U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 02:20 PM

12 posts, read 32,269 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Louisville but I left for the Univ of Kentucky for college and never lived here as an adult. I just bought a house in Glenmary last month and will be working as a software consultant remotely from there. My main office and other employees are remaining in Champaign, IL and I'm looking to provide on-site consulting expertise for Louisville companies. Are there any events sponsored by the local Chamber of Commerce or other entities in Louisville where one can network with other professionals? I've been working mostly for the Healthcare industry and .NET software and database development.

Assuming I can expand, where are good locations for office space? Is Bluegrass Industrial Parkway still a good location for affordable office space? Are there any emerging locations downtown that I should look into one I get more local staff?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 04:48 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
I grew up in Louisville but I left for the Univ of Kentucky for college and never lived here as an adult. I just bought a house in Glenmary last month and will be working as a software consultant remotely from there. My main office and other employees are remaining in Champaign, IL and I'm looking to provide on-site consulting expertise for Louisville companies. Are there any events sponsored by the local Chamber of Commerce or other entities in Louisville where one can network with other professionals? I've been working mostly for the Healthcare industry and .NET software and database development.

Assuming I can expand, where are good locations for office space? Is Bluegrass Industrial Parkway still a good location for affordable office space? Are there any emerging locations downtown that I should look into one I get more local staff?
Downtown, not the suburbs, are the hot areas for office right now. Downtown has much lower office vacancy. Are you looking for Class A, B, or C? How much square footage?

Sounds like you've been away from Louisville for sometime. I think the Bluegrass Industrial Park is a very 80's thing. If you want in the burbs, there are much better locations, including Eastpointe office park.

As for networkingm sure, there are much more opportunites. In my travels I have bumped into many Louisville natives who had no idea the size of their hometowm...Louisville is about 10 times bigger than Champaign so there will be many opportunities.

I know nothing about networking in your field, but I am sure it exists:

start here, and there are tons of links, which are all useful:

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/Business/

Old 01-27-2009, 06:23 PM

12 posts, read 32,269 times
Thanks stx12499. I last lived in Louisville in '94, so yes it has been quite a while and I doubt I really even "knew" Louisville back then.

My current office is 1700 square feet and is larger than we actually need at the moment. In my line of business, we rarely have clients meet at our office and meet them onsite. The main requirement is that the office is secure since we tend to have expensive equipment, servers, software, etc and that it provides a pleasant working environment for business professionals who may occasionally work odd hours.

I'll check out the link you posted. Thanks again.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks stx12499. I last lived in Louisville in '94, so yes it has been quite a while and I doubt I really even "knew" Louisville back then.

My current office is 1700 square feet and is larger than we actually need at the moment. In my line of business, we rarely have clients meet at our office and meet them onsite. The main requirement is that the office is secure since we tend to have expensive equipment, servers, software, etc and that it provides a pleasant working environment for business professionals who may occasionally work odd hours.

I'll check out the link you posted. Thanks again.
You may want to think outside the box as well. I am honestly not sure what a fair rate for Class A office space is, but I think it is around 18 dollars a square foot. Some of the super high end goes for 25 a square foot.

Office Space : Bardstown Road (http://louisville.craigslist.org/off/999331597.html - broken link)

That seems like a great high energy, close to 24/7 bars and restaurants and very safe. I would think outside the box on this one. You dont necessarily have to be in a boring suburban office park, nor do you necessarily have to be in a buttoned up high rise downtown (although there are some great deals, like small office condos for sale).

For example, why rent a place when you can OWN a highrise office condo of 1600 square feet in a beautifully restored highrise downtown for 160k!

Featured : RiverGlen : Construction : Development : Real Estate

Here is a good site to search downtown office space:

LDMD - Available Space - Louisville, KY (http://www.ldmd.org/research-data/properties/default.aspx - broken link)

I believe something like half of the metro areas leasable office space is downtown, so its still the major player in that regard. Glenmary is a decent hike to downtown, but very doable, and I think the environment of downtown, the Highlands, or St Matthews would but much more conducive to creative IT types than a typically boring office park location, nestled away behind the same old fast food and chain restaurant joints. That location on bardstown I showed you is probably one of the mire expensive office properties in the Highlands. Some areas of the douglass loop may offer and old rehabbed office or old house zoned for an office for around 12 dollars a square foot that is very nice.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Just saw this ad, but a great company for you to look into is Zirmed. Fast growing and hiring lots of IT types. Building a new office tower downtown right now and hiring rapidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>