U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2009, 04:26 PM

45 posts, read 115,270 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We're hoping to relocate from Canada and trying to figure out which, if any, cellular service providers to look at (to consider in our buying a cell phone here or there). This is the list a quick google gave me:
  1. Sprint
  2. T-Mobile
  3. Verizon Wireless
  4. Cingular
  5. Boost Mobile
  6. Virgin Mobile
  7. Tracfone
  8. STI Mobile
  9. Net10
I'd love to hear some local advice on which to look into. I've had Cingular and AT&T in CA several years ago and remember there being significant difference in coverage area for L.A. then; is it the same in L'ville? We're thinking of living within 30 min of the city, IN or KY side, and so we'd be concerned about rural reception.

Thanks so much!!!!

Katherine
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 05:12 PM

45 posts, read 115,270 times
Default More questions...

Ok, I've now brushed up a bit on cell phones and have a few more questions to add to the first:

* is it important to have a phone that can access analog or is everything digital?

* I've read there are two main types of phone tech: GSM and CDMA. Is there a difference with coverage and providers in L'ville area?

* anybody use their phones as "walkie-talkies"?

* Culturally, is "texting" or IMing common in L'ville? I lived in Singapore in 2000-2002, and absolutely EVERYone did that, but obviously L'ville is different and it's 7 years later. Or do people use the internet feature more?

Thanks again!

Old 03-28-2009, 05:51 PM

7,039 posts, read 15,692,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjat32 View Post
Ok, I've now brushed up a bit on cell phones and have a few more questions to add to the first:

* is it important to have a phone that can access analog or is everything digital?

* I've read there are two main types of phone tech: GSM and CDMA. Is there a difference with coverage and providers in L'ville area?

* anybody use their phones as "walkie-talkies"?

* Culturally, is "texting" or IMing common in L'ville? I lived in Singapore in 2000-2002, and absolutely EVERYone did that, but obviously L'ville is different and it's 7 years later. Or do people use the internet feature more?

Thanks again!
This is the US in 2009. Almost all major metro areas get excellent reception, even in the exurbs and rural areas around it. I would choose between At&T, verizon, sprint, and tmobile. Tmobile is the cheapest, but also has the weakest signal. Verizon has the best network. Sprint is cheap. EVERYONE texts all the time everyhwhere. AT&T is expensive but its worth it if you get iPhone.

In short, Ive never seen a phone used as a walkie talkie, but id say virtually every person over age 13 in metro Louisville has a cell phone (even poor people who probably cant afford it), and uses it to talk and text, sometimes rudely, sometimes while driving, even in church. For all the technical info, Id go to one of the four stores I mentioned.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,552 times
I live in Ky and I have had Blue Grass Cellular for almost 12 yrs, they have a $39.99 unlimited plan that has additional charges for web and text. It can REALLY add up so I am looking into boost Mobile. Reception is suppost to be good in th TN, IN and KY area, plus all over the USA as well. They have an unlimited plan that includes unlimited talk 24/7, unlimited text, web and walkie talkie for only $50 bucks a month, no contract! You can try it out and not be tied down if you want to change your mind. Check it out at [url=http://www.boostmobile.com]No Contract Prepaid Cell Phones & Unlimited Plan | Boost Mobile | unwronged™[/url] -they have a coverage map there as well. Best of luck!!!!!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:59 AM

87 posts, read 256,358 times
i've heard mediocre things about sprints reception...and to be honest, their prices aren't good enough to warrant that mediocrity. the only plus with sprint is the 2-way (walkie-talkie). but, more other companies are beginning to incorporate that, and personally, i find that to be the most annoying thing on earth...i mean, seriously...just make a phone call...it's the same thing except the rest of the world doesn't have to hear it.

verizon would be my choice. great network. the prices are pretty competetive, and they have a good selection of phones. verizon also has the most extensive data network (for internet access all over).

i would say the primary benefit of at&t would be the iphone (though i have heard that their coverage is also very good).

the last consideration probably is what your friends/family have. most companies now offer free mobile to mobile minutes (and texts for some) if you are on the same network.

CDMA vs. GSM isn't really a big difference. different technologies, but both provide similar results as long as you are in-network.

i think that's about all the input i can offer.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:23 PM

6,367 posts, read 15,902,117 times
I read an article a few days ago that said T-Mobile was going to start charging for the bill. It will soon cost $1.50 if you want an actual paper bill to come in the mail. Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area