Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2015, 03:18 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times

Advertisements

Phoenix Hill Tavern, and Jim Porters Good Time Emporium
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 08:35 PM

9 posts, read 25,445 times
ah had many good times at those places in the 90's when they were still "decent". In the 2000's they became full of trash. Sorry, harsh but true. So many good memories, and not so good memories.....

Old 08-01-2015, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,895 times
Default Yes - Plehns and White Castle memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalind90 View Post
Plehn's Bakery is still one of my favorite donut shops. My parents and I would walk there on Saturday mornings, and tell ourselves we were burning off the calories in the donuts on the walk home.

The old St. Matthews White Castle held great memories, too. One early morning when I was around 10, My mom woke me up to see a meteor shower in Bernheim Forest. We stopped at White Castle for breakfast at 3AM, only to find out breakfast didn't start until 4! It was packed full of people at that hour, too.
The day it closed in 2002, there were lines out the door.
I was in Louisville recently for the first time since 1968 and couldn't believe that Plehns was still there...and just as good as ever!

I grew up eating too many of those 5 cent White Castle burgers too :>)

Old 08-01-2015, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonfield View Post
Ehrler's ice cream, caramel covered marshmallows, Family Fair, A & P, West End, East End, Bowman Field, Starlight Drive In,
Cut N Curl, Dippity Doo, orange juice can rollers, white shoe polish on sneakers, Donaldson's Doughnuts, Mazzoli's fried oysters, Casa Grisanti, Hasenour's, Heitzman's for strawberry whipped cream cake, salt rising bread, cheese or butter kuchen, beer depot afternoon drive, down by River Road, over to Cherokee Park, frog legs at the river, swimming at Turner's, lessons at Whispering Hills, school clothes at Stewart's, Levy's, Bacon's, Department store salad plate with bread pudding and lemon sauce, Weejuns, button down collars with fruit loops, pleated skirts, drag a grocery sack of Halloween candy over the wet grass until it breaks, camel car coat, Green Mountain soda, grilled cheese at Woolworth's, field trip to the Stephen Foster house, planetarium, symphony, Mrs. Stutzenberger for music, Rose Marie for ballet, kickball on asphalt, scraped knees (Bactine not mercurochrome), go cut me a switch, filling station with the restaurant and the polar bear out front, St. Pius Christmas play, bubble lights, ice cream ball with coconut, a candle and plastic holly on top, a dozen eggs to a quart of bourbon, get you a pint of Jamaican rum, divinity with a cherry or pecan, mix some epsom salts and perfume and coloring for a present, grow a rock garden with some bluing and a lump of coal from the railroad track, vegetable soup before payday, party line, noon siren, milk train whistle, beer cheese, benedictine, schmeerkase, party rye, highballs, Falls City beer by the case, Pall Malls by the carton, TV trays, you children are going to drive me to Our Lady of Peace, long distance operator, polio shots, ether, calamine lotion, do NOT put that up your nose, go kiss your cousin and get the measles over with, Friday night Orange Crush, Randy Atcher on the Hayloft Hoedown, Saturday Night Fights, Courier Journal, WHAS, draft lottery, granny gown, find a pattern at Dolfinger's, White Castle on the way home.
Great post! I left Louisville in 1968 and remember many, many of these. Thanks for posting!

Old 08-02-2015, 06:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,942 times
Tigerlillydownunder was the Italian restrant called Palero's? Loved that place. They also had the best pizza. It was round but was cut into smaller squares
I remember the restaurant and ice cream place in Westland mall. I had some friends that had a pillow store for awhile by Meryl Norman.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:27 PM

357 posts, read 37,855 times
Anyone remember the "Majik Markets", one was on Crums Lane in Shively

The "Checker" gas stations, they used to give you a free ink pen

Fountain Ferry Park

Silverman's Dept Store

St. Dennis Bakery

On the Indiana side of the Louisville Metropolitan area: The Garage Club, Greyhound Supermarket, S & H Green Stamp Store in Youngstown Shopping Center.

Woolworths, they had alot of novelties, lots of neat stuff plus they had the old lunch counter

Flaherty's night club

John E's restaurant

The Wigwam Club

Cadillac's night club

Do Drop Inn, what a dive....lol

Old 09-09-2015, 10:43 PM

357 posts, read 37,855 times
Did anyone mention "The Fashion Shop?" There were several of those stores, one in Indiana on the corner of Spring & Pearl in New Albany also Paul Harris stores, The "A.J. Wright" stores haven't been gone that long, but I miss them; they had good deals, especially on purses and shoes. Circuit City and H.H. Gregg, also Home Quarters in Clarksville, IN

Old 09-09-2015, 10:44 PM

14,766 posts, read 8,093,254 times
I remember Majik Market and Woolworths.
My Mom and Dad told me about Fountain Ferry - it must have come along after I was born, or I was so young that I just don't recall it.

Fashion Shop was one of my favorite places to shop - such fantastic deals!

Old 09-17-2015, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,491 times
Question Bardstown Road Deli

Does anyone remember a NY style deli on Bardstown Rd south of Eastern Parkway around the 70's. There may have been two!

Old 09-17-2015, 07:25 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4fxn View Post
Does anyone remember a NY style deli on Bardstown Rd south of Eastern Parkway around the 70's. There may have been two!

Are you thinking of Schneider's Deli~? It was next door to Leatherhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area