U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-13-2009, 07:20 AM
 
1 posts, read 3,758 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I am researching my ancestors (Ancestry.Com) and I found a name in the 1900 Census that is the same as my great-grandmother, living in the Louisville Work House. What type of facility was (is)this?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2009, 03:50 AM
 
Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,073,614 times
Reputation: 522
I don't know! I've never heard of this place. I may have to fire up Google and get to searching....
I love Ancestry.com--I think it's a great site!



Well, I just did a quick search, and it appears that the Workhouse was a detention facility, that "helped" people who'd been convicted of minor crimes--maybe like a half-way house?? Hard to say, but here is a fast link: http://digital.library.louisville.ed...ISOBOX=1&REC=2
A more in depth search should easily bring some results.

Cheers!

Last edited by tigerlillydownunder; 01-15-2009 at 04:04 AM.. Reason: further info
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2009, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
209 posts, read 682,220 times
Reputation: 136
It was at the corner of Payne and Lexington. Back when I was in college a friend of ours who was a spelunker convinced a bunch of us, including my future wife and me, to break into the then abandoned workhouse. It was night, and we had the crap scared out of us. I remember tiny cells and bars ... and holes in the floor we almost fell through. It was a dismal place.

After we climbed back over the wall, we scaled the wall at Cave Hill and went skinny-dipping in the pond.

Ah, the madness of college days.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 12:10 AM
 
6,982 posts, read 15,110,098 times
Reputation: 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by louroclou View Post
It was at the corner of Payne and Lexington. Back when I was in college a friend of ours who was a spelunker convinced a bunch of us, including my future wife and me, to break into the then abandoned workhouse. It was night, and we had the crap scared out of us. I remember tiny cells and bars ... and holes in the floor we almost fell through. It was a dismal place.

After we climbed back over the wall, we scaled the wall at Cave Hill and went skinny-dipping in the pond.

Ah, the madness of college days.
My goodness that building is beautiful! That whole area is one of the most underdeveloped in the urban city. That area, as well as the Sobro area, are prime for retail development. I am thinking Urban Target, Home Depot, etc. Why has this not happened, and why has Louisville torn down so much of its history?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
209 posts, read 682,220 times
Reputation: 136
There has been a longstanding project in the Irish Hill area, catticorner to the workhouse site, that the neighborhood association has, unfortunately, thwarted. Distillery Antiques, Headliners (which could stay open more as a neighborhood bar) and Jackson's would be beneficiaries, as would the whole area. Alas...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2009, 04:23 PM
 
6,982 posts, read 15,110,098 times
Reputation: 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by louroclou View Post
There has been a longstanding project in the Irish Hill area, catticorner to the workhouse site, that the neighborhood association has, unfortunately, thwarted. Distillery Antiques, Headliners (which could stay open more as a neighborhood bar) and Jackson's would be beneficiaries, as would the whole area. Alas...
alas NIMBYism....I dont get why that is so prevalent in Louisville
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 20,878,545 times
Reputation: 2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
alas NIMBYism....I dont get why that is so prevalent in Louisville
I think part of it is that we just don't like change much. We like things to stay as we are used to. That could just be me though (creature of habit )
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 04:02 PM
 
6,982 posts, read 15,110,098 times
Reputation: 3414
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I think part of it is that we just don't like change much. We like things to stay as we are used to. That could just be me though (creature of habit )
No, I think you represent the typical Louisvillian. That is not totally bad, but everyone should be for sound development and economic growth, even if it is in their back yard.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2009, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,073,614 times
Reputation: 522
People fear what they don't know; change means you don't know the result until after the change. It's also about maintaining control--how can you control what you don't know?

I'd go as far as to say a large population of the world doesn't like change.

Or rather, maybe it's not change per say, but more the rate of said change....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2011, 07:07 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,400 times
Reputation: 10
Smile the work house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivache View Post
I am researching my ancestors (Ancestry.Com) and I found a name in the 1900 Census that is the same as my great-grandmother, living in the Louisville Work House. What type of facility was (is)this?
where was this place located at in louisville
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top