Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 03:24 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,682 times

Advertisements

im not saying its a slum, but there are dicey areas, more so then in the eastern part, that you should look out for, and you cannot deny that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 04:44 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
im not saying its a slum, but there are dicey areas, more so then in the eastern part, that you should look out for, and you cannot deny that.
Maybe so but that is not a reason to pass up an area entirely. I also know plenty of people who live in the east end who have had break ins and such just like everywhere else. Wasn't there a meth lab found in prospect? Point is there is bad every where and you can't discount an entire area based on a few "bad apples".

Old 11-10-2008, 06:06 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,682 times
i totally agree with you. i never said people should pass up that area, you just need to be aware of the area you are looking for houses/apartments in.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:01 AM

6 posts, read 25,735 times
I lived near Palatka and Saint Andrews Church Road in an apartment complex from 1999 through September 2008 and sadly saw it go downhill, especially in the last two years or so. They seemed to be letting in everything including drug dealers and certain types who cram 5 people in a one bedroom apartment. I saw 3 cockroaches in the 9 years I lived there and in August I had them literally coming in my front door do to the horrible conditions in the apartment next to me. That made my mind up. My lease expired on September 30 and I moved to a better community. Certain areas are certainly going downhill but there are many nice places to live, you just have to do some research and be very selective.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:52 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,160,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by storrs19 View Post
I lived near Palatka and Saint Andrews Church Road in an apartment complex from 1999 through September 2008 and sadly saw it go downhill, especially in the last two years or so. They seemed to be letting in everything including drug dealers and certain types who cram 5 people in a one bedroom apartment. I saw 3 cockroaches in the 9 years I lived there and in August I had them literally coming in my front door do to the horrible conditions in the apartment next to me. That made my mind up. My lease expired on September 30 and I moved to a better community. Certain areas are certainly going downhill but there are many nice places to live, you just have to do some research and be very selective.
I lived in the 1st townhouse complex built on Stone Street Road, near the JCC campus back in 96/97. When I moved in it was very nice (considered luxury townhomes)--lots of families with kids. Within 6 months, I had new neighbors on both sides. On the left was a so called "family" of obvious junkies that I'm still convinced were dealing out of the home, and on the right I had a girl who claimed to be an nail tech and exotic dancer, but she seemed to have an awful lot of men coming and going at all hours. She never seemed to leave the house for any length of time that would be in line with any kind of regular job, so I can only assume she was working from the home as well. I moved when the lease was up.

then I dubiously moved with my sister to another townhome complex over in the Manslick area (near where Champs Rollerdrome used to be) and it turned out to be great. No trouble at all, and the Projects really weren't all that far away.

So I'd advise potential renters to check it out before moving; I'd advise that of ANY location. 'Never judge a book by it's cover' is a good policy to have!

Old 11-29-2008, 05:55 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,904 times
^
I know that area, very close to where my parents live.

I think these are those one-story patio homes up on the hill that you are talking about? I thought those were pretty nice.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:42 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Okolona and surrounding environs, including parts of Fairdale, Highview, and the Indian Trail area, have gone considerably downhill in the last ten years. These areas are not nearly as high crime as the west end, and they're certainly NO westside Atlanta, East New York/Brownsville (NYC), Compton, or Garfield Park (Chicago).

When you allow low-income people with high reproduction rates and Section 8, things can happen. Most low-income people are good and hard-working, and not poor (as that is a mindset.) However, most poor and/or non-law-abiding citizens just happen to be low-income. So, typically, the lower income a neighborhood is overall, the more that social problems and "attitude" are likely to sprout and sometimes go awry. While good blocks and neighborhoods still exist aplenty on Louisville's south side, you have to visit each of these areas and use discretion and common sense in deciding a place to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: