Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 10:16 AM

594 posts, read 1,040,746 times

Advertisements

Email me and I'll let you know where to send my royalty check:
  • Mediterranean Ave --> Jefferson Memorial Forest
  • Baltic Ave --> Falls of the Ohio
  • Reading RR --> Baxter Ave
  • Oriental Ave --> Derby Pie
  • Vermont Ave --> Hot Brown
  • Connecticut Ave --> Mint Julep
  • Jail/Just Visiting --> Waverly Hills Sanatarium
  • St Charles Place --> Muhammad Ali Center
  • Electric Company --> Louisville Gas & Electric
  • States Ave --> Louisville Slugger Museum
  • Virginia Ave --> Louisville Science Center
  • Pennsylvania RR --> Bardstown Road
  • St James Place --> St James Court
  • Tennessee Ave --> Gaslight Festival
  • New York Ave --> Speed Art Museum
  • Free Parking --> Waterfront Park
  • Kentucky Ave --> Iroquois Amphitheater
  • Indiana Ave --> Actors Theatre
  • Illinois Ave --> Kentucky Center for the Arts
  • B&O RR --> Frankfort Ave
  • Atlantic Ave --> Galt House
  • Ventnor Ave --> Brown Hotel
  • Water Works --> Louisville Water Tower
  • Marvin Gardens --> Seelbach Hotel
  • Go To Jail --> Ghost Hunt
  • Pacific Ave --> Kentucky State Fair
  • North Carolina Ave --> Fourth Street Live
  • Pennsylvania Ave --> Thunder Over Louisville
  • Short Line --> River Road
  • Park Place --> Kentucky Oaks
  • Luxury Tax --> Derby Eve Party
  • Boardwalk --> Kentucky Derby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 AM

7,054 posts, read 16,635,008 times
I think you guys are sort of missing the boat here...I would like to see more local restuarants and shops on the board. Places like oshea's and lynn's paradise cafe are worthy of a spot. Ear-X-Tacy most definitely. And more neighborhood names since it is a city of distinct hoods! Highlands, Old Louisville, Fourth Street, Market Street Gallery Hops, Crescent Hill, Butchertown, Clifton, Portland, etc. Carmichael's Books. I would include Olmstead Parks instead of Jefferson Memorial Forest. The above post has too many derby related things. I agree derby is the boardwalk but there is much more than that to the city. I would say derby and thunder are up there though.

I would say the biggest suburban (in Jefferson County) things are definitely Waverly Hills in the SW, and probably St. Matthews Mall out east. Hurstbourne is also a very significant road, but certainly not of the caliber of the main city roads, especially historically.

Significant city roads include 1) Fourth Street (the traditional heart and soul of the city, although it is a shadow of its former self). 2) Bardstown Road (Baxter avenue is not significant as only a few blocks of it are densely developed. In fact, a major bar strip is actually located on Baxter but the locals still refer to it as "going out on Bardstown.")
3)Frankfort Avenue (the new and refined Bardstown road)
4)Main/Market Street (the heart and soul of the city's riverfront
renaissance, downtown condo construction, planned highrises, and the art gallery and museum districts at each end downtown, conecting the tradional "east end" around Cherokee Park with the traditonal "West End" around Shawnee Park. (An interesting fact I learned is that the terminology "end" arose out of the Olmstead Park system. There were three major parks originally designed by the great landscape architect at the turn of the century: Cherokee, Shawnee, and Iroquois. Each were connected by a parkway that were never meant to have 35 mph speed limits with modern cars. West end referred to Shawnee Park Are. The south end, that was around Iroqois Park. And the east end was actual Cherokee Park! Nowadays the sprawl has spread so far east that "east end" is a misnomer. It can mean Crescent Hill to an old timer but it can mean Lake Forest, Polo Fields, or even Prospect today! Some people even say I live in the "far east end" aka Oldham County)
5)Historically, Muhammad Ali Boulevard aka Walnut Street historically.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:13 AM

594 posts, read 1,040,746 times
stx12499, I think it depends on the audience. My board is geared more toward the tourist or "casual" Louisvillian. While I agree with the importance of spots you mentioned, they would be more appropriate on a board geared toward locals. Heck, you could make a whole board of just local shops and restaurants: Jack Fry's, 610 Magnolia, Cunningham's, Pat's Steakhouse, Le Relais, Vincenzo's, Oak Room, Equus, Lynn's Paradise Cafe, Lilly's, Irish Rover, Gerstle's, Pendennis Club, Ear-X-Tacy, Joe Ley's, Louisville Antique Mall, Glassworks, Heine Brothers, Plehn's, Mike Linnig's, etc. I just think you need to aim for a broader audience if you're marketing a board game. While Lynn's Paradise Cafe is a local legend, I'm not sure anyone outside the immediate local area would know or care about it. My board is a little more generic and cliche than I would like, but I think it has to be.

Regardless, I think the fact that we could fill up two or three Monopoly boards with Louisville spots is a testament to the unique identity of this town.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:40 AM

6,749 posts, read 21,998,865 times
Lynn's has been on Food Network and in Southern Living so it may be known outside but alot of the others wouldn't be.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
stx12499, I think it depends on the audience. My board is geared more toward the tourist or "casual" Louisvillian. While I agree with the importance of spots you mentioned, they would be more appropriate on a board geared toward locals. Heck, you could make a whole board of just local shops and restaurants: Jack Fry's, 610 Magnolia, Cunningham's, Pat's Steakhouse, Le Relais, Vincenzo's, Oak Room, Equus, Lynn's Paradise Cafe, Lilly's, Irish Rover, Gerstle's, Pendennis Club, Ear-X-Tacy, Joe Ley's, Louisville Antique Mall, Glassworks, Heine Brothers, Plehn's, Mike Linnig's, etc. I just think you need to aim for a broader audience if you're marketing a board game. While Lynn's Paradise Cafe is a local legend, I'm not sure anyone outside the immediate local area would know or care about it. My board is a little more generic and cliche than I would like, but I think it has to be.

Regardless, I think the fact that we could fill up two or three Monopoly boards with Louisville spots is a testament to the unique identity of this town.

Hmmm. As Missy said, I think you are a bit mistaken. If anything, I think places like Lynn's and Ear-X-Tacy are as well know in this region than almost anything about the city. Many people on the coasts haven't a clue about the city. When I travel in NYC, many ask if it is the capitol and if it is nice "country living." I tell them I live in a 20 story highrise!

The buttermilk biscuits are mountains of pleasure, her desserts are soul-satisfying. If this be down-home food, then Lynn Winter has made the most of it."
Delta SKY (November 2002)

"One of the 100 best neighborhood restaurants in the United States"
Bon Appetit (September 2002)

"One of the four most fun restaurants in America"
Esquire (June 2002)

Lynn's Paradise Cafe in the News

"Lynn's Paradise Cafe has received extensive local and national media attention, including features on television programs such as the Oprah Winfrey Show, The Folod Network's "Best Of", the Discovery Channel's "Christopher Lowell Show", CBS Evening News' "Travels with Harry" and Food Network's "Throwdown with Bobby Flay".

In addition to print articles in The New York Times, Wall Street Journal and USA TODAY magazine, articles about Lynn's Paradise Café have appeared in popular consumer magazines such as American Style, Bon Appetit, Condé Nast Traveler, Cooking Light, Esquire, Gourmet, House Beautiful, Southern Living, Travel & Leisure, Travel Holiday, and the in-flight publications of Comair, Continental, Delta, and Southwest airlines.

Within the hospitality industry, the Paradise has been featured in Midwest Foodservice News, Meetings & Conventions, Nation's Restaurant News, Restaurant Business, Restaurant Hospitality, Restaurants & Institutions, and Wine & Spirits"

The same holds true for Ear-X-tacy and many other local traditions. So, yes, these are much more important and well known nationally than say, Jefferson Memorial Forest (which is a wonderful treasure that many LOCALS don't even know about!). Furthermore, I would say if you had to include one park, it would be either Waterfront, or historically, Cherokee (or the Olmstead Parkways, designed by the famous man who did Manhattan's Central Park). But anyways, I like your game and agree most your ideas are good, and I am glad you are doing one for Louisville. Incidentally, what is the one for Cincinnati? Chicago? There are several cities I could help you with....

Old 08-20-2008, 03:24 PM

688 posts, read 3,027,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Incidentally, what is the one for Cincinnati? Chicago? There are several cities I could help you with....

We've owned the Chicago one for a couple of years - "Chicago in a Box", and I've seen the Cincinnati one before. I think they've been out for a while.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:10 PM

631 posts, read 1,879,020 times
I know this is a little OT but after talking about Louisville shops does anyone know if Stone Mountain is still open? I think it was on Bardstown Road. I loved that place when I was in high school & early college. We used to take road trips to Louisville specifically to go to Stone Mountain.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
We've owned the Chicago one for a couple of years - "Chicago in a Box", and I've seen the Cincinnati one before. I think they've been out for a while.
Kewllll! Why have I missed these? I assume they are at any toy store or is there a special online place to find them? I am being lazy in my googling today

Old 08-20-2008, 06:14 PM

221 posts, read 748,367 times
I'd go for St. James Court and Iroquois Park making the list.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
I know this is a little OT but after talking about Louisville shops does anyone know if Stone Mountain is still open? I think it was on Bardstown Road. I loved that place when I was in high school & early college. We used to take road trips to Louisville specifically to go to Stone Mountain.
No. Been here four years and never heard a thing about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area