Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:53 PM

200 posts, read 915,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauben2007 View Post
[Quote:] Again, not every city can impress every person
True, my wife and I lived there for 2 years, while I didn't like Louisville at all, she despised it with every cell in her body. I can also count on one hand the number of people we met there during the 2 years that we'd call friendly. YMMV.

-Steve[/quote]

I am moving from to Louisville from the Northeast (husband's job transfer). I feel COMPLETELY as your wife did. I am glad to hear I'm not the only one! Through the years, I've lived in many cities (and 2 other countries), I think that Louisville is probaly a great city if you have lived in or around it for much of your life & have family and friends there. If you are moving from another major city, you may have some adjustment issues, though...

Every city has it's pro's & cons..I will say on the pro's...I have met very friendly people thus far. There does seem to be a rather small, but thriving arts community... the downtown is cute...

However, if you look at scorecard.com, you will find that Jefferson county is one of the most polluted counties in the country and the air quality is very poor. The prevailing theme seems to be 'the cost of living is low' here... well, when 'cost of living' is low, you can expect people to sometimes compromise to bring industry & jobs to a community, and the price is paid in factory emissions and cancer causing pollutants. Community resources, hospitals, educational rankings are not on par with other major cities, and their respective suburbs. Many of the 'neighborhoods' are in the form of sub-divisions, and are thrown up without a lot of architectual interest (of course, if you are looking at a historical home/ an older Victorian this is a non-issue).

As for shopping, I should preface by saying, I am a major sale/bargain/outlet shopper. Having said that, there are no Crate & Barrel, Restoration Hardware, Neiman Marcus, Anthropologie, Nordstrom, Saks, Barneys, etc. the lack of any high-end shops, means there are no 'Premium Outlets' anywhere nearby...no great sales to hit up. The shopping in Louisville is pretty bad.

Anyway, to each their own...I don't disparage anyone who loves Louisville...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 07:44 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,469,775 times
one thing i dont get

how can people say Louisville is extremely religious when they have so many nudie clubs?

Old 09-19-2007, 09:29 AM

I think a lot of people who wear their religion on their sleeves, do so because behind closed doors they are doing all sorts of scandalous things. I don't think it's something you need to flaunt. The world has many religions. I feel like in Louisville, people for some odd reason feel the need to broadcast which 'team they play for.' A lot of people who claim religion, still engage in hypocritical behavior. What confuses me is, why does it seem that so many people in Louisville include the church that they go to as part of their 'professional' bio's. In all the places I've lived, I've never seen this before.

I am in the process of looking for a pediatrician for my daughter, and I am reading bio's that include 'Dr. So-and-So his wife, and two daughters attend The Church of Such-and-Such'. I almost feel like people add it like a banner, as if to say 'see, I go to church...you can trust me...I'm good...I'm Christian' I just don't see the need for such information in a professional bio...it's not an acheivement...

Old 09-20-2007, 01:04 PM

5,478 posts, read 12,256,990 times
I've seen alot of the Church and Christain affiliation with business bios and so forth living in Texas. I guess it's along the same lines of advertising that a business is "Christian owned and operated." I don't see the difference, as there are quite a few Christians that conduct themselves less than so. I also don't think one need advertise their religion. Actions speak louder for your heart than any buzz words.

My greater concern is how are other religions treated, or should I say "tolerated?" Would a Jewish person have a problem? Would people approach him and ask what church he was affiliated with and if he replied he was not or that he was Jewish, then see him as their personal "mission" to "convert?" How would a Muslim be treated or a Buddist (sp?). Would they also have to dodge the "conversion" bullet or is it a more live-and-let-live environment?

Cobolt

Old 09-20-2007, 02:52 PM

7,071 posts, read 16,766,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I've seen alot of the Church and Christain affiliation with business bios and so forth living in Texas. I guess it's along the same lines of advertising that a business is "Christian owned and operated." I don't see the difference, as there are quite a few Christians that conduct themselves less than so. I also don't think one need advertise their religion. Actions speak louder for your heart than any buzz words.

My greater concern is how are other religions treated, or should I say "tolerated?" Would a Jewish person have a problem? Would people approach him and ask what church he was affiliated with and if he replied he was not or that he was Jewish, then see him as their personal "mission" to "convert?" How would a Muslim be treated or a Buddist (sp?). Would they also have to dodge the "conversion" bullet or is it a more live-and-let-live environment?

Cobolt

Louisville is a large city with many differnet religions and lots of atheists too. Its ok to be any thing here. There is a substantial but smallish Jewish community of well over 10,000 in the city, and there are at least a half dozen synagogues. every religion is represented in the city and many people aren't religious at all. Welcome to Louisville...possibility city hahah (I am kind of making fun of the new slogan )

Old 09-20-2007, 03:21 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,099,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Louisville is a large city with many differnet religions and lots of atheists too. Its ok to be any thing here. There is a substantial but smallish Jewish community of well over 10,000 in the city, and there are at least a half dozen synagogues. every religion is represented in the city and many people aren't religious at all. Welcome to Louisville...possibility city hahah (I am kind of making fun of the new slogan )
I am not sure of what to think of the new commercials.... especially the Ohio one where the guy wants a girl with a tattoo on her butt

Old 09-20-2007, 06:17 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,469,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I am not sure of what to think of the new commercials.... especially the Ohio one where the guy wants a girl with a tattoo on her butt
what guy doesnt?

Old 09-21-2007, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
what guy doesnt?
Hmmmm, I dunno lol

Old 09-21-2007, 12:38 PM

Well, the problem I am having (aside from the lack of good shopping, but I digress...) is finding good pre-schools. I have looked pretty extensively at pre-schools. I do not want a religious pre-school; as my kids are moving from a diverse pre-school where they had jewish, and muslim class-mates, and people from all over the world... I have literally only found a handful of 'non-religious' pre-schools in Louisville (and the surrounding areas), and once you exclude those with already full enrollment, you're pretty much out of luck. I think pre-school is an important pre-cursor to kindergarten; but I am really stumped as to what options there are here...

Old 09-22-2007, 06:25 AM

There are some daycares that offer pre-school, have you looked into them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area