Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 03:56 PM

45 posts, read 119,815 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We're hoping to move asap (as soon as our house here in SK, Canada sells), and have been looking around, focusing on the IN side because it's cheaper but my husband will be attending the SBT Seminary downtown. We will have 4 kids by then (due in May!), and one of the things I've wondered most about are the area churches. We live in a small Mennonite community here, with very little "diversity", and I assume we'll all be having culture shock in L'ville. Since we're looking to move overseas after seminary, cultural diversity is important for us. We'd like to expose our children to many different "peoples" so that they have an easier time adjusting overseas.
Can anybody help with some advice on what locales are generally "diverse", any churches that seem especially welcoming to people of all flavors, and if there are any areas we should avoid (racism-wise)? Denomination is not as big a factor as long as the Bible is the source of authority and generally mentioned in sermons.
It seems to me that kids don't really learn discrimination until after 8 or so, and our oldest is only 4, but we'd really like to get to know people from lots of different backgrounds.

Thanks,
Kat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 04:06 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Depending on where you land dwelling wise, I sure would have to push you towards St. Matthews Baptist. It is not the favorite church of the Seminary, but for years has been a leader in Worldwide Reconciliation activities. I don't know it's current racial makeup, but its a for-real church with lots of love.

My wife and I are active members of Dehaven in LaGrange. We are an older congregation, but we are diverse too.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:03 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjat32 View Post
Hi,
We're hoping to move asap (as soon as our house here in SK, Canada sells), and have been looking around, focusing on the IN side because it's cheaper but my husband will be attending the SBT Seminary downtown. We will have 4 kids by then (due in May!), and one of the things I've wondered most about are the area churches. We live in a small Mennonite community here, with very little "diversity", and I assume we'll all be having culture shock in L'ville. Since we're looking to move overseas after seminary, cultural diversity is important for us. We'd like to expose our children to many different "peoples" so that they have an easier time adjusting overseas.
Can anybody help with some advice on what locales are generally "diverse", any churches that seem especially welcoming to people of all flavors, and if there are any areas we should avoid (racism-wise)? Denomination is not as big a factor as long as the Bible is the source of authority and generally mentioned in sermons.
It seems to me that kids don't really learn discrimination until after 8 or so, and our oldest is only 4, but we'd really like to get to know people from lots of different backgrounds.

Thanks,
Kat
Please be more specfic. Do you want diverse congregation or no? Where are you moving from? Do you only want Menonnite or Mormon church recs?

Old 03-17-2009, 03:53 PM

"Please be more specfic. Do you want diverse congregation or no? Where are you moving from? Do you only want Menonnite or Mormon church recs?"

Hi,
Thanks for the responses so far. Tomocox, your church looks lovely.
We're moving from Saskatchewan, Canada, a small Mennonite community. We are not Mennonites, although we agree with Christian non-resistance and peacemaking. Our focus in "church shopping" (oh I hate that phrase) is to find a place we can call home, where we can trust the teaching to be from the Bible and the leadership to be obedient to scripture. Mormon churches would be out, as we do not consider them obedient to scripture.
We have attended churches ranging from Pentecostal to Bible Presbyterian (our old church, where our membership still lies). In looking for "diversity" I guess we're looking for a community that loves across social, ethnic and economic boundaries. If it matters, we are white, but have lived overseas extensively and want to do so again; why we'd like our children to have a chance to make friends with people from different backgrounds.

Thanks any who respond; it's so hard looking just on the internet! =D

Katherine

Old 03-17-2009, 05:59 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Which church? Oh, my which church.... You know, I am a strong believer that God will put you where He wants you. I believe that you will be led to that special church one Sunday morning without clue as to why you got up and decided to go there. Just based on this forum, there is obvious room to share your faith in so many venues. Yes, just like our body needs meat and potatoes for energy, our psyches need worship, especially corporate worship to restore and energize us for our daily lives.

A person who realizes God as God of our lives will never need to worry.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:09 PM

Amen to that! We found our last church because our daughter was carsick and we needed a place to pull over and clean her up. Must have been the first and last time she ever got sick. Yes, we do believe in divine appointments, but sometimes God uses others to direct us too, which is why we appreciate anyone answering this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area