Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 04:22 PM

4 posts, read 20,483 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm an Asian looking to move to this area from Charlottesville, VA. Wanted to know:

1) Any BIG asian supermarkets or mostly small grocery stores?
2) Any neighborhood where Asians typically live?
3) Looking to live in a big house with lots of land (1+acre) with low crime and good school....I know, looking for the world...budget is <$500K. Any neighborhood that fit this? Oldham? Shelby?
4) I saw good air quality but really really bad water quality (especially in Oldham). Anybody know why?
5) Any major Asian companies in the area?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 09:59 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugthetruth View Post
Hi, I'm an Asian looking to move to this area from Charlottesville, VA. Wanted to know:

1) Any BIG asian supermarkets or mostly small grocery stores?
2) Any neighborhood where Asians typically live?
3) Looking to live in a big house with lots of land (1+acre) with low crime and good school....I know, looking for the world...budget is <$500K. Any neighborhood that fit this? Oldham? Shelby?
4) I saw good air quality but really really bad water quality (especially in Oldham). Anybody know why?
5) Any major Asian companies in the area?

Thanks!!!

Louisville has a modest Asian population for its size, and this consists of mostly Vietnamese and Koreans on the city's south side. These are mostly lower income immigrants. Many wealthy Asians live in the NE suburbs, interspersed with the caucasions really. Here is a map of asians by census tract from 2000. I have a feeling the census undercounts some of the, and, Louisville's population may be adjusted up to around 760,000, with the metro population around 1.3 million.

Jefferson County, Kentucky by Census Tract - TM-P004D. Percent of Persons Who Are Asian Alone: 2000

I would be wary of Oldham county if you enjoy diversity, as it is over 95% white. Still, it is a very affluent suburb with an excellent school district.

There are dozens of Asian supermarkets, and I think a couple super centers. The largest I know of for sure is a place called DaWa? on south preston highway that is probably around 30,000 square feet. The folks at LouisvilleHotBytes.com will be able to help you with this better than I can. Join for free there and ask them! I can tell you that I know places for authentic dim sum and real vietnamese or korean barbeque, etc.

The air is average but the water is among the best in the country, so I am not sure why you heard otherwise. I am not sure about major asian companies with headquarters here. I am sure there are some, but nothing on the level of a Toyota or Sony, etc.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:17 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
There are quite a few asians living near Iroqouis park and kenwood isn't there? Also aren't there some Asian companies in Riverport?

Old 11-26-2008, 10:40 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
There are quite a few asians living near Iroqouis park and kenwood isn't there? Also aren't there some Asian companies in Riverport?
You are correct. Take some time to look at my links above, you may learn something

Old 11-26-2008, 11:04 AM

4 posts, read 20,483 times
Great info. Thanks!

Old 11-26-2008, 11:37 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
$500,000 buys a heck of a lot in Jefferson Co.

There are some quiant older homes throught NE Louisville that have lots of that size. Almost the entire city of Anchorage (a suburb, not the city in Alaska) has lots that size or bigger. It has an excellant indepedent school system with high taxes to support it

I used to live just west of Anchorage and commuted to Middletown. Traffic would often stop on Evergreen Rd to let deer cross - it feels that rural.

Here are a few pics I've took in Anchorage

Old 11-27-2008, 07:49 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
STX I barely have time to read the forums much less the links

Old 11-29-2008, 03:37 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,159,715 times
Anchorage is a very scenic and picturesque area that is often overlooked or discounted, I think due to it's proximity, but with Metro Louisville area growing all the time it won't be long before Anchorage is just another 'burb!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:30 AM

508 posts, read 1,511,985 times
I too am impressed with Anchorage. Love the houses - very refreshing to see with all of the ugly mass produced new neighborhoods (puke!) that have gone up in recent years.

Although it feels like you are out a ways being there, you can easily be close to shopping/etc within minutes.

I don't really care for Lagrange and (depending on which direction you go) having to cross the RR tracks but it's not a deal breaker. Lagrange just doesn't seem to be built to keep traffic flowing around the track crossings.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:41 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Oldham Water quality? Well, over 1/2 of Oldham County drinks Louisville Water Company water; another quarter drink LaGrange, and the balance Oldham County Water District. OC water comes from wells situated along the Ohio River, Louisville gets its water from the river itself.

I live here and no one complains about the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: