Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:50 AM

19 posts, read 70,769 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This is actually my first post on this forum. My family and I will be moving to Moser Farms subdivision in Oldham County in a few weeks. I'm totally excited!

Back to the topic of the post.. I was wondering which store you prefer for groceries? Kroger, Meijer, or Costco? I'm looking for good deals as well as quality products.

It's nice to find a helpful forum like this for new residents! I'll be posting some other questions in new posts shortly..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 08:23 AM

72 posts, read 228,110 times
NNY,

The Kroger on 22 across from the Summit is pretty nice. That is where I would do most of my grocery shoppping. The Wal-Mart on Shelbyville Road is also very nice, depending on how you commute, you could do some weekly shopping there as well. Most of my family lives in Pewee Valley, and we do some weekly or bi-weekly shopping at the Wal-Mart and also use the Kroger on 146 that is about the same as the one on 22.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:01 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
There is a "neighborhood Walmart" that strictly sells groceries and nothing else. The one I went to was I think on Poplar Level Rd, before you get to GermanTown. It was very clean, well-stocked, and had great prices.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:50 AM

209 posts, read 739,243 times
I wouldn't go to Wal-Mart if you put a gun to my head. I live in St. Matthews and go to Kroger and Whole Foods, but I'm trying to get myself to go more often to ValuMarket, a wonderfully run, locally owned small chain, and to frequent local businesses. If you're from NYC you must be used to schlepping from small shop to small shop for good and real produce, meats, seafood, baked goods. You can do that here. It is indy business heaven. Pose this question on Louisville Hotbytes. The folks there will give good advice.

If you're from Western New York, where we lived for 35 years, you're used to Wegman's. Alas, there is nothing like Wegman's here.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:13 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
We have a locally owned store around here called melton's and also Pic Pac. OUt of the ones listed though I MUCH prefer Kroger's but we don't have a Costco around here.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:24 PM

72 posts, read 228,110 times
Although everyone is entitled to their opinion. Kroger is easily the CLOSEST and pricing there is in line. Costco is very close to your location as well, but it isn't as easy to get in and out of there. If you don't mind driving 20 miles instead of 1.5 miles, you have a lot more options, but it just doesn't make sense in my opinion.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:04 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Why not use all the above? In my experience, the best true grocery in town is GFS on Hurstbourne across the parking lot from Lowes. Great place to buy staples or quantity, but don't look for motor oil, fresh veggies, etc, no laundry detergents either. I like Sam's when I need raw goods in bulk quantity. Costco has fewer really good deals, but the store is clean and close-by. Meijer has the best produce area in town, hands down. They do a good job on deli baked goods as well. The best shopping is actually at the Crestwood Grocery. Excellent prices on good quality meats, always well stocked with dairy, bread, fruits & veggies. Not a place to go for gourmet needs, but as far as everyday, its a great neighborhood store. It's very similar to Dolls (mentioned above).

Old 08-19-2008, 11:27 PM

19 posts, read 70,769 times
Thank you for all the replies! I'm going to have to check out the stores mentioned soon, so far I've only been to Kroger. :-)

Old 08-19-2008, 11:56 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Hands down, join Costco. It is also one of the closest to you. I agree with Tom in that GFS can be nice mainly for bulk items too like bottled water.

In my vehement support of local business, I have a plug for Valumarket. I find them to have the most wonderful produce (compared to the rotten crap at Kroger) and very competitive prices. If you are worried about saving three cents on a Gatorade, stuff the fat cats pockets at Walmart headquarters, however. Also, Valumarket makes a nice effort to carry local stuff: Lotsa Posta noodles, Blue Dog Bread, and a great organic section. The store in the Highlands is wonderful and the store in the south end is located in a very diverse neighborhood with a great asian prodcue section and hot off the press cuban sandwiches! For me, though, the real kicker is you can order online and they will have your order ready for you to pick up! They even DELIVER for a small fee, and have been known to drive long ways for loyal customers. Local companies can do this kind of thing. They have an east end suburban location on Hurstbourne:

Welcome to ValuMarket

The best chain grocery IMO is www.wholefoodsmarket.com

I won't bother you with some of the small grocers I use downtown

Old 08-19-2008, 11:59 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
There is a "neighborhood Walmart" that strictly sells groceries and nothing else. The one I went to was I think on Poplar Level Rd, before you get to GermanTown. It was very clean, well-stocked, and had great prices.
These have polluted the city recently. I believe there are least 5 neighborhood Walmarts now, if not more. And who nows how many super centers are in the city alone. My guess is 15 with another 5 in outlying suburban counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area