Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:40 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times

Advertisements

Apart from the crime stats, I think Louisville might be a nice place for us to move to. We're a family of three (husband, wife and son nearly 9). We like good school and use the library and parks as main forms of recreation.

I am concerned coming from the North East we might feel out of our element though (we are not religious and I get the impression it might be a big thing there). Other than that, we keep to ourselves but are friendly and polite.

My husband is concerned everyone will be going around calling us "Yankee"..pretty funny since he's from the UK originally.

Anyhow, anyone from the North East or particularly NY who has move to Louisville, care to weigh in? Also locals, I would love your views. Could you direct me to some good suburbs outside of the city where we could rent a safe apartment or buy a small home? I don't think we want to live 'in the city' due to the crime.

Thanks for reading this and for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 04:20 PM

31 posts, read 134,107 times
the crime rate is extremely low in Louisville.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:04 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
The crime rate is not extremely low in Louisville - overall it is above average. I'm not sure why people keep saying the crime is low - it is low in suburbs of Louisville but not in Louisville - even nice areas like Indian Hills have much higher than normal crime...including crimes against persons.

Here is an article from last September:

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=5021890

Here are slightly different statistics showing that Louisville has average crime in some areas, higher in other areas and quite high compared to Money Magazine's Best Places to Live average.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL2148000.html

Look up a zip code to get stats here: http://realestate.yahoo.com/Neighborhoods (broken link)

Last edited by Cattknap; 03-12-2007 at 05:39 PM..

Old 03-12-2007, 07:12 PM

282 posts, read 806,905 times
It depends where you are from... for me, Louisville is a small city with low crime... if you're from a rural area somewhere else, I'm sure it'll seem much worse.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:54 AM

850 posts, read 3,158,632 times
As far as being called 'Yankee' - if you live within Jefferson County - which has merged with Louisville - now Louisville Metro - no one will really care where you are from, as the population is very diverse. I do not mean 'care' as in they will not be friendly - but it's not going to matter.

There are so many ethnic backgrounds here now - the Ukrain, Russian, and Bosnian population has grown, along with Hispanic, etc. - so I really don't think you guys will have a tough time.

You mentioned a child of 9. Check out the jefferson County Public School System website. Google it just like that, and you will find a lidting of all the schools in the area - perhaps that will give you a starting point.

Good luck - and I really think you guys will like it here. Crime is not horrible as it would be in a much bigger city - but it does happen. Compared to NY - I think you will feel quite safe - that's based on what I have read, heard. A friend of mine I graduated with moved to Queens in the early 80's - stayed there, traveling into Manhattan daily for work - and when he finally came home a few years back - he said Louisville is a cake walk compared to what he was used to.

It is different for everyone depending on your experiences. I am in a small town south of Louisville - but- I travel there frequently and have worked there the majority of my career - and it is nice to get home, out of traffic and noise. But that's me.

I don't think you will be disappointed - and spring is a great time for a visit. Derby is coming soon!!

Kimmiey

Old 03-14-2007, 07:08 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Thank you, I'm gathering data. I am sure it might be culture shock to move to KY from NY (we live in the suburbs) but I also think it might be the best thing (we are very simple folks, not stuck up).

Do you guys have any drug/meth problems there? (outside the city). Cities are cities..good and bad..

Old 03-15-2007, 04:12 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Thank you, I'm gathering data. I am sure it might be culture shock to move to KY from NY (we live in the suburbs) but I also think it might be the best thing (we are very simple folks, not stuck up).

Do you guys have any drug/meth problems there? (outside the city). Cities are cities..good and bad..
There are drug problems but nothing like NY. Meth has been an issue here lately, especially in the south suburbs as well as parts of the Indiana suburbs, especially the older parts. It used to be a rural drug but has made its way here from rural MO thru rural KY. Almost anywhere east of I-65 you should not notice a problem with the drug. Also, you will hear about a meth lab bust on the news once a week but that is only because they have nothing else to report. Also, the drug is mostly found in outlying rural areas as well as in the homes of rural people that move to the city (mostly SW county). You will see what sensational and crappy news stations we have here when you get here, so I would not pay attention to them reporting about a meth lab or two. Also, the problems with meth in Louisville are not nearly as bad as much of the rest of the south and midwest. In the inner city black community, crack is the drug of choice. And like anywhere, cocaine, marijuana, and other drugs are literally everywhere. I bet your boss in NY smokes weed and your neighbor has cocaine parties, but you would never know it since they don't "look like users." or maybe not but I am just making a point. so no, there is not a drug problem here.

You will esperience some shock mostly in how friendly people here. Honestly what most people dont get is suburbs look the same everywhere--chain restaurants, office buildings, and traffic congestion. Hurstbourne Parkway in Louisville is not unlike any suburban thoroughfare in NYC. Now, you will notice there is less of everything here but I think Louisville has enough cultural amenities at least to wet your appetite.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:11 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
I live in So. California and am used to lots of services and lots of things to do. I visit my best friend in Prospect at least once a year and I must echo STX's description of Louisville - it is a delightful, clean and friendly place with a lot of wonderful things to do. My friend gave me a subscription to Louisville Magazine - I suggest you do the same - you will be very impressed. We are retiring to Louisville next year.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:34 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
We didn't know anything about Louisville when we looked at places to retire. We settled in the Dayton, OH area and like it a lot. However, I deliver to the Meijer stores in OH, IN and Louisville and I find myself wishing we'd looked here, as well. I really like what I see in the Louisville Metro area. (And I LOVE the oldies station in town; WASE KOOL 103.5 )

Old 03-15-2007, 12:25 PM

20 posts, read 80,981 times
Look in Oldham County as well. Schools are outstanding and I get to my office in Louisville (NE side) in 20-25 minutes.

JP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area