U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 02:41 AM

27 posts, read 196,744 times

Advertisements

21, have been working on growing an internet based business for the past few years... by design it gives me the opportunity to move "anywhere", although its more advantageous to remain central to the population. Also by design it allows me to travel... and in my travels I've encountered louisville on a handful of occasions. It stands out as being southern, but not "southern"... while still feeling somewhat like chicago. A great mix, which perfectly describes myself

Cost of living while being close to "big city" style conveniences is also a big factor... which it seems louisville does better than anywhere within 500 miles... without feeling the absolute urbanness of chicago that I don't care for.

Traffic, as touched on here in my lurking, is very little relative to chicago. I've been through HOURS of traffic before (yes at one sitting if you lou uh ville'ians can believe it), and I can't believe the "rush hour" I've been through in louisville is even considered "traffic". In chicago, thats called gapers delay. If your commute is less than 30 mins here... you probably live within walking distance of your job.

I'm in a position to move within the next month or so. I'm not pressed, but would like to enjoy the lower cost of living asap .

I have a shop waiting for me just south of 264 off 65, and intend to pick up a part time job to assist with living expenses.

Looking for a 1-2 bed apartment for the 600-650 and below range. Will stretch if its more cost effective (internet etc included, highspeed is an *absolute* must for me). Value is the key word here.

I may or may not be moving with my girlfriend... she's never quite set her ducks in a row, I don't particularly want to carry the weight of 2... not sure how long I can tolerate living with someone that currently works, has no expenses, yet has no money to speak of . We don't live together now, and relocation shares a strong possibility of near future bachelor status that I can't say I wouldn't look forward to. But, as is life/love... the move has to take all this into account at this time.

Myself, I'd be perfectly happy with a studio, microwave, and a mini-fridge stocked solely with ice cold beverages ... and solely for the value aspect I'm not against this route.

Kentucky Towers, The St. Francis, Weissinger-Gaulbert Apartments are a few that have piqued my interest.

My car is a target for thieves and will remain so as long as I own it ("perk" of the biz)... so being away from crime, and secure parking are near requirements.

I can't afford more than a 1 day "vacation" due to time constraints (yea, i'm posting this at 2:30 AM and still have stuff left to do with approx 200 miles of driving in approx 12 hours!!!) so my goal here is to get there early, and have a key list of places to check out. I want to research as much as is humanly possible before taking the trek down 65.

Any suggestions for specific available apartments given:

1-2 beds (2 beds a plus)

downtown louisville - although I'm flexible here for the right location nearby

decent area with strong preference to secure parking

most/all utilities/appliances included (i will be bringing nothing but clothes and a mattress, maybe not a mattress ), included highspeed internet a plus... I dont own a nor watch TV so cable TV is not at all important or a deciding factor

I like the idea of having a fitness center/tennis/basketball courts in the complex, but from what I've seen this will push me out of downtown and push up the final cost...

I like things that are open 24 hours.

After a few years of visiting, calculating, and getting to know places in the midwest/midsouth... l-ville is calling my name, just need some assistance finding the spot thats screaming the loudest
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 8,129 times
spkrman - I think you'll like living in Louisville. I made the move in December, 2000 from LaGrange where I lived for almost 7 years and haven't regretted it. Prior to LaGrange I lived in Homewood for 19 years so I'm quite familiar with Matteson, "The Heights" and the whole area. As I own my own condo, I'm unaware of rent levels here but an area you might well consider is in the Breckenridge/Hikes Lane area. There are more than ample rentals in the area and all the necessary facilities, such as groceries/gas stations/restaurants etc are available nearby. If it's any help for your search, the ZIP code in that area is 40220. It's near the access to I-264 on Taylorsville Rd. That would be convenient to your I-264/I-65 coordinates. My only regret on moving to Looavul is that I didn't do it 20 years earlier.

Here's an example of a rental search link for the area:

http://www.forrent.com/?CMP=CAC-Veri...id=Verizon1Apt

hudat

Old 04-03-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudat View Post
spkrman - I think you'll like living in Louisville. I made the move in December, 2000 from LaGrange where I lived for almost 7 years and haven't regretted it. Prior to LaGrange I lived in Homewood for 19 years so I'm quite familiar with Matteson, "The Heights" and the whole area. As I own my own condo, I'm unaware of rent levels here but an area you might well consider is in the Breckenridge/Hikes Lane area. There are more than ample rentals in the area and all the necessary facilities, such as groceries/gas stations/restaurants etc are available nearby. If it's any help for your search, the ZIP code in that area is 40220. It's near the access to I-264 on Taylorsville Rd. That would be convenient to your I-264/I-65 coordinates. My only regret on moving to Looavul is that I didn't do it 20 years earlier.

Here's an example of a rental search link for the area:

http://www.forrent.com/?CMP=CAC-Veri...id=Verizon1Apt

hudat
Thanks alot!

Glad to hear from someone that made the same move . Regretting not going for it is what I want to avoid. Friends/family want to tie me down here... but I just can't justify paying more for less.

I'll definitely look into the area you suggested. I've seen a few prospects in this area and its a place I may visit on my 1 day vacation . I would love to live downtown, but I'm not absolutely sure if it'll fit my lifestyle demands.

I've also looked into owning, but I wouldn't want to be tied to one place just yet - 5 years from now, though, I can't see still living in an apartment.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:39 PM

6,972 posts, read 15,091,343 times
Well, the fact that you are considering Louisville speaks volumes about how far the city has come. We are building the amenities to attract your type, yet we have low costs, friendly people, no traffic, and a southern/northern mix that perplexes people. Also, our weather is great. We had no accumulating snow at all this winter, and we have a distinct four seasons!

I will tell you what I told someone else: the best apartments in Louisville are not listed on major online rental things. Many cool rentals in the city you have to find simply by driving around and calling for rent signs in yards. Some are also listed on craigslist. Yes, most of the cool rentals are either old converted houses or older apartment complexes, just like Chicago.

The places you mentioned downtown I would definitely check out. They are all in good and safe areas. You will find downtown Louisville to be almost like a quiet "small town" compared to Chicago, yet it can get quite vibrant when you want it to. I am sort of a self proclaimed Louisville expert, and if you want to live nice, central, and dirt cheap, you need to look at http://www.barringtonplaceapt.net/index.php Barrington Place is my diagnosis for you, as it is less than 10 minutes from where you are driving to, and is centrally located to the whole metro

This place is great and has studios (that will seem HUGE compared to a Chicago studio) that include all utilities for under 500 a month. They also have 1 bedrooms for a little more and the place has been updated in the last 3 years. You may park securely in a nearby garage for under 60/month. I would look at the YMCA garage and the Water Company garage. Also, ask the Seelbach Hilton garage about specials for downtown residents. The building contains a diverse tenant mix, lots of young professionals and students, and even a rooftop deck on the 17th floor. You can probably pick up a free wireless internet signal, and the cable guy there has been known to cut "deals." lol

Now, I think one of the nicest places to open recently downtown is this:

http://www.thehenryclay.com/

You'll just have to read about it, but the place is like living in an old upscale hotel refurbished with modern granite counter kitchens, etc, and I believe he has a few units for around 700 that include everything, including all utilities, central air (which many other properties dont have), cable, and even a house phone! I would definitely at least check the place out, it is right near the other places you'll be checking downtown.

Its an exciting time downtown, and here are some of the biggest projects to be completed downtown by 2010:

www.museumplaza.net
www.riverparkplace.net
www.ironquarter.com
www.arenaauthority.com

Now, probably the coolest area in louisville is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hig...8Louisville%29

You'll want to drive around this area and check for rent signs. I would say start my search at the intersection of Highland and Cherokee Road and look from there.

Another cool area is around Frankfort and Clifton Ave. Start your search there and explore a bit at least.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:10 PM

Barrington place has been put on my "definitely check out" list - thanks! . It would seem to fit every need, and be dead on with pricing.

The henry clay may be *just* out of reach financially, but I will undoubtedly visit just to check it out.

"They are all in good and safe areas. You will find downtown Louisville to be almost like a quiet "small town" compared to Chicago, yet it can get quite vibrant when you want it to."

Good to hear! That is precisely what I'm looking for with this move, and its exactly what my experience with the city has shown me thus far.

"Well, the fact that you are considering Louisville speaks volumes about how far the city has come."

My not so well traveled girlfiend still scoffs at the idea. Looeysville is just a "small town" with nothing going on, full of "hillbillys", afterall

Old 04-03-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman View Post
Barrington place has been put on my "definitely check out" list - thanks! . It would seem to fit every need, and be dead on with pricing.

The henry clay may be *just* out of reach financially, but I will undoubtedly visit just to check it out.

"They are all in good and safe areas. You will find downtown Louisville to be almost like a quiet "small town" compared to Chicago, yet it can get quite vibrant when you want it to."

Good to hear! That is precisely what I'm looking for with this move, and its exactly what my experience with the city has shown me thus far.

"Well, the fact that you are considering Louisville speaks volumes about how far the city has come."

My not so well traveled girlfiend still scoffs at the idea. Looeysville is just a "small town" with nothing going on, full of "hillbillys", afterall
Well keep in mind that the henry clay is giving you everything, including internet and cable. In most densely populated areas, you can pick up a free wireless signal, but this may not be reliable enough for you if the internet is the "lifeblood" of your business. So, a 700 rental at Henry Clay may be comprable to a 500 rental elsewhere after you purchase premium cable and internet.

Some nights, downtown is alive and kicking on every corner, especially in the summer on Wednesdays and on saturday nights near 4th street and parts of main street. The first friday of the month there is a cool gallery hop event that will aquaint you with main and market streets:

http://www.galleryhop.org/

A similar event occurs the last friday of the month each month on frankfort avenue:

http://www.fatfridayhop.org/about.html (broken link)

Other nights after 7 downtown is just as quaint and quiet as can be, especially Sunday-Tuesday. This is slowly changing though as the downtown condo population will double by 2010. There are still places to go, but you kind of have to know where to go. keep in mind also that the chain retail is also sorely lacking downtown, but i would not expect that to last long. Just recently, www.ironquarter (broken link) was announced to help that problem. That said, every chain you could want is located in Indiana about 5-7 minutes north of downtown off I-65 and veterans parkway--target, best Buy, all that good stuff.

Bardstown rd is comprable to a "toned down" Clark street in Chicago, with less density obviously and not as many sports bars. There are also more families in this area than what you would see in Chicago, but the area stays pretty vibrant most of the night. There is even a 24 hour hookah cafe. There are lots of cool independent shops and even upscale restuarants. Tons of bars in this area too, from upscale irish pubs that look straight out of Lincon Park to hole in the wall hippie places that would be at home in say, Bucktown. Louisville offers food from Ethiopian to Vietnamese to Korean. There are other cool hoods with hidden corner spots, depending on what your "scene is." Louisville, like Chicago, is famous for hole in the wall corner bars. So let me ask you, where would you hang out in Chicago? Andersonville?Wrigleyville? Lincoln Park? Rush/Division Street? River North? River West? Bucktown/Wicker Park? ethnic hoods? or maybe even Hyde Park? Evanston? suburbs? That way, I can "diagnose" your tastes

Old 04-03-2007, 08:24 PM

I'm not into heading into the city, I despise paying so much for parking, and metra just doesn't cut it. Downtown is just a hair too long of a haul to go out, I'm passing up too many great places in the burbs getting there.

That being said, I'm into variety... the hookah cafe sounds interesting, but I could just as easily leave there, and hit a sports bar. I like to try something new everytime I go out... but if I had to settle on one scene, I'd be in a laid back not packed to the brim sports bar that served reasonably priced yet unreasonably good food. Bar louie in orland park comes to mind (dollar burger night too, I may have to stop by!).

But... if you have any suggestions on a resturant and/or bar that would fit in with starbucks/borders (but not quite snobby)... I'd probably stop by there on my visit. The girlfriend will likely be with me, thats her scene.. and she seems to believe it only exists in chicago. If she doesn't come, chances are I'll just cruise around and window shop the neighborhoods.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:55 PM

There are Borders all over the metro and a starbucks on about every corner. In fact, if you live in barrington or henry clay, you can walk to Starbucks or Borders downtown. There are 3 starbucks just downtown, and I'd say about 40 in the city easily. however, the coolest coffee and books are not chains, but locally owned. Downtown, some sweet liberal type coffee shops are highland coffee, espresso (owned by a Chicago native), blue mountain, and jeniccas. The later two keep later hours. Jeniccas is also a wine bar and is one of many wine bars in the city. Java is also pretty good but closes around 6 downtown. In the Highlands, you must try Heine Bros. we think its the best in town. Oh, and right next door to one of the Heine Brothers is Carmichael's books, which is a must see book store. Very quaint and cool. Got a taste for Chicago's Intelligentsia coffee? We have a place for that too---Old Louisville coffeehouse. How about Chicago style pizza? Got that too--Windy City pizzeria. You also have a Carmichael's on Frankfort next to another Heine Brothers come to think of it! Restaurants, coffee, and arts are Louisville's strength. I must say the sports bars here don't impress me much, although Champions downtown is pretty good.
Don't even say anything to your girlfriend. Just take her out to dinner at Proof, followed by live Jazz at the Jazz factory. The next day, take her window shoppin on Bardstown Road. She'll like Spree, Dot Fox, and General Eccentric. Then go back downtown for sushi at Raw, or even at Sapporo in the Highlands. I predict she is shocked at Louisville, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:14 AM

Hold on mr big spender

Ok, I just typed up a post about avoiding hotel $... then I realized... this is louisville, hotels are cheap! Looks like with some poking a 1 bed can be had for right around 50 with tax, perhaps some hole in the walls for less.

Gas will be approx $50 round trip, and assuming $50 for a hotel... I'd really want to keep the rest of the expenses below $50. If its a 1 day trip as previously planned, I wouldn't mind putting the otherwise hotel $ into entertainment... but perhaps going cheap and having more time to search for apartments/get a feel for the neighborhood would pay off.

Of course, I will be paying for the both of us wherever we go... if that wasn't already assumed.

Any ideas for getting the flavor of louisville on a tight budget?

Old 04-04-2007, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman View Post
Hold on mr big spender

Ok, I just typed up a post about avoiding hotel $... then I realized... this is louisville, hotels are cheap! Looks like with some poking a 1 bed can be had for right around 50 with tax, perhaps some hole in the walls for less.

Gas will be approx $50 round trip, and assuming $50 for a hotel... I'd really want to keep the rest of the expenses below $50. If its a 1 day trip as previously planned, I wouldn't mind putting the otherwise hotel $ into entertainment... but perhaps going cheap and having more time to search for apartments/get a feel for the neighborhood would pay off.

Of course, I will be paying for the both of us wherever we go... if that wasn't already assumed.

Any ideas for getting the flavor of louisville on a tight budget?
Hmmm, how about just walking/driving around the areas I mentioned? Try staying at the Motel 6 airport for a rate under 40 bucks, just book online for one person. Make sure you get non smoking, some of those rooms can smell like hell. Try eating here for super cheap food thats sooo good, its the hookah bar I metioned:

http://www.cafe-360.com/

Then check out the shops in its vicinity, just do it before 5 as many close early.

Be sure to check out:

http://www.earx-tacy.com/ which is in the same vicinity as Cafe 360.

Also try this place for breakfast or something, maybe lunch:

http://www.lynnsparadisecafe.com/

Check out this coffee shop and the area around it, just head straight south on 4th street from downtown to get there:

http://www.oldlouisville.com/Restaur...ee/default.htm

Keep going past it and you will see UofL's campus and then Churchill Downs not long after.

If you still have time, or the next day before you leave, try going in this place:

http://www.jeniccas.moonfruit.com/ (broken link)

at this and all these places, ask the people what they think about that part of town. You don't have to spend at all these places (even though they are cheap), but you may just want to use them as reference points for driving around exploring. If you want a beer, describe what you like to them and they'll give you a rec on a bar. People are friendly, and virtually the whole city is familiar with Chicago, its sort of like our really big older brother that we look up to

Also, if you check the Frankfort Avenue location of this place:

http://www.carmichaelsbookstore.com/

you will find a another cool little corridor that is eclectic and relaxed. Follow that road out to St Matthews to find Whole Foods Market and other typical chain retail. Its a inner ring suburb not far from downtown and is more tolerable than the ones further out, in that it has more young people/professionals. A suburbanish apartment complex which many people like in that St Matthews area is called Mallard Crossing. I notice it is full of very beautiful 20-25 year old women, but IMO that whole area is kind of boring for a single guy or even a young couple. That said, you may use this clothing store:
http://www.houseofdenimrocks.com/713/Home/ (broken link) as a launching point should you decide to explore St Matthews further. At least your gf will see that stores like that exist in Louisville, I know many girls who love those kinds of stores.

PS, this website sort of sums up many urbanites' attitude in Louisville:

http://www.keeplouisvilleweird.com/index2.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area