Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:19 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Emails I received today said that the Meade county executive is interested and has been interested in taking over Otter Creek and will focus on what methods need to be made to make the park a financial profit - to include cutting some of the timber in the areas that are less used to raise funds.
Dear Lord I hope so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 09:27 PM

18 posts, read 72,007 times
I don't think logging in a park is a very good idea. And besides, it isn't the function of a public park to make money. It is there for the enjoyment of the visitors, all 500,000 of them.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,479 times
Well, I think this is worth trying to save.

I'm sorry but I hope places like this forum will begin to rally support to save the park!

We moved to Louisville in 1989 and quickly recognized Otter Creek as a complete (WEIRD) gem of the Louisville park system. The closure of this place is just unacceptable.

Here's what should really be done:

1. Otter Creek should maybe close -- or be put on a low-level of open-ness during the coming winter, in order to comply with the budget realities.

2. The campground needs to be rented out to a private enterprise -- HEAR THAT Republicans? -- such as a KOA or Good Sam. Build a small POOL!!!

3. Tough medicine but close the museum until profits of a newly smart Otter Creek Park start producing revenue.

4. Publicize the park. What a novel concept!?!

5. Consider contracting out to PRIVATE ENTERPRISE -- hear that Republicans? -- the operation of the nice lodge restaurant with such an excellent view of the Ohio River.

Somehow this can be accomplished. Surely it will be.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:49 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Breaking news... the city of Lou-evil is in talks with the state to sell Otter Creek Park to them as a Wildlife Management Area - it's closing has also been delayed by the city until Jan 1st

The main change would be that some hunting would be allowed on the property, although its continued recreational use would require permission from whoever is the new incoming US Interior Sec.

State wants Otter Creek Park | courier-journal | The Courier-Journal

Old 12-03-2008, 01:11 PM

102 posts, read 323,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I am so upset I am actually crying. I have been going to that place my whole life and my family has been going there for generations. I can't wait to move out of this god-forsaken city
I understand your frustration Missy, but believe it or not, Louisville actually has an "above average" economy when compared to other cities. Scary, huh?

This country is falling apart at the seems.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpb502 View Post
I understand your frustration Missy, but believe it or not, Louisville actually has an "above average" economy when compared to other cities. Scary, huh?

This country is falling apart at the seems.
I know. I am sorry for all those who are dealing with much worse than we are.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Breaking news... the city of Lou-evil is in talks with the state to sell Otter Creek Park to them as a Wildlife Management Area - it's closing has also been delayed by the city until Jan 1st

The main change would be that some hunting would be allowed on the property, although its continued recreational use would require permission from whoever is the new incoming US Interior Sec.

State wants Otter Creek Park | courier-journal | The Courier-Journal
I am keeping my fingers crossed and praying hard on this one!

Old 12-03-2008, 05:44 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Default Thanks for the update

Census>> appreciate the update.

Hope that the development desires (by Meade Co) are not pursued either.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:16 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I'm a little confused about the article.

A Wildlife Management Area with limited hunting and some recreation oppertunities.... didn't that used to be called a State Park??

Old 12-03-2008, 07:32 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I'm a little confused about the article.

A Wildlife Management Area with limited hunting and some recreation oppertunities.... didn't that used to be called a State Park??
The difference is that you can't drink in a state park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area