Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:05 AM

8 posts, read 17,252 times

Advertisements

hi everybody,
have few questions hoping you could help me,
i'm moving to louisville for 6 months for medical training at the university hospital (i'm still student). so i hope you could help me with a place to live near the hospital ,
*what are the safest places in this area?,
* and which is better , renting a studio apartment or searching for a roommate( in terms of saftey and money saving)?
*how much do i need per month for living (grocery and these stuff) and what are the affordable places to buy from?(i need just basic needs)

thats it. i'm waiting for your help and i appreciate it
thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 10:07 AM

nobody wants to help me((((((

Old 04-17-2008, 11:16 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
I think you could find an affordable place off the northwestern-most part of Bardstown Road, and then come in Broadway to work. I'd prefer a studio apartment myself, just because I've found roommates to be an annoyance. They seem to cause as many problems as the solve, imo.

Bardstown Road is a real bohemian place so you'd fit right in as a student.

Another place where a lot of students congregate is the Old Louisville section. I'd be slightly more concerned about safety in some of those areas, but not as much as I used to be.

If you do a search on these areas on this forum, you'll find a lot. We talk about them all the time.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:53 PM

153 posts, read 538,010 times
if you need a nice, quiet, safe enviroment I'd suggest renting a dump at "The Camelot" apartments on Everett Avenue;efficiency unit. Then I'd buy groceries at the Aldi on Preston Hgwy as well as Kroger anywhere and finally; I'd eat as much Karem Deeb-Morris Deli sandwiches for $3.50 a pop; located at the corner of Taylorsville and Bardstown road. Thats pretty much a cheap yummy life!

Old 04-17-2008, 07:33 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Liberty Greens right across the street is a really nice new development. Parts of Phoenix Hill and all of Butchertown are nice and safe

I used to rent a studio apartment at Barrett and Breckinridge in the Original Highlands for $360 inc all utilities

Old 04-18-2008, 08:28 AM

thank you everybody, so helpful.
i wonder if 5500$ could be enough for living (housing , food ,etc..) for 6 months?
and i'm not american and live outside the states, how could i arrange the housing stuff before coming to louisville since most of the apartment ads they that they don't accept emails? and when to start searching( 1month before coming is enough?)
sorry for too many questions
thank you .......

Old 04-18-2008, 05:57 PM

153 posts, read 538,010 times
$5500 should work; but will be VERY tight. I'd call Monopoly Realty and rent a dump from them. $439.00 inc. heat&air and hot water!

Old 04-19-2008, 08:56 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiboy View Post
thank you everybody, so helpful.
i wonder if 5500$ could be enough for living (housing , food ,etc..) for 6 months?
and i'm not american and live outside the states, how could i arrange the housing stuff before coming to louisville since most of the apartment ads they that they don't accept emails? and when to start searching( 1month before coming is enough?)
sorry for too many questions
thank you .......
It would be hard to find a good, affordable apartment over the internet because the best ones will be local landlords simply putting 'for rent' signs in the yard.

If you could decide which area you want to live in, I could write down phone numbers on rent signs for you, since I ride my bike through this area a lot anyway.

If you want to be really close to the med school Phoenix Hill or Butchertown would be best. A little further away Original Highlands/ Cherokee or Old Louisville would be best.

Here are the Wikipedia pages for theses areas:
Butchertown, Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Phoenix Hill, Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Original Highlands, Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cherokee Triangle, Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-19-2008, 12:34 PM

81 posts, read 254,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It would be hard to find a good, affordable apartment over the internet because the best ones will be local landlords simply putting 'for rent' signs in the yard.

If you could decide which area you want to live in, I could write down phone numbers on rent signs for you, since I ride my bike through this area a lot anyway.

If you want to be really close to the med school Phoenix Hill or Butchertown would be best. A little further away Original Highlands/ Cherokee or Old Louisville would be best.

Here are the Wikipedia pages for theses areas:
Butchertown, Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Phoenix Hill, Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Original Highlands, Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cherokee Triangle, Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Good job on those census.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:30 PM

thank you everybody, great help, i appreciate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area