent side By the way. They have also opened a new Christian Academy Private School on Saint Andrews Church Road near the Urban Active Fitness center. Traffic can be horrible at times, but overall the area is improving and the latest studies show the population of Pleasure Ridge Park will surpass J-Town's declining population so that shows some improvement. goodluck

Old 08-15-2008, 04:58 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlogro0711 View Post
We would only be renting for 1-2 years. I'm not worried about bad high schools at this point I am worried if the grade schools stink! However, they can't be too much worse than the school they attended last year! The teacher claimed they were doing great even after I was there weekly telling her and the principal they weren't!

I am worried about how they would be in school. Last year we had two issues the first, one of them ended up in the hospital after being kicked and punched in the belly. The second time the same daughter was punched in the face by another boy. The school did nothing. I ended up making a police report against a Kindergarten child (talk about bad schools!)

Anyway, one house we are looking at is on Omar Khayyam Blvd. Another one is on HASBROOK DR. How are these roads/areas?? I think the one on Omar is in that dixy hwy area? I think on another post it depends on the actual street address? Is that right?

From the sounds of your posts, it does not seem you have yet to get a good handle on Louisville. As JTSLOU notes, Dixie Highway is a middle class area that is very "southern" in nature. Louisville is a lot larger and more urban city than you think, yet it is very family friendly right in town. All things equal, I really think you need to look into living in the actual city. It is urban and walkable like Cleveland yet much cleaner, growing, and has less crime. What is ironic is all the Cleveland transplants here! You may be more happy searching some of the neigborhoods around Eastern Parkway in the city. I believe my posts provide valuable info, and Censusdata provides good demographic info. Click our name to search posts by us!

Old 08-17-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
From the sounds of your posts, it does not seem you have yet to get a good handle on Louisville. As JTSLOU notes, Dixie Highway is a middle class area that is very "southern" in nature. Louisville is a lot larger and more urban city than you think, yet it is very family friendly right in town. All things equal, I really think you need to look into living in the actual city. It is urban and walkable like Cleveland yet much cleaner, growing, and has less crime. What is ironic is all the Cleveland transplants here! You may be more happy searching some of the neigborhoods around Eastern Parkway in the city. I believe my posts provide valuable info, and Censusdata provides good demographic info. Click our name to search posts by us!
There is nothing wrong with the Dixie area as long as you don't mind the "middle class southernness" of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area