U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 11:47 PM

69 posts, read 326,513 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out why some people think of Louisville as some sort of farm town or a place with nothing to do. On a few occasions I have told some friends about the fun I've had in Louisville and they look at me all crazy and surprised. There are a lot of people who don't realize how urban Louisville is and that Louisville is a "real city." I'm not from Louisville and never lived there but I just feel like people need to get out and travel more. There are people who don't even know what states certain cities are in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 07:48 AM

1,367 posts, read 3,111,574 times
Iraqvet, you couldn't be more correct. Before my wife and I decided to explore succesful cities to our south to relocate to, I must admit I did not realize just how big Louisville indeed was and how much it had to offer. While I did know it was the state's biggest city, I was ignorant to the incredible amount of things it had to offer and the immense diversity of it all.

Now that we're beginning to tell people we are considering moving to Louisville, we are getting those "looks" you alluded to, and we are in West MI, only 6.5 hours away. My own cousin, who has lived in several cities around the country, acted as if Louisville was some isolated small city. Maybe it's because there's no major pro sports team, or the crime scene isn't bad or maybe people are too ignorant to grasp that something so good could be in a state most tend to look at as Green Acres come to life. It's frustrating to me, and I don't even live there!

But there is a good side to this low profile existance: it can remain a hidden jewel to those who live and visit there. Long live The Ville!

Old 09-18-2008, 08:10 AM

87 posts, read 252,156 times
speaking as an outsider, i would guess it is because of at least two of the reasons TNKY suggests.

1. It is located in Kentucky. Most people have an altogether inaccurate picture of kentucky in their heads.

2. No major sports teams. This is what gains many larger cities notoriety, especially in the eyes of many middle aged men, and children.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:19 AM

5,387 posts, read 11,451,033 times
I think ignorance prevails. When I tell people I'm taking a trip to KY, their response is "WHY?" This isn't specific to KY. I remember telling my sister I missed Texas and was considering a move back. Her answer "Does everyone really have dirt floors there? Do people have cars?" I mean, this is Miss "educated, enlightened, Seattle woman." Right.

I love that people raise their eyebrows when you mention KY, TN, TX, or anything else they've assigned a stereotype to. I expereince a place before making any sort of judgement call. I've lived in Alaska, and no, people don't ususally live in igloos and yes, they have summer.

Just play along with them. Tell them you "caint wait" to live somewhere where you can eat possum and sleep with your sister, without the neighbors getting all up in your business. Okay....just kidding, but you get the drift.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:52 AM

11,144 posts, read 23,094,302 times
For one thing Louisville's hasn't risen until recently. Consider...

- Louisville's now very nice zoo was just a small regional zoo with no major attractions 20 years ago
- Bardstown Road and Frankfort Ave had no similance of Bohemian culture or 4 star dining until the mid 1990s
- 4th Street Live was a 90% abandoned dump until 2004
- Waterfront Park used to be a series of abandoned factories
- Louisville Slugger Museum & Childrens Museum didn't open until the 1980s
- The Louisville Skyline pre 1991 was comparible to Dayton or Toledo

Old 09-18-2008, 01:48 PM

3,228 posts, read 3,582,436 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Just play along with them. Tell them you "caint wait" to live somewhere where you can eat possum and sleep with your sister, without the neighbors getting all up in your business. Okay....just kidding, but you get the drift.
Or call it, as my father (a native) did: "Ole Caintuck".

Old 09-21-2008, 05:32 PM

30 posts, read 111,897 times
Having lived here for some odd years now, I can see where alot of the backwoods perceptions came from. Now, it's not all bad. But there's a certain element in KY that's errrrr, unique to this area ( metro including Southern IN ) save for parts of VA,TN,AR and similiar states. Many people have never left here and don't understand what I mean. That's okay. They're happy. Not my thing. But they're happy. And that thar's wut counts lol. They certainly need to get over their tabacco and factory industries and bring in a 21st century market to catch up. Make a huge difference! As in jobs and forced education to get that job.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:35 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,173,733 times
Quote:
Bardstown Road and Frankfort Ave had no similance of Bohemian culture or 4 star dining until the mid 1990s
Either you are a young adult or havn't lived in Louisville very long.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:47 AM

153 posts, read 508,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
Either you are a young adult or havn't lived in Louisville very long.
yah, I kinda remember many great and dumpy bars with live music throughout the 80's. We had absolutely a great alternative scene and I'm glad to have been a round during it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area