U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:55 PM

7,021 posts, read 15,209,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
errrr... STX, did Holy Cross close? Last I heard it was wide open, co-ed, Catholic and in Jefferson County?
Tom, Holy Cross is alive and well. I stand corrected.

To JayJay, I would choose Christian Acadamey given those choices, but if I was you I would strongly consider the Catholic schools instead. Religion is not pushed and if anything I understand they are more spiritual than Catholic (much to the chagrin of hardcore Catholics).

The best schools in the area, public OR private, are St Xavier, Trinity, Sacred Heart, or Assumption. There are several great choices for k-8 as well, among them St Agnes and St Rapheal to name a few. These are also great neighborhoods to live in, around all these schools for families. This is what gives Louisville such a unique feel. You have families sending kids to these schools living in these areas that you simply just do not see in big cities like Chicago, and you can live on a very urban and pedestrian friendly street like Bardstown Road, which is a "mini" clark st or what have you, yet it has as many families as hipsters and yuppies.

KCD and Collegiate, as well as just behind Walden, also have great reps, but they are generally twice as expensive and simply smaller and not worth it compared to the "big 4" Catholic schools IMO (this is all based on what I hear from former work colleagues). There are some other small private schools which are stellar, but not on the same level as the others (those schools you are looking at are good too, but why drive all the way to Christian Acadamy if you want to live downtown? Notably, they do have a Indiana campus that is closer to downtown.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 07:02 PM

666 posts, read 2,384,831 times
I agree with stx, I graduated from Trinity not TOO long ago, and from what I hear, it has only gotten better. Last I heard they had 8 science labs, the most in the state, and they also have state of the art athletic facilities. I know many people who attended, and attend, Trinity, St. X, Sacred Heart, Assumption, Christian Academy, and Collegiate. If anything, Christian Academy pushes religion even more than the catholic schools. Many families who have children at CAL attend Southeast Christian and are more religious IMO than the catholic school families. When I was at Trinity, you were expected to go to the masses (maybe 3 a year), but you didn't have to participate. There were many Jewish kids that went there with me, and a few who didn't practice any religion. You have to take 3 years of religion, but they were more like religious history classes rather than "to get to heaven do this" classes. The catholic grade schools push religion more, like going to mass once a week, and daily religion classes. Bottom line, you get more bang for your buck at the catholic schools rather than the private schools. I've kept in touch with Trinity and have relatives who still go there and the other local grade and high schools so if you need any info let me know.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:19 AM

3 posts, read 5,355 times
Smile private schools louisville

We moved to Louisville from charlotte nc in 2007. Attended best private school in NC, (Charlotte Latin) and put our children in KY Country Day. My daughter was a rising junior, had a difficult time socially as girls were very 'clicky'. My son was a rising 7th grader, adjusted immediately, never looked back. He is now in 10th grade. Education is outstanding. Very small class sizes and lots of individual attention. While it is expensive, we see it as our best investment. The great thing about Louisville is the large selection when it comes to schools, public, private, Catholic etc. We love it here. It's super friendly and a wonderful place to raise a family. We wouldn't go back to charlotte, although the winters here are terribly gray, Spring more than makes up for it!!! GORGEOUS!!! Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area