U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2007, 01:52 PM

282 posts, read 760,164 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My wife and I have been living in louisville for a little over a year and are looking to buy this summer. We are first time home buyers, are middle class, have excellent credit (800 fico score, wife is good too). We have already been pre-approved with Century Mortgage (a friend referred us to someone here, anyone have any experience with them?) and are looking to spend in the 100k to 115k range.

We were thinking of looking in northern bullitt county (hillview area... brooks exit of of I-65), maybe southern jefferson county, or even possibly one of the other neighboring counties.

We both work in Louisville so we dont want to get too far away, but we would like to experience a bit more of the laid back lifestyle (we're both from big cities and would like something new).

What we could really use some help with are some good, specific neighborhoods and/or areas to check out. Also, as that we are first time home buyers, I am trying to do my homework with the financing - as that our credit or income shouldnt be a problem, I want to ensure we get the absolete best financing out there... can anyone help with any of this?

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 07:14 AM

850 posts, read 3,031,734 times
Capo - I am from Bullitt co. - and there are many new housing starts - and older homes for sale right now. Your price range should not be too out of the question - it really depends on where you land.

Brooks is a great place - a few nice subdivisions down the road on hwy 1020 - and many houses just spread here and there.

Southern Jefferson County - which backs up to Bullitt - is also a great place not many people think about.

If you travel west on the Gene Snyder, and get off at Stone Street - left will take you into a more country setting, right will take in into the neighborhoods. Lots of new housing and wonderful older homes, too.

If you take the Gene Snyder East - off at Hwy 61 - south takes you back into Bullitt county, where many new homes are sprouting down Mt. Washington Road, Cooper Chapel Road - that area. Further East will take you to Smyrna Road - and I myself am astonished at how much that area has grown. A left takes you to the Outer Loop - right, back into more of a rural setting but still great homes. Continuing on east the Billtown road exit, just past Bardstown Road, will land you in the J-Town area - which is also great - and if you exit onto Bardstown road and turn right - you are headed toward Mt.Washington - back in Bullitt co. - where there are more great houses than you can shake a stick at.

It all depends on what you are looking for .

From the sound of your post, any of those areas would be great - but as I said - your pricing should not be outof the question - it just depends on the area you fall in love with.

Good luck with your search - the main page of our site has realtors which deal in this area - I would probably google something like ' brooks kentucky' and see what you get - and we now have a realtor section on the forum where you may find a good one to help.

Good luck to you!

Old 03-09-2007, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the great info Kimmie! Anyone else have any suggestions in regards to the mortage questions?

Old 03-12-2007, 09:39 AM

850 posts, read 3,031,734 times
Well - looks like it's gonna be me again...soooo...No - I am not familiar with Century Mortgage. Your best bet is to call the Better Business Bureau, see what they say. If they give you a thumbs up - cal around to local Banks in the area - you are going to need one anyway - and see what their rates are, etc.

I have found - and this is not always the case - but often times a bank will be a better bet as they are bigger than 'mortgage compnay only' type business - and they can offer packages, etc. which put all of your accounts in one place - home loan, checking, savings, business account, etc.

Those would be the steps I would take. Oh - and check the business news section of the courier journal - you should see the rates listed for local banks, etc. and be able to do a comparison among the banks in the area.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:14 PM

Thanks so much!

Old 03-15-2007, 01:36 PM

20 posts, read 76,930 times
I bought a house in 2005 and refinanced last December. For both, I used Deborah Weston at The Mortgage Network. She did a great job both times, we were very satisfied.

JP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area