U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:26 PM

16 posts, read 52,022 times

Advertisements

I have been reading alot of these threads. Good info but sometimes scary. I am looking at a job offer in Louisville. My concerns/questions? Is there a reason for the abudance of catholic schools? i.e. Large Hispanic population, poor public school system. Also I am in a mixed marriage, should I be concerned, what areas should I avoid. I see KY has a very active KKK group.
Any neighborhoods to recomend? I want to buy a newer built house.
Thanks for any info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 05:36 AM

190 posts, read 781,584 times
G' Morning Ruby1~! After reading your post, I can understand your concerns! There are so many articles about the negatives of KY, especially the racism/KKK. All I can say is that I am a life-long native, about 24 miles outside of Lexington, and have never seen a rally! This doesn't mean that they don't happen, just that most of us have progressed past that dumb stuff. In my area, mixed couples are very common, and not an issue at all. My kids attend public schools, and I substitute teach for the Madison County School District. I have to honestly say that they have received the best education possible. When my middle girl was 13, she took her ACT's and was admitted into Duke University. I really believe her teachers and schools had more to do with her high scores than just "smarts". My son has two learning disabilities that affect him pretty significantly. The school system has bent over backwards to work with us to make sure he succeeds-which, by the way, he graduates this May and has a 3.0 GPA! Some of the larger cities have schools that are not quite as good, but there are still many, many good schools. I am sure there will be more people jumping in about the Louisville neighborhoods, as I am not familiar with them. Here's a link about the schools in that area, including test scores-
http://www.archlou.org/
http://www.jefferson.k12.ky.us/
http://louisville.edu/
I will say that the larger towns, such as Louisville and Lexington tend to be more diverse. However, I would recommend checking out some of the smaller areas, such as Richmond, which is also diverse. Good luck and welcome to KY!

Last edited by Kichenwich; 02-22-2007 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: wrong link

Old 02-22-2007, 07:33 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,742,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby1 View Post
I have been reading alot of these threads. Good info but sometimes scary. I am looking at a job offer in Louisville. My concerns/questions? Is there a reason for the abudance of catholic schools? i.e. Large Hispanic population, poor public school system. Also I am in a mixed marriage, should I be concerned, what areas should I avoid. I see KY has a very active KKK group.
Any neighborhoods to recomend? I want to buy a newer built house.
Thanks for any info.
louisville is accepting of people of all types. there are lots of catholic schools bc the city has a rich german/irish/catholic heritage. this is not normanl in the south but quite typical of midwestern cities. i would say the city is around 25% catholic. louisville is a major city that can still feel like your hometown, offering relatively short commutes, affordable and varied housing, and a good public school system. the most diverse neighborhood in the city is probably old louisville, both in terms of race, age, and socioeconomics. you have blacks, whites, gays, students, etc all living in close proximity, and u have rental properties next to million dollar mansions.

for newer homes and areas, i recommend anywhere near I-265 in the east side of the county. i like the areas around 265 and the brownsboro road and westport road interchanges.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:20 AM

20 posts, read 77,521 times
I work in Louisville, however we purchased a house in La Grange (Oldham County). I can get to work in 20 minutes.

The Oldham County School system is outstanding. We moved here a year ago from Michigan and my family is very happy here. We bought a 7 year old home (2200 sq ft) for under 200K. If you come out to interview, be sure to check out the neighborhoods in OC. I'm sure you'll like what you see.

JP

Old 02-23-2007, 05:11 AM

850 posts, read 3,055,953 times
I am so sorry you have only had access to the negative articles. It seems that is the way it usually works - always bad before good.

There are certain areas of Louisville (downtown areas) that I would presonally recommend you not visit. However, the KKK is not something you should even worry about. Rarely do they raise their ugly head - and now that demonstrations and public out door speaking events must have a permit - it is more likely this will not occur at all, have a VERY small turn out pro KKK and a LARGE turnout AGAINST KKK.

I am proud to say that while racism does exist everywhere in this great United States, you will find this region to be more open minded, accepting of diversity, and the hospitality of MOST citzens will blow you away.

As far as the Hispanic population, every city seems to be growing in diverstiy these days. Louisville is a hugely diverse community - openning our doors to those from Russia, The Ukrain, Japan and China, and Hispanics. Being a college town (University of Louisville), you will find a true mix of everything - which has been wonderful. Nothing like true ethnic food. It's great!

I have recently had the opportunity to introduce a family to our area - and they could not believe this is real/ There are many more good than bad issues - do not let those negative articles lead you away.

You honestly will have to visit to understand - but I think you will generally be pleased.

We would absolutely love to show you around - come on out for a visit!

Old 02-23-2007, 07:01 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,414,639 times
I'm from So. California but visit Louisville often. We have traveled all over the U.S. and my impression of KY is this:

It is the cleanest state I have ever been in and the people are the friendliest of any I have met. It is a charming place to live and very beautiful. I usually don't like big cities, but downtown Louisville is a very interesting place....go 15 - 20 minutes away from downtown and you are in a semi-rural setting with trees, streams (or the Ohio River) and beautiful, quiet neighborhoods that are close to services...or live near downtown where there are very charming neighborhoods with delightful restaurants, museums, parks and shops. There are many very nice, affordable areas in and around Louisville. There is a level of sophistication and quality in the shops, restaurants and the arts that will surprise you.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:05 PM

16 posts, read 52,022 times
Thank you for the info, regarding public school systems, is seems the opinions are that Oldham County is far above Jeffersons. Or is Jeff county schools just bad? I also was looking at housing in zips 40219,40228,40229 areas. Any good or bad info for these areas. The housing is reasonable and the drive downtown Louisville seems short.
I hope to visit before accepting the job, but I may not have that chance.
Thanks Again

Old 03-02-2007, 02:11 PM

20 posts, read 77,521 times
Look in 40031 as well.

JP

Old 03-02-2007, 09:01 PM

673 posts, read 3,951,233 times
I was in Louisville for a month about 4 years ago.

I thought Louisville was overall a very clean, green city. It had some scary areas just west of downtown, but everything seemed to be better intact then alot of major cities. They didnt seem to have large scale areas of run-down housing, just some areas that were struggling a bit such as Portland or West Louisville.

Louisville didnt feel like a safe city overall, but it didnt feel very unsafe either. I cant say that I would walk down West Chesnut street at night and feel safe, but I dont think that there is really any area I would all out avoid during the day.

Louisville has some decent areas. Bardstown Road was very clean but fairly typical of a inner-city partially gentrified neighborhood. I cant say that Bardstown Road really excited me even though thats the locals favorite urban neighborhood. Downtown Louisville was decent, clean and partially gentified but all and all fairly typical of what one would expect of a city its size.

Old Louisville (just south of Downtown) had some very unique victorian mansions, but it didnt have much interesting retail and it just didnt seem very interesting other then the architecture down in that area. Sort of one of those areas where its fun to look at the beautiful housing and victorian architecture and then go

I can say based on the month I was there that Louisville was anywhere I would not go out of my way to reside there, but I dont think I would mind it either.

I have to say as far as friendliness: the people were in the middle. I didnt find them very open, but they tended to be polite. I cant really complain about the personality of the people in Louisville.

I would say Louisville just has a very average feel, probubly the most average city I have been in grade wise. I cant say I thought anything about it was unique, except for some of the architecture close to downtown. It just doesnt stand out.

Last edited by MattDen; 03-02-2007 at 09:10 PM..

Old 03-02-2007, 10:52 PM

92 posts, read 485,142 times
Ruby1 -

Jefferson County Public Schools are actually very good quality for a large urban school district. JCPS test scores continue to increase and the district has a great and competitive magnet school sysytem. Some of the stand out high schools are DuPont Manual and Youth Performing Arts School.

Oldham County's district is better - but it is a comparsion of Louisville's most affluent county with a population of 65,000 versus an urban county with a population of 700,000 - it's not hard to figure out the differences. However, I would have no problem with sending my children to JCPS if I were still in Louisville.

You asked a question about the Catholic schools in Louisville - Louisville has a sizeable minority of Catholics, and if you look at the history of the Catholic Church in America, you will notice that the first Catholic diocese west of the Appalachian Mountains was in Bardstown, Kentucky - which is a short distance from Louisville. That early Catholic migration still has an effect on the city today.

You also mention worries about the KKK - don't be worried. More people show up to protest them than shows up at their rallies, and their rallies rarely occur anywhere near Louisville. It really is a vestige of the past to worry about the KKK more in Kentucky than anywhere else in America. (When I lived in Southern California I was, strangely enough, much more aware of white supremecist groups than I ever noticed in Kentucky)

MattDen-

I am sorry you did not enjoy your time in Louisville in the early 2000's - But not every city can please everyone.

I moved to Louisville after being raised on the west coast coast in California and Oregon, and when I moved to Louisville, I immediately fell in love with the place. The lush landscape of Kentucky, and the urban environment of Louisville, truely impressed me.

You did not sem impressed by Bardstown Road, but I find a continuous 3 mile strip of restaurants and art galleries impressive for city the size of Louisville. And I would hardly call the Highlands "partially gentrified". Gentrification implies that the area lost affluence and fell into disrepair. I wouldn't call Cherokee Triange (which inspired Fitzgerald in The Great Gatsby to make Daisy from Louisville) "gentrified". It has always been affluent and impressive. Or Cherokee Gardens. Or Highlands-Douglass. It's cool you visited Bardstown Road, but you don't know the history of the neighborhoods of the Highlands.

Did you not get to Frankfort Avenue? It's a cool, chilled version of Bardstown Road that many outsiders don't seem to find until they've settled into the city. Frankfort Avenue does go through some partially gentrified neighborhoods, such as Clifton, but also leads to the affluent inner-ring suburb od St. Matthews, which is renewing it's "downtown" area at the intersection of Shelbyville, Lexington, and Frankfort

You also mention Old Louisville as having a "few" Victorian mansions. If Old Louisville only has a "few", I'd love to see a lot! Old Louisville is America's largest remaining collection of Victorian mansions, actually, and it was never a commercial hub for Louisville. Again, the history of the area. I also like the fact that there is not some hopping commercial district in Old Louisville - I mean, downtown is right there.

Downtown has changed a lot too in only 4 years - google Museum Plaza and RiverPark Place - RiverPark Place broke ground today, and Museum Plaza breaks ground in September. These compliment the downtown arena, which had ceremonial ground breaking several months ago. And the other projects that bring a total of 2.5 billion dollars in investment in downtown Louisville right now. Cordish is expanding Fourth Street Live to include to Old Water Company site, and some are expecting them to bring a sizeable retail component with this newest addition. Downtown is much more exciting today than it was 4 years ago.

Again, not every city can impress every person - and that's cool. But, to this non-native, I find Louisville an amazing city that I would recommend to almost anyone. I can't wait to move back from Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area