U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2008, 04:41 PM

8 posts, read 23,619 times

Advertisements

Good afternooon all! I'm new to this site but thought i'd give it a try. My husband & I currently live in Minneapolis, Minnesota. My husband is in the military & just received orders to go to Fort Knox by Oct. 1. I'm freaking out here because I know nothing about Kentucky Or Ft. Knox. Can someone tell me the best areas to live in that are less than 30 mins away from Ft. Knox? Someone had mentioned Elizabethtown. We're looking to rent a house or apt. in a safe & clean area. We don't have kids yet but we do have pets that we love dearly & cannot depart with. I f you can educate me a little bit about this area or even know of any properties that are available to rent, we'd really appreciate it. Thank you much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 05:30 PM

25,854 posts, read 37,988,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNashWade View Post
Good afternooon all! I'm new to this site but thought i'd give it a try. My husband & I currently live in Minneapolis, Minnesota. My husband is in the military & just received orders to go to Fort Knox by Oct. 1. I'm freaking out here because I know nothing about Kentucky Or Ft. Knox. Can someone tell me the best areas to live in that are less than 30 mins away from Ft. Knox? Someone had mentioned Elizabethtown. We're looking to rent a house or apt. in a safe & clean area. We don't have kids yet but we do have pets that we love dearly & cannot depart with. I f you can educate me a little bit about this area or even know of any properties that are available to rent, we'd really appreciate it. Thank you much!
I'm currently in Elizabethtown right now visiting. It looks like a great place that is close to Knox. I'll report on Louisville when i get back to VA on sun.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:26 PM

7 posts, read 19,352 times
We are moving to Elizabethtown from Maine and are in the same boat. We have dogs and are trying to find places to rent...I'll be interested to see what gets posted.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:22 PM

8 posts, read 23,619 times
Smile Check this out

Thanks guys. I took the advice from another thread I read that said to bypass all the apartment sites & check out the local newspapers. www.newsenterpriseonline.com. I've found that this has yielded more prospects of locations, especially if you do own pets & have certain anemities. Some areas besides Elizabethtown & Radcliff that are a short commute to Ft. Knox are Vine Grove, Valley Station, Pleasure Ridge Park, & Okolona. Don't quote me on that, I've just been reading other posts and also using this as a better guide on Craig's List. www.craigslist.com. You can only do a Louisville search I believe but it does break the properties down by location. We'll probably end up in Elizabethtown though. I'll update as I find out things. Good luck & keep in touch!

Old 09-19-2008, 07:17 PM

5,524 posts, read 6,194,274 times
Default moving near Ft Knox

I used to work on Ft Knox and there are a couple of options and yes, it's difficult if you're not familiar with the area.

You can't live due East of Ft Knox. Knox is a 100,000+ acre installation and most of the Ft Knox land is East.

West there are rural areas that are real close to Ft Knox. Bad part is that there are still not a lot of stores nearby and for some, that is a deal breaker. I lived about 12 miles West of Ft Knox (off of Hwy 60) and it was 9 miles to the nearest grocery store, 4 miles to the nearest gas station, etc. Enjoyed it and you adjust to not being able to quickly run out to the store. Exception may be Brandenburg (small town). Most places west of Ft Knox will take close you close to 45 minutes to get into Louisville.

South - Elizabethtown. Great city that is growing quicker than you're average small city in America. All the ammenties that you normally want in a smaller city except that you are traveling farther away from Louisville when you depart Ft Knox. Some like being farther away from Louisville (consider it an hour away from Louisville). The city was recently a 'dry' city which greatly affected national name restaurants from moving in but that has largely been resolved as more and more national chains move in as well as some bigger name hotels.

North is Louisville. Longer drive for hubby each day to work (minimum 30 minutes if you live on the SW side of Louisville). However, it's a 300,000 person city with more ammenities that you'd expect in a large city. Louisville is the largest city in Kentucky and combined with southern Indiana, it's a good size city that will provide most people with enough events and activities. Best thing about Louisville compared to the twin cities is that larger cities are just a short drive away (Indy and Cinnci, even Nashville).

Old 09-21-2008, 11:25 AM

153 posts, read 510,784 times
I'd look into Audubon Park and make the 30min. drive every day if I was in any of your shoes. This way, you can enjoy Lville and not be too far from Ft. Knox.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:04 PM

25,854 posts, read 37,988,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djthompson View Post
We are moving to Elizabethtown from Maine and are in the same boat. We have dogs and are trying to find places to rent...I'll be interested to see what gets posted.
If you want my observations

//www.city-data.com/forum/louis...ml#post5363020
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area