Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:38 AM

114 posts, read 243,730 times

Advertisements

Is there a train station in Louisville? If not where is the nearest one? Can you get from New York to Louisville by train and if so where is the best place for a stopover. Thought a train ride would be nice, meet the locals etc.
Any links to the US rail network please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 12:37 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,233 times
Closest train to Louisville is Cincinnati or possibly most direct from NYC to Indianapolis. Either city has good Greyhound service to Louisville then.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:52 PM

38 posts, read 131,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Liz View Post
Is there a train station in Louisville? If not where is the nearest one? Can you get from New York to Louisville by train and if so where is the best place for a stopover. Thought a train ride would be nice, meet the locals etc.
Any links to the US rail network please.
There is no train service here in Louisville, You will have to take a bus to Indy or Cinci. Sorry buddy but I would look at Indianapolis.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:02 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,739,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHDOG14 View Post
There is no train service here in Louisville, You will have to take a bus to Indy or Cinci. Sorry buddy but I would look at Indianapolis.
"here in Louisville?" But you live in Indy friend. Personally I found Indy to be one of the most bland and cultureless "large" cities in America...and I lived there.

Amtrak

Passenger rail in the US is atrocious, slow, and just awful. We are working on fixing it.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:45 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,136 times
Too bad you young whippersnappers don't remember The Floridian, which used to run through Louisville to Florida.

I looked in to taking the train from Cincy to Washington, DC, but it leaves a 3 AM!

Old 05-18-2009, 02:46 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Passenger rail in the US is atrocious, slow, and just awful. We are working on fixing it.
I personally love driving, but I hate the way anyone in most US cities who can't drive is made to feel like a vagabond. Some people have legitimate disabilities that make them legally unable to drive (like chronic seizures) or don't have the finances to afford a car payment and insurance - that doesn't make them sub-human

In the 1910-30s America cities were made equally for cars and public transit (mostly street cars) - that is what we need to return to, places where cars, pedestrians, and transit has equal rights

Old 05-18-2009, 03:56 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,739,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I personally love driving, but I hate the way anyone in most US cities who can't drive is made to feel like a vagabond. Some people have legitimate disabilities that make them legally unable to drive (like chronic seizures) or don't have the finances to afford a car payment and insurance - that doesn't make them sub-human

In the 1910-30s America cities were made equally for cars and public transit (mostly street cars) - that is what we need to return to, places where cars, pedestrians, and transit has equal rights
I agree....can you imagine if a trolley ran down bardstown road to the douglass loop and back downtown via baxter and jefferson street??? It would pass by a refurbished Liberty Green, a spanking new arts district in east market, a new open air farmer's market on Jefferson, and by tons of light industry brownfields on the east edge of downtown ripe for development with 4-5 story midrises and town homes.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:34 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Too bad you young whippersnappers don't remember The Floridian, which used to run through Louisville to Florida.

I looked in to taking the train from Cincy to Washington, DC, but it leaves a 3 AM!
My Mom used to take that train to and from Florida when I was little!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:17 PM

114 posts, read 243,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post

Oh dear, sounds pretty grim! Thought it would be nice to 'do' the train, might just fly in from New York or hire a car and drive the distance. Just wanted a slice of real America, not the touristy stuff. Can I handle a maximum speed limit of 55mph though? Btw how much is your petrol? Ours is so expensive - £4.35 a gallon (sold in litres however!), most of that is tax!!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:35 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Liz View Post
Oh dear, sounds pretty grim! Thought it would be nice to 'do' the train, might just fly in from New York or hire a car and drive the distance. Just wanted a slice of real America, not the touristy stuff. Can I handle a maximum speed limit of 55mph though? Btw how much is your petrol? Ours is so expensive - £4.35 a gallon (sold in litres however!), most of that is tax!!
Speed limit is 70 mph on rural interstates. Gas is around $2.30 a gallon and will be going up during the summer months like it always does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area