U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Family moving to Louisville, advice choosing between Kentucky or Indiana, school important in decision, housing budget 100k, opinions on which state is better

Old 03-20-2007, 05:00 AM

6,764 posts, read 20,941,734 times

Advertisements

We're seriously looking at the Louisville area. It seems to have a lot of jobs but we aren't sure if we should get a place to live in KY or Indiana. My main concern is a good school (my son has some learning difficulties...nothing major but he is a little behind in his writing and so forth).

Housing seems about the same. Eventually we'd like to buy a small house for around $100,000 or so which seems doable in both states.

If anyone has any opinions on which state would be better, or any suggestions, please let me know.
I have gotten some great advice so far. Thanks to all who have helped.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 09:03 AM

7 posts, read 26,260 times
Don't let others scare you our school systems are quite good in Louisville. If you don't like the public school system then we have awesome private schools. SOme of our private high schools are so popular around the world taht they have built dorms : ) Louisville is booming and a great place to raise a family, entertainment, and really big on restaurants. I fyou move to Southern Indiana you will find that most jobs are in Louisville, alot more entertaining is in Louisville and the bridges can get backed up alot as you have to cross the Ohio River from So. Indiana. Sorry I am bias to Louisville : ) Indiana does offer alot but many will tell you that people do come over to Louisvilel to get work and entertatinment done
http://www.gotolouisville.com/ info on louisville
http://www.jefferson.k12.ky.us/ on schools
www.glarhomes.com/lisatoombs for housing info

Hope this helps if not I will find you more url's

Old 03-22-2007, 11:11 AM

23 posts, read 104,400 times
Hello. My family is moving to Louisville in the next couple of months. We have not found a house at this time. I've posted some other questions about schools on this forum and have received some good advice-or so I think. I would like to live in Louisville just because I like to be close too shopping, gym,etc. However, with the whole school thing we will probably go to Oldham co., just because we can send our child to a neighborhood school. Although if we can find a decent private school that is reasonably priced then we could live in Louisville. Do you recommend any? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:43 AM

7,021 posts, read 15,204,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb12 View Post
Hello. My family is moving to Louisville in the next couple of months. We have not found a house at this time. I've posted some other questions about schools on this forum and have received some good advice-or so I think. I would like to live in Louisville just because I like to be close too shopping, gym,etc. However, with the whole school thing we will probably go to Oldham co., just because we can send our child to a neighborhood school. Although if we can find a decent private school that is reasonably priced then we could live in Louisville. Do you recommend any? Thanks in advance.
I am not sure why a certain myth is being perpetuated on this forum. Many public school children in Louisville live within walking distance of school. Others live 10 minutes away. My gosh, not all kids are on an hour bus ride everyday! Some are, but not all, and not even a majority! I would look at the situation in Louisville first, and if you find a neighborhood you like, ask about that school district. It can not hurt to call and ask, I would not want you to have to deal with all that exurban traffic and nonsense when you could have the joys of a great "small town" big city in Louisville. You could move to Atlanta or Dallas if you want all that sprawltastic vinyl sided exurban traffic congested nightmare. Why do that in Louisvile. Theres a GOOD alternative! 40205, 40206 and 40207 are the zips where all the hippest, wisest, most professional families are at. The friendliness and "hip" factor of 40205 is exemplified in a new coffee shop to open on Bardstown--it is to serve candy and coffee, for those cool parents out there. really, you should consider the city first, it isnt lying when it says on the city's homepage "america's top city for relocating families."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area