U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:13 AM

22 posts, read 101,086 times

Advertisements

Looks like I could have a choice between taking a job in Portland, OR or Louisville, KY. One thing I know for sure is that Louisville has a lower cost of living than Portland. That aside, convince me: where should I go with my wife and 3 small children?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 11:34 AM

102 posts, read 305,547 times
Both are very nice, livable cities. Portland is larger, but you will find similar amenities in both cities.

Where are you from originally?

Computer Repair Louisville KY

Old 02-26-2009, 04:58 PM

6,975 posts, read 15,103,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepax View Post
Looks like I could have a choice between taking a job in Portland, OR or Louisville, KY. One thing I know for sure is that Louisville has a lower cost of living than Portland. That aside, convince me: where should I go with my wife and 3 small children?
As I recall, you are a Mormon from Socal? Refresh my memory please. Given equal jobs, Id choose Louisville if I was married with kids. Its a bit smaller and more family friendly and much cheaper (plus I prefer the seasons). That said, especially for single people, Portland and Austin are two of the only cities I have seen that does what Louisville does, but better (provide big city amenities and an indie hip feel without the hassle). Louisville and Portland are excellent choices, and after visiting only once, I am a huge fan of Portland both for its density, its support local businesses, and its density with dedication to mass transit and biking. But, as said, I would go with Louisville since you have kids.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:18 PM

257 posts, read 825,242 times
yeah, all i know is that louisville is an aspiring portland in terms of how it wants others to view the city. wouldn't you wanna help us reach that potential! it's here, so come on!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:43 PM

8 posts, read 21,190 times
I grew up in Louisville, and love Portland (I'm actually hoping to move there one day). When I first visited Portland about 6 years ago, I was struck by the similarity between the two cities. It's nice to read other people saying the same thing!

I agree with what stx12499 said, that Portland "does it better". If only Louisville could develop something resembling a respectable public transportation system! Portland is, I think, better recognised by people for what it is. Louisville, not so much. But the city's image is growing, I think.

Both cities have that independent, liberal vibe. Locally-owned businesses are well-respected in both cities. Louisville is cheaper than Portland, but the weather is weirder (think snow and cold on Monday, shorts and tornado watches on Friday during the spring and fall). Louisville summers are hellaciously humid. If you're a hard-core outdoors enthusiast, Portland would be better. But Louisville offers enough to suit the tamer activist (excellent city parks system!)

Since I don't have kids, I can't really offer suggestions focused on that. Both seem to be very nice places to raise a family: safe, pleasant cities with friendly people and very high qualities of life.

Last edited by bulldozr; 03-04-2009 at 01:36 PM..

Old 03-05-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozr View Post
I grew up in Louisville, and love Portland (I'm actually hoping to move there one day). When I first visited Portland about 6 years ago, I was struck by the similarity between the two cities. It's nice to read other people saying the same thing!

I agree with what stx12499 said, that Portland "does it better". If only Louisville could develop something resembling a respectable public transportation system! Portland is, I think, better recognised by people for what it is. Louisville, not so much. But the city's image is growing, I think.

Both cities have that independent, liberal vibe. Locally-owned businesses are well-respected in both cities. Louisville is cheaper than Portland, but the weather is weirder (think snow and cold on Monday, shorts and tornado watches on Friday during the spring and fall). Louisville summers are hellaciously humid. If you're a hard-core outdoors enthusiast, Portland would be better. But Louisville offers enough to suit the tamer activist (excellent city parks system!)

Since I don't have kids, I can't really offer suggestions focused on that. Both seem to be very nice places to raise a family: safe, pleasant cities with friendly people and very high qualities of life.

Portland does it better, but dont take the quote out of context. I think I have found this gem of a city in Louisville. Many natives living in larger cities often bash it, or do not think it is as hip as it really it is. Maybe Louisville wasn't hip 10 years ago (I don't know), but it is certainly hip today. Like very hip in much of the city actually. Few cities its size have so many options of large, thriving, urban areas. Yes, some of the commercial corridors may not be as dense or look like the historic areas of the NE megalopolis or even the upper Midwest, but Louisville does eclectic very well. If you are a person who likes old urban architecture, parks, low cost of living, great restaurants, and dont mind the lack of pro sports, I haven't seen any cities do it better in the midsized city class besides Austin and Portland (which are starting to get into problems with traffic and high cost of living that Louisville doesn't have).

As far as best midsized cities that give you a more "corporate feel" I would put Nashville and Charlotte at the top, and possibly throw in Salt Lake City.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:16 PM

225 posts, read 702,147 times
I think Louisville a neat city for its size, and it does have this liberal, urban vibe to it. But, it is surrounded by nothing but bible belt fanatics, once you get outside of the city. On the other hand, Portland (and Oregon in general) have a lower percentage of its residents who are affiliated with any organized religion. The seasons are better in Louisville, but the scenery is better in Portland.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:06 PM

8,210 posts, read 14,178,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brssplr View Post
I think Louisville a neat city for its size, and it does have this liberal, urban vibe to it. But, it is surrounded by nothing but bible belt fanatics, once you get outside of the city. On the other hand, Portland (and Oregon in general) have a lower percentage of its residents who are affiliated with any organized religion. The seasons are better in Louisville, but the scenery is better in Portland.
I don't know about that with the religious fanatics. There are large numbers of them, and I work with several. There are numerous efforts by these religious groups to place ballot initiatives on the ballot during elections. These initiatives always focus on one segment of the population, and there isn't an election they don't try it. Portland in itself is not conservative, but the chemistry changes almost immediately when one leaves certain core areas of the city. Much of this state is extremely conservative especially southern and eastern Oregon.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I don't know about that with the religious fanatics. There are large numbers of them, and I work with several. There are numerous efforts by these religious groups to place ballot initiatives on the ballot during elections. These initiatives always focus on one segment of the population, and there isn't an election they don't try it. Portland in itself is not conservative, but the chemistry changes almost immediately when one leaves certain core areas of the city. Much of this state is extremely conservative especially southern and eastern Oregon.
Exactly. I don't think rural Oregon, especially in the east, is altogether different than rural KY (with the exception of eastern KY which is like the third world almost).

Old 03-06-2009, 07:42 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,530,893 times
Portland is as a veggie-friendly and eco-friendly city around. Plus they have a professional basketball team. Lots of good restaurants (but so does Louisville). Really, it's difficult to find much wrong with Portland. Just about the only negative thing I could come up with is the Businessweek.com report that it's the most unhappy city in America.

BusinessWeek ranks Portland at top of "unhappiest cities" list - OregonLive.com

Also, it's a big city, so maybe you get more of a small town feel with Louisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: