Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 12:06 PM

123 posts, read 391,341 times

Advertisements

I have an interview on November third. It would be ideal to rent a pied a terre for a month to three months. Anybody have any suggestions as to where I could begin to look for someone who might handle these kinds of properties?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 04:01 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,023 times
You will likely find one of the extended stay hotels as cheap as anything you will be finding as most landlords will want at least 3 months plus they will keep your deposit.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:49 PM

Thank you.

Why will they keep my deposit? I mean . . .that's something you know up front, right?

Old 10-21-2008, 05:58 AM

153 posts, read 538,057 times
Louisville has avoided the scourge of National Homebuilders who left millions of vinyl shacks in other communities. We do not have a large supply of empty homes or apartments. Vacancies on the east side and inside the 264 expressway are at an all time low. Nice apartment stock has been converted into condos in the past five years leaving such strong competition that property owners can demand year leases. I wouldn't offer 3 months and I wouldn't keep your deposit. Tom is right, though, and you should move towards extended stay hotels on Hurstbourne Parkway.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:35 AM

There's a housing shortage in Louisville? Yikes, maybe I better take my nursing license to a different state. Thanks for all the help.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:52 AM

153 posts, read 538,057 times
There is plenty of newer housing on the fringes; i'm specifically talking about inside the main city limits. That is why I'd recommend an extended stay. I don't know the suburbs well enough to make a recommedation. Also, the sheer built up density and shortage of rentals should be construed as a great thing because of the energy that it creates.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:17 AM

Ahh, I see. That's different then.
I can't say I agree that density and shortages create energy . . . positive energy, that is. The burbs are fine by me. I've been quaint, creative, colorful, surprising, quirky and it's not all that.
Thanks, as always, for taking time to respond. It helps.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:17 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Lightbulb Short term Apartment rentals

Every large city, such as Louisville has what is called 'corporate housing'. Considered short term (month to month, usually under a year) and are usually fully furnished with some even including local phone, washer/ dryers, and utilities. Extended stay are very expensive when you consider other existing options. Most hotels, even the extended stays run at least $60 a night and that would run $2000/month with taxes.

You may want to check out this list of corporate housing in Louisville. Some of the locations are in the downtown area. Louisville Corporate Apartments - Temporary Furnished Apartments in Louisville by Oakwood

There is a need in larger cities to have corporate housing. Theatric industry, nursing industry, litigation, etc all have requirements for short term, furnished apartments.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:43 PM

13 posts, read 61,729 times
Check out ValueInn (there is another one here that is very cheap as well same price I believe) it goes for 179 a week. Not bad considering all the utilities. They have sprung up all over the place.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:24 AM

Hey, thanks for all the tips on short-term options. I'll check out your link johnsonkk. As for the Value Place ---- YIKES. I spent 13 weeks in one and thought I'd die of misery. But, you're right, travelingguy --- you can't beat $179/week. I saved up a lot of cash on that assignment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area