U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,278 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am coming to U of L to finish up college and am wondering about how many tornadoes you actually have in the louisville area? I have quite a fear of them and it would be really helpful to hear from people who have lived in the area quite a long time. Is it like I would have to worry about them all season long?

Also- looking to live in the areas around U of L. How are those areas in terms of safety? Thank you!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 03:18 PM

8 posts, read 26,360 times
Default Tornado's

I have lived in Louisville for 50 years. We have had one tornado in my lifetime. Others came come north and south of Louisville and we have had severe straight line winds but I only recall the one in 1974 which I saw up close and personal. Ever since the government financed the fancy dopler radar for the local tv stations their favorite term is possible tornado during a severe storm. Come and enjoy your stay and don't worry about the "what if" of a tornado. You stand a much greater chance of being harmed by the policies of President Hussen

Old 01-19-2009, 03:52 PM

11,306 posts, read 23,364,344 times
The Louisville area has a few smaller tornadoes (F1 and smaller) that don't do anymore damage than a bad wind storm. Kentucky just seems to be in a tornado "lull zone" since Indiana and Tennessee both get a lot more tornadoes that create damage and fatalities.

As for U of L... I attended U of L and will probably go back in the fall. The best area is along Eastern Parkway, since it is one of the safest areas in the old city limits. Areas south of campus along 4th and 3rd Streets are more industrial and lower income, I'd avoid those. The area north of campus (Old Louisville) has problems with car break ins in spots although areas along 2nd and 3rd Street south of Hill Street are very safe otherwise.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:51 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,381,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The Louisville area has a few smaller tornadoes (F1 and smaller) that don't do anymore damage than a bad wind storm. Kentucky just seems to be in a tornado "lull zone" since Indiana and Tennessee both get a lot more tornadoes that create damage and fatalities.

As for U of L... I attended U of L and will probably go back in the fall. The best area is along Eastern Parkway, since it is one of the safest areas in the old city limits. Areas south of campus along 4th and 3rd Streets are more industrial and lower income, I'd avoid those. The area north of campus (Old Louisville) has problems with car break ins in spots although areas along 2nd and 3rd Street south of Hill Street are very safe otherwise.
Compared to the coasts and the plains from Texas to the Dakotas, Louisville has a low risk of devastating natural disasters. The biggest risk is actually flash flooding, not tornados, which rarely hit the city.

Louisville's campus area is as safe as any urban college area. There has been problems with car break ins at times, and like any urban campus, there are a few reports of robberies, but these are few and far between. overall, it is very safe, and the on campus population is picking up drastically. UL now has nearly 3500 students on campus, and my by best guess, at least another 3,000 living off campus within walking distance. The best thing to do is search craigslist for renovated old mansions, which dominate the area. If you can find one on St James Court, Park Avenue, or Florar terrace, those are gloriously beautiful streets. If you are more into large "complexes" or lofts, let me know, as there are several new and existing developments around campus that will interest you.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:11 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,087,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Compared to the coasts and the plains from Texas to the Dakotas, Louisville has a low risk of devastating natural disasters. The biggest risk is actually flash flooding, not tornados, which rarely hit the city.

Louisville's campus area is as safe as any urban college area. There has been problems with car break ins at times, and like any urban campus, there are a few reports of robberies, but these are few and far between. overall, it is very safe, and the on campus population is picking up drastically. UL now has nearly 3500 students on campus, and my by best guess, at least another 3,000 living off campus within walking distance. The best thing to do is search craigslist for renovated old mansions, which dominate the area. If you can find one on St James Court, Park Avenue, or Florar terrace, those are gloriously beautiful streets. If you are more into large "complexes" or lofts, let me know, as there are several new and existing developments around campus that will interest you.
Stx is right. While Louisville is technically in (more at the tail end of, I think) Tornado Alley, there are high-severe winds (people will often classify them as a tornado and they are not), usually the by-product of tornados that have gone past or 'around' Louisville. The flash flooding can be much more of an issue, but it's not exactly what I'd consider dangerous; better in Louisville than Arkansas and northwestern Tennessee/southwestern Kentucky!

And I also highly recommend trying to find a place on or near St James Court--the whole area is just chock full of beautifully architectured old buildings, that people buy up, renovate and turn into several studio-type apartments. I have known a lot of students over the years who've lived there, and the atmosphere and ambience of the area can not be beat. I wish I had gone to UofL and lived just off campus instead of visiting my friends who did!
Also, UofL is an outstanding University; you really can't go wrong by enrolling there.

good luck on your search, and hope you enoy your time in Louisville and UofL.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 4,278 times
THANK YOU, thank you, thank you for all the info! This has been a great help to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area