Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:59 PM

102 posts, read 323,919 times

Advertisements

I just pray that they don't make the new arena too "UofL themed" so we will have a fighting chance at a pro team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 09:11 AM

30 posts, read 118,551 times
I'm currently stationed in Louisville Metro and don't like it one teeny bit. Ok, :::: running now !!! lol ::::

Old 09-22-2008, 03:56 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
The neglect of the SW part of the county, which does have quite a bit of money and potential, will really hurt the future growth prospects of the city. It kind of irritates me when people first suggest areas east of 65 to new comers. While these places are the paradigm of the healthy and the wealthy, the southern and southwestern areas of Louisville are gorgeous and have beautiful subdivisions, smart people, and great potential.
Amen sistah!

Old 09-23-2008, 01:47 PM

257 posts, read 881,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Amen sistah!
i'm a brotha, not a sistah! ;-)

Old 09-25-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
i'm a brotha, not a sistah! ;-)
OOOOOOOOPs! Sorry hun!

Old 09-27-2008, 08:23 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Well, I know the OP didn't ask for plurals, but...

Pros:
1. Teeming with history. A vast expanse of historic areas that are well preserved such as Old Louisville, Downtown, Portland, Highlands, Crescent Hill, and parts of Butchertown.
2. Parks. Second-to-none Olmstead Park system including Cherokee, Seneca, and Iroquois Parks, as well as an interconnecting parkway system.
3. Downtown. Slow to take off, but in 15 years this place may well be every bit as happenin' as Downtown Nashville. A lot of new residential and entertainment developments downtown.
4. Highlands. Self-explanatory once you see it.
5. Traffic/drivers: Louisvillians don't know what bad traffic is by standards of NYC/N. NJ, LA, Chicago, or Atlanta. The drivers at least wave when you let them out in front of you, which is not common where I live in rural Kentucky.
6. Airport. SDF has some good deals on flights.

Cons:
1. People. I met many good people when I lived in L'ville. Then I also met quite a few provincial folks who could not think outside of the "Jefferson County" box. Then I also met quite a few, even in churches, that were snippy, neurotic, and often just outright rude. I would not rank L'ville as a true Southern city when considering politeness and friendliness. I found more Southern hospitality and manners in Chicago (yep, you heard me) in three days in May than I do in Louisville in a week.
2. Aerial view. Louisville is a rather ugly city to fly into. You don't even see it's beauty until you start to radiate away from the airport on the highway system.
3. Taxes and reformulated gas. Why do I lump this into one category? They significantly impact the cost of living. Yes, L'ville has dirt cheap property taxes and values. But, considering all of the other local and state income taxes to be paid, Kentucky is already the 13th most taxed state per capita (on par with California.) Throw in the additional 25-30 cents per gallon during the summer for ref. gas in Jefferson County and you're just as well off living in Atlanta or Houston for COL.
4. Crime. Louisville's overall crime rate is low, yes. That's considering the whole "city" of Louisville, which is all of Jefferson Co. If you just look at the "old city," now the urban service area," that's what I consider the real city. Going by that, Louisville in reality has a murder rate higher than Cincinnati, Chicago and Atlanta (yes, you heard me!)

Old 10-20-2008, 07:16 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,160,291 times
Quote:
I agree with the upscale shopping and the new venues. Critics argue that the money could be well spent elsewhere, however, I believe new and exciting venues engender an exciting feel in the city. It's not just that fact that you're spending money on something that could be spent elsewhere. It's all about increasing the atmosphere of your city, which increases your quality of life.
Having new and exciting venues is a part of having a good quality of life; it's not just low housing costs, low taxes, etc. There needs to be a good mix and entertainment should be a priority as well. You can't just FIX everything and then increase entertainment. Sorry if that was a rant.

I'd like to see improvements to better and affordable housing downtown. I'd love to live downtown someday, but I'm afraid I won't be making enough money after college to do that. Could be wrong though.
I think that interstate system is an asset to the region (minus the bridge situation!). You can pretty much navigate around anywhere pretty quickly.
I believe a BAD thing the city has going for it is the unequal distribution of growth. The neglect of the SW part of the county, which does have quite a bit of money and potential, will really hurt the future growth prospects of the city. It kind of irritates me when people first suggest areas east of 65 to new comers. While these places are the paradigm of the healthy and the wealthy, the southern and southwestern areas of Louisville are gorgeous and have beautiful subdivisions, smart people, and great potential.
Absolutely! I couldn't agree with you more. I do agree that there need to be more high end retail options, but there is still plenty of good shopping. Of course, my point of view is a bit skewed, as I live in one of the most remote parts of Western Australia, so if I want to by even the most basic item of clothing I have to drive a minimum of 6 hours, and even then the choices are rather limited. But that's neither here nor there. 2 vastly different places!

I will admit that Eastern Jefferson County is a beautiful area with immaculate homes and estates, but the southwest section has some equally beautiful neighborhoods, and some of the best, most genuine people you could ever hope to meet. I grew up in PRP and lived there for 30 years (then I met and married my Aussie hunk!), and while my last trip home resulted in a bit of dismay by how it appeared to be more rundown than what I remembered, it is still a great place to live and raise a family. It is a very under-rated area, and I think it's a disgrace that more (money and effort alike) isn't put into the area to make it more appealing for families relocating to the Louisville Metro area. East End is not necessarily better. But everyone is different, so what do you do? You can't make someone like something if they just don't!

The South/Southwest end might be considered working class, but since when is that really a bad thing? All you have to do is watch the Crusade for Children, to see that there are some big hearts in the area. And with the exception of the year that an Eastern county fire department had an insurance policy to cover one of their outdoor fund raisers against inclement weather, you'll find that the south end consistantly "beats" other areas in terms of donations (it's not meant to be competitive--but we all know it is! ). We might be "poorer" than our East End counter parts, we always dig deep for the kids! I'm proud to say that I have done my time with boot in hand collecting money from all walks of life!

If I'm ever to return to reside in the great USA, I will be returning to my little hometown, and little southend area--unless my family all decide to relocate and then of course I will go to where they are (family first!).

But I will forever and always will remain a Class of '90 PRP Panther!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
Absolutely! I couldn't agree with you more. I do agree that there need to be more high end retail options, but there is still plenty of good shopping. Of course, my point of view is a bit skewed, as I live in one of the most remote parts of Western Australia, so if I want to by even the most basic item of clothing I have to drive a minimum of 6 hours, and even then the choices are rather limited. But that's neither here nor there. 2 vastly different places!

I will admit that Eastern Jefferson County is a beautiful area with immaculate homes and estates, but the southwest section has some equally beautiful neighborhoods, and some of the best, most genuine people you could ever hope to meet. I grew up in PRP and lived there for 30 years (then I met and married my Aussie hunk!), and while my last trip home resulted in a bit of dismay by how it appeared to be more rundown than what I remembered, it is still a great place to live and raise a family. It is a very under-rated area, and I think it's a disgrace that more (money and effort alike) isn't put into the area to make it more appealing for families relocating to the Louisville Metro area. East End is not necessarily better. But everyone is different, so what do you do? You can't make someone like something if they just don't!

The South/Southwest end might be considered working class, but since when is that really a bad thing? All you have to do is watch the Crusade for Children, to see that there are some big hearts in the area. And with the exception of the year that an Eastern county fire department had an insurance policy to cover one of their outdoor fund raisers against inclement weather, you'll find that the south end consistantly "beats" other areas in terms of donations (it's not meant to be competitive--but we all know it is! ). We might be "poorer" than our East End counter parts, we always dig deep for the kids! I'm proud to say that I have done my time with boot in hand collecting money from all walks of life!

If I'm ever to return to reside in the great USA, I will be returning to my little hometown, and little southend area--unless my family all decide to relocate and then of course I will go to where they are (family first!).

But I will forever and always will remain a Class of '90 PRP Panther!

Wonderful post!!!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Why do people think IKEA is upscale? They sell some cheap a$$ cr*p furnature. I just never understood the IKEA fascination.

Wow.... well first of all almost ALL of the furniture stores in Louisville sell scary old outdated victorian crap while IKEA sells fresh updated modern, contemporary stuff.

Louisville furniture is so old looking I feel like running away as soon as I enter the store. The only store that I found a little bit of contemporary style is I believe it's called contemporarydesigns store on Hurstbourne which I am surprised they don't charge you to get in the store is absurd. The prices are out of this world and the furniture is really not that good for them to put those prices.

Anywhooo....hope this explains to you why a lot of people would love to have IKEA in Louisville. The same old fashioned vampire castle looking s**** furniture you get here in Louisville for the same price you could really get some cool hip looking, contemporary furniture at IKEA.

That's why!

Old 07-21-2010, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,564 times
Pros:

- plenty of music happening/nice places for bands to play
- Bardstown Rd. & Frankfort Ave. are fun
- Eastern Parkway looks great
- spring and fall can be beautiful/relatively mild winters
- pretty parks
- clean water from the tap
- great restaurants
- manageable traffic
- easy to get in and out of airport (and out of town in general)
- some real nice people
- great Bourbon
- Wild & Woolly Video

Cons:

- a lot of winding crumbling roads, bad ramps & tricky merges
- bad air quality, especially in summer - terrible pollution
- no art house movie theater
- no Trader Joe's
- Dixie Highway needs a serious makeover
- not enough quiet, green places by the river for a little time alone
- lots of loud roaring bass booming cars, motorbikes and trucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area