U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 07:48 PM

6 posts, read 10,711 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I'm a 26 M living in California/Arizona... I live in California, but just recently expanded one of my companies to Az, so I go out there once a week... I am currently paying $3,000.00 a Month for a 2 bedroom apartment in the Los Angeles Area... I'm def. looking for something less than that. I have been told to stay away from the West End and Shively area... I do have family in the PRP area...

-Where you are working: For the most part I work out of my home... So the commute does not matter... I do have Family in the PRP area...

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: Like I said I pay $3,000.00 a Month Now, but would like to spend less... I also would like an apt/house/condo to have a Washer Dryer in it...

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: Does not matter

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: I live in the heart of Los Angeles, so I am used to the busy life... I love to socialize, and go out and have fun...

-Community amenities important to you: Nightlife, low crime rate, people around my age...

-Pie or cake? Pie...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 06:53 AM

11 posts, read 22,935 times
Good Morning TheJS26,

First let me say congratulations on your decision to move to Louisville. It is a great city and I am sure you will prosper here.
As for what you have described, I would highly advise to consider the Highlands and/or St. Matthews.

The Highlands area of town is a hub for socialization, nightlife, and culture. There are several small shops, restaurants, and bars that incorporate a large strip of Bardstown Rd. This location is also quite centrally located in the city, making it pretty easy to get anywhere you need to go, wherther it be downtown or PRP. The Highlands are quite a historic part of Louisville and property values continue to appreciate at a relatively quick rate.

St. Matthews is also a wonderful area of Louisville, set a little (and I mean little), further off the night life scenes, but not far. Both locations, depending exactly where you live, can provide the option of walking to local pups and bars and live music. St. Matthews is closer to 2 of Louisville largest area parks. It too continues to appreciate in well. I do believe the Highlands and St. Matthews are both safe areas of town as I have spent a tremendous amount of time in both locations and never had any issues with safety.
The cost of living in Louisville is quite competative and low for all that Louisville has to offer. For $3000/mo you could own a home close to a $300,000 home in either of these areas that offers way more than just 2 BR and a washer/dryer hook up. Have you considered purchasing? The reason I ask is because right now is a prime time to buy, interest rates are at record lows and there is also the $8000 tax credit. I would be more than happy to discuss futher if you like (feel free to contact me direct.)
There are also rentals in these areas, single family homes, duplexes, and apartments that may better meet your goals.

Hopefully this helps. Here are some links as well:

The Highlands Louisville - Profile of the Highlands Louisville

St. Matthews Louisville - Profile of St. Matthews Louisville

Sincerely,

Mary Mattingly

Old 04-10-2009, 08:12 AM

153 posts, read 498,334 times
I'd have to agree 100% with Mary and think you should add Crescent Hill along Frankfort Avenue to your selection.
I've lived all over and the Highlands and Crescent Hill are as real as any urban neighborhoods outside of the big 5-10 U.S. cities. They are large neighborhoods and are chalk full of young professionals in your age group.
The only downside is the average age of the properties; most of the stock is nearing 100 years old at this point but the properties are very well maintained.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:14 AM

6,848 posts, read 14,541,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMattingly View Post
Good Morning TheJS26,

First let me say congratulations on your decision to move to Louisville. It is a great city and I am sure you will prosper here.
As for what you have described, I would highly advise to consider the Highlands and/or St. Matthews.

The Highlands area of town is a hub for socialization, nightlife, and culture. There are several small shops, restaurants, and bars that incorporate a large strip of Bardstown Rd. This location is also quite centrally located in the city, making it pretty easy to get anywhere you need to go, wherther it be downtown or PRP. The Highlands are quite a historic part of Louisville and property values continue to appreciate at a relatively quick rate.

St. Matthews is also a wonderful area of Louisville, set a little (and I mean little), further off the night life scenes, but not far. Both locations, depending exactly where you live, can provide the option of walking to local pups and bars and live music. St. Matthews is closer to 2 of Louisville largest area parks. It too continues to appreciate in well. I do believe the Highlands and St. Matthews are both safe areas of town as I have spent a tremendous amount of time in both locations and never had any issues with safety.
The cost of living in Louisville is quite competative and low for all that Louisville has to offer. For $3000/mo you could own a home close to a $300,000 home in either of these areas that offers way more than just 2 BR and a washer/dryer hook up. Have you considered purchasing? The reason I ask is because right now is a prime time to buy, interest rates are at record lows and there is also the $8000 tax credit. I would be more than happy to discuss futher if you like (feel free to contact me direct.)
There are also rentals in these areas, single family homes, duplexes, and apartments that may better meet your goals.

Hopefully this helps. Here are some links as well:

The Highlands Louisville - Profile of the Highlands Louisville

St. Matthews Louisville - Profile of St. Matthews Louisville

Sincerely,

Mary Mattingly
Actually, St Matthews has its own nightlife strip that will arguable get about as big as lower Baxter Ave in the Highlands when Molly Malone's St Matthews opens.

The area of St Matthews that is hottest is known as the "heart of ST Matthews."

It is centered around this old theatre:

Shops Around the Vogue - Louisville, KY

In St Matthews, there are 2-3 bars which are most popular with young professionals:

Saints - Pizza, Pasta, Wine & Spirits

MySpace.com - SkyBar Louisville (VIP 3rd Friday April 17th!!!!) - 29 - Male - LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - www.myspace.com/skybarlouisville

Brendan's Restaurant & Pub - Brendan's Temporary Main - Brendan's Louisville

Of course there are many more.

Personally, I prefer downtown, the Highlands, old louisville, crescent hill, clifton, and butchtertown, but many people relocating from newer cities dont like older homes/.

3,000 a month? You wont even find 10 apartments renting for that price in the metro area. I would go ahead and buy a home or condo in one of the areas mentioned, and you will probably have mortgage payments of around 1,500 a month MAX for a luxurious, high end condo or home. If you are afirst time buyer, you will also get 8 grand cool backf rom the Feds. Good luck

Old 05-08-2009, 05:54 PM

666 posts, read 2,324,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan davis View Post
Nows the time to buy have a beautiful home in the east end near nortoms commonds and everything else this house is just about maintance free call me if you might be interested near the river and the best locations
Nortoms Commonds? Hahaha. Are you serious?

Last edited by Peter1948; 05-11-2009 at 01:29 PM..

Old 05-13-2009, 11:03 PM

7 posts, read 18,489 times
If you're in your 20's, you would really like either the Highlands or St Matthews. If you go with the Highlands, you will definitely want to see the place, the quality and price range can vary from extremely nice to very poor. It's the one area of town where people walk around and plentiful with bars and restaurants. St Matthews and Frankfort Avenue are also growing nicely in that area.

As for Shively, I haven't been in that area in many moons but if you have family in PRP and you like it there, Shively is comparable, IMHO. Personally, I would look east but that's a personal preference.

As for rent, $3K would get you almost any apartment in town. Spending less will not be a problem whatsoever.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:41 AM

63 posts, read 156,646 times
MaryMattingly~
I completely agree. Also, you might even consider the newer buildings on the waterfront. Im not sure if they are condo's or apartments or both, but after spending $3,000 a month you can afford pretty much anything in Louisville. I would advise to just go ahead and buy something though and not waste it on rent.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:43 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,486,611 times
You definately don't want Shively if you are used to LA, there is no "hustle and bustle" here.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:44 AM

63 posts, read 156,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcopper View Post
I'd have to agree 100% with Mary and think you should add Crescent Hill along Frankfort Avenue to your selection.
I've lived all over and the Highlands and Crescent Hill are as real as any urban neighborhoods outside of the big 5-10 U.S. cities. They are large neighborhoods and are chalk full of young professionals in your age group.
The only downside is the average age of the properties; most of the stock is nearing 100 years old at this point but the properties are very well maintained.
KingCooper~
I agree, Crescent Hill is def. worth checking out, it's where i live and i LOVE it. While many of the houses are very old, they are classic and some just need a little retouching. But, don't forget about all the new condo building that have popped up on Frankfort and Brownsboro Rd. I have looked at some and they are very nice, exp. for a single guy 20's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area