Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 07:45 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Your not correct. No one is "trying to place you into an economic bracket". We usually know people from different High Schools because of whatever reason. They may have been your neighbor at one time, your relative, someone you know at Church, whatever. When we connect and you know "that person", you've gained a new friendship.
Hmm, I think I have found it to be both. Either way, it is one of the biggest things I hate about Louisville. That and the rising crime, although it is still safer than 90% of larger metros. And you know I am the biggest fan of the city But the whole "where did you go to HS thing?" SO provincial! Cincinnati does this too. I hated living in Cincinnati after 1.5 years for this reason, and when I lived there, it was pretty dead (it has really gotten nicer with all the development there, much like Louisville)

I lived here once before a few years ago. I have moved frequently in the past, and still travel tons. But I have met several new people in the last year, many long time locals, and not one has asked me where I went to HS. So I think Louisville has "grown up" in the last few years and that's a good thing!

I used to answer "Mundelein" just to be kind of snobby lol, but now I just tell them that I went to HS in Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 05:20 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Hmm, I think I have found it to be both. Either way, it is one of the biggest things I hate about Louisville. That and the rising crime, although it is still safer than 90% of larger metros. And you know I am the biggest fan of the city But the whole "where did you go to HS thing?" SO provincial! Cincinnati does this too. I hated living in Cincinnati after 1.5 years for this reason, and when I lived there, it was pretty dead (it has really gotten nicer with all the development there, much like Louisville)

I lived here once before a few years ago. I have moved frequently in the past, and still travel tons. But I have met several new people in the last year, many long time locals, and not one has asked me where I went to HS. So I think Louisville has "grown up" in the last few years and that's a good thing!

I used to answer "Mundelein" just to be kind of snobby lol, but now I just tell them that I went to HS in Illinois.

I was going to ask, but you posted where your originally from....and a lot of times a question I usually ask when I hear an accent from another state or country. It is perhaps just me who inquire. Louisville has a lot to offer, but again it doesn't. It is not dog friendly at all...or very little. I'd like to see more "named" big entertainment, but we hardly ever get it like other cities. And lastly, people do not know how to drive~!

Old 02-29-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I was going to ask, but you posted where your originally from....and a lot of times a question I usually ask when I hear an accent from another state or country. It is perhaps just me who inquire. Louisville has a lot to offer, but again it doesn't. It is not dog friendly at all...or very little. I'd like to see more "named" big entertainment, but we hardly ever get it like other cities. And lastly, people do not know how to drive~!
I think you are quite wrong like dog friendly and entertainment. Louisville gets just as many big names acts as cities around it, and maybe more since Yum. There are now lots of dog parks and great parks in general to walk your dog.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I think you are quite wrong like dog friendly and entertainment. Louisville gets just as many big names acts as cities around it, and maybe more since Yum. There are now lots of dog parks and great parks in general to walk your dog.

Nope, you misunderstood me once again. Yes, Louisville does have dog parks and parks in general but....there are places you can't take your dog like outdoor music events (some, but not many), the malls and restaurants for example. There are cities in other states that allow dog everywhere. Yes, they allow them at restaurants inside if your ordering and have seating outside with a doggie bowl outside for them or even a dog menu at some restaurants. And in other cities if you have your dog in some sort of carrier they allow the dog inside the mall, but not in Louisville. Also, most outdoor events they allow dogs in other cities but not Louisville.

As far as entertainment, I was not referring to the Yum Center but the Kentucky Center, Louisville Palace and the Brown Theater. We get top acts from time to time but not often enough. I saw Liza Minnelli years back at the Kentucky Center but not really anyone else of importance there since that I can recall. I've seen Robin Williams at the Palace many years ago (I think it was there), but not often we get top acts like the major cities get frequently.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Nope, you misunderstood me once again. Yes, Louisville does have dog parks and parks in general but....there are places you can't take your dog like outdoor music events (some, but not many), the malls and restaurants for example. There are cities in other states that allow dog everywhere. Yes, they allow them at restaurants inside if your ordering and have seating outside with a doggie bowl outside for them or even a dog menu at some restaurants. And in other cities if you have your dog in some sort of carrier they allow the dog inside the mall, but not in Louisville. Also, most outdoor events they allow dogs in other cities but not Louisville.

As far as entertainment, I was not referring to the Yum Center but the Kentucky Center, Louisville Palace and the Brown Theater. We get top acts from time to time but not often enough. I saw Liza Minnelli years back at the Kentucky Center but not really anyone else of importance there since that I can recall. I've seen Robin Williams at the Palace many years ago (I think it was there), but not often we get top acts like the major cities get frequently.

I also disagree there. KY center gets all the major Broadway acts that any city around here gets. Actors and the Humana festival is nationally known. The palace brown, mercury ballroom, and several small theaters are all booked up almost every weekend. Gosh, do many cities this size even have that many theaters? The arts are awfully big in Louisville. I read somewhere it is only one of 10 or so cities with all 5 major performing arts.

Louisville is one of only 10 U.S. cities that has all five major performing arts groups

https://louisvilleky.gov/sites/defau...ng_booklet.pdf
Hate to quote chamber of commerce stuff, but your posts regarding the arts here are kind of inaccurate. My guess is there are small theaters or events that occur that you are not aware of.

Then there is the gallery scene. How many cities of this size have two well attending art gallery hops a month? How many have revamped art museums offering free admission on Sundays and weekend wine and art events? How many cities under 2 million even have a place like Mellwood Arts Center?

The only underutilized theatre is probably the Brown.

With regards to dogs, I see them everywhere in restaurants, especially nulu, against the grain, bardstown rd, and parts of st matthews.

There is even at least one wine bar dedicated to dogs and wine:

Vines & Canines: A New Way to Sip Wine in the Highlands

So, I do not have a dog and am not an expert on this, but for example, I cannot think of many cities in the southeast or lower midwest that "blow Louisville out" in terms of dog friendliness? I am not saying Louisville is a dog friendly mecca, but its not bad for canines either.
If so, please enlighten me.

Louisville's major malls are owned by GGP, a major company out of Chicago, and the second largest mall operator outside Simon. I highly doubt they do not allow dogs in Louisville but allow them in other cities. I have never seen dogs in Simon malls Indy, or Orlando, or anywhere else I have lived. Am I missing something?

Last edited by Peter1948; 02-29-2016 at 07:16 PM..

Old 02-29-2016, 10:57 PM

I am not denying that...but that has NOTHING to do with Louisville. Those malls are owned by large national corporations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Growth_Properties

I do not even know who owns Paddock Shops now, but it is a national, large firm. It is very rare for these policies to vary city to city. So again, I ask you, where can one roam with a dog in a (indoor) mall? I have been all over and it is pretty much unheard of. This is not a louisville thing.

Pet Friendly Shopping Malls | Dog Friendly Shopping Centers | Pet Friendly Travel

Very few of them, and most are in California. And guess what? Almost all of them are outdoor malls.

I have seen dogs at the outlet shops in Simpsonville. I recommend you try there. It is one of the nicer malls anyways.

A lot of the "malls" listed above I have been to and probably never seen a dog. Alot of them are not malls at all? Hyde Park Village in Tampa? Its like a less cool version of Bardstown Rd. City Place in WPB? Even worse...like a knock off a city in a city. Again, I am not trying to deride your opinions, but your posts go along with Louisville's worst problem: itself! lol

Last edited by Peter1948; 03-06-2016 at 10:00 PM..

Old 03-04-2016, 08:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,259 times
Does any one remember a small restaurant, we think it was in an old house,that served beer in small fish bowls. It had stained glass windows with a diamond pattern in them. My Aunt and Grandparents went there in the early 1980s but it had been around for decades at that time. She says her parents would go there for hot browns. It was a small place, not particularly fancy. She thinks it was either in the West or Southend, maybe Iroquois area. Thanks in advance!!

Old 03-07-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsarskoe View Post
Does any one remember a small restaurant, we think it was in an old house,that served beer in small fish bowls. It had stained glass windows with a diamond pattern in them. My Aunt and Grandparents went there in the early 1980s but it had been around for decades at that time. She says her parents would go there for hot browns. It was a small place, not particularly fancy. She thinks it was either in the West or Southend, maybe Iroquois area. Thanks in advance!!

Kunz's comes to mind, but I doubt that is it. I was thinking of their glass windows. This was on 4th Street when it was Rivercity Mall. They have closed many, many years ago.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,266 times
What was the hip clothing store in the Middletown shopping center with Biggs?

Old 06-01-2016, 06:41 AM

242 posts, read 402,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyGolden View Post
What was the hip clothing store in the Middletown shopping center with Biggs?
It was Burlington Coat Factory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area